1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to Tundra and i'm an idiot. Halp.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Katkill3r, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Oct 26, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    Katkill3r

Katkill3r [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    None cause i just bought it and poor as fuck
    For background, I just hit 30 and have no idea what im doing. I just bought my first Tundra after some serious repair abuse from my previous vehicles. I'm coming from an Audi S4. Before that I owned an A4, VW passat and Jetta. So I legit have zero understanding of trucks or lifts or anything. Treat me like a retard. I am a retard. I accept and own it. I am sorry.

ANYWAYS so I just bought this tundra because I've been severely abused by volkswagen and audi repair bills and finally just wanted to go to something that is 1000% reliable and everywhere I read says that is the Tundra. So, i bought a tundra. Yay. It is sexy and I like it. Just a basic truck that will do what i want for a couple hundred thousand miles without raping me with a minimum of 1k bills every couple months. (Legit the S4 left wiper broke and it was a 1400 dollar repair.)

So, FINALLY, to the question. I keep seeing the 3/2 lifts for the tundra and i've looked at like before and after photos and I really like it. Can someone just link me a Hey, Buy this. This is what you want. I dont want spacers that will fuck the truck up. I dont plan on going offroad but do plan on moving to Oregon soon where there is lots of off road logging trails and soft sand beaches and sand dunes etc etc. Someone just tell me what to buy. Please. I am an idiot.

Love you.
    katkill3r

edit: just realized should probably tell you about the truck. 2018 sr5 crewcab. Stock from what I can tell.

Edit #2 heres a pic dont be dirty. https://imgur.com/4stzEt0

Edit #3 budget under 2000. Obiously less is better but more like best value for price is what i'm looking for.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    MyActualName and Bob_Wiley like this.
  2. Oct 26, 2020 at 7:41 PM
    alwzdfiant

alwzdfiant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crew Max
    First thing everyone is going to ask is what is your budget

3. Oct 26, 2020 at 7:44 PM
    NCTundra18

NCTundra18 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Candler, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Limited Crewmax
    TRD dual exhaust, Rough Country lift kit and too much money spent.
    Welcome from Western NC.

4. Oct 26, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    Katkill3r

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Under 2k. Like 2k is the high end would prefer under 1k. But I plan to own this thing forever so if i have to sink some money into it and it's worth it then i'm cool with it.

5. Oct 26, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    Caveman

Caveman New Member

Member:
    Welcome! Depending on budget, a quick easy way to lift 2 or 3 inches up front without going with spacers is a Bilstein 6112 coil over. For the rear match it with Bilstein 5160 and get a set of rear spring shackles.
    Simple, reliable, straight forward to install and not going to break the bank.

6. Oct 26, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    alwzdfiant

alwzdfiant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crew Max
    AZBoatHauler, WesternFlyer and iyaman like this.
  7. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    If you want it to be as reliable as possible.....leave it stock.

if you have to have a lift, get bilstein 6112 in the front and 5160 in the rear

8. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    Katkill3r

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    This, This is what I wanted. Thank you. Can you walk me through some of the options? Diff Drop? Brake line and ABS wire relocation kit? Billet Clamps? Front sway bar relo kit? Shackle Bushing? UCAs? I know this is a lot to ask, and i wouldnt ask it if i wasnt an idiot. thanks!
    ?BI

9. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    alwzdfiant

alwzdfiant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crew Max
    I believe you will need a diff drop if you have a 4x4, I did not use a brake line or abs relocation kit. The clamps are what are used to hold the rear shock and reservoir together. You’ll get mixed opinions on upper control arms. “Usually” you don’t need them with under 3 inches in the front

10. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    What part of Oregon are you moving too? Maybe wait till you get here. Ironman USA headquarters is in Wilsonville. Their Foam Cell Pro stage 2 kit with upper control arms and new rear leafs is right about your price point. The coil overs are rebuildable. I have zero personal experience with this kit on a Tundra but have their stage 3 on my wife's 2019 4Runner.

Link for the various kits they have. https://ironman4x4america.com/categ...=pricedesc&Make=Toyota&Model=Tundra&Year=2019

They are sold and installed by the majority of the local Toyota dealers as well.

Welcome to Oregon when you get here.

11. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    Katkill3r

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    I actually grew up on the Oregon Coast and lived in Oregon until mid twenties and had to leave for work. But dear god do I miss Oregon. So when I say I plan to be in Oregon soon, I am trying everything I can in my professional career to get back to Oregon. As of now theres no set date, other then that I'm sad when I go to sleep that I am not in Oregon.

Juanjoolio007[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    Katkill3r

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Okay so I have the 4x4 so yes of diff drop. Do i need the clamps for the rear shock and reservoir or no? Like ill get it if its needed but if its just unnecessary bs ill skip it.

13. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:31 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

You can start here or send a PM to @Toytec Lifts and tellthem what you want to do and spend.

A-A-Ron and Katkill3r[OP] like this.
  14. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    alwzdfiant

alwzdfiant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crew Max
    9F8D0BAA-D78C-4364-8362-2C5995594F4B.jpg
    I believe it comes with some cheap Hose clamps. I think I bought these

Katkill3r[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:37 PM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    91CED53C-A10C-47C4-B1EC-D7E16AC57B74.gif

couldn’t resist :bananadance::cheers:

16. Oct 26, 2020 at 8:48 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    Call Wheeler’s Off Road and talk to them. I’m not going to get into what’s best, everyone has their own opinion.

I went with the Eibach Pro Truck shocks and springs. Also the Icon expansion pack. I got 2.5-3” lift in the front and about 1-1.5” in the rear. I did this for about $900 (good sale at Wheeler’s).

Bilstein is the popular route here, but I had two different site vendors both tell me they thought the Eibach setup was a better value without sacrificing much performance.

Per Wheeler’s, I did not do a diff drop, brake line extension or carrier bearing drop. Stock UCAs and no alterations to the sway bar.

Katkill3r[OP] likes this.
  17. Oct 26, 2020 at 9:06 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    No to diff drop. You really don't wanna change the angle and put stress on the pinion gear. Better to have the added stress (from increased angles due to lifting the truck) on the CVs. Easier and cheaper to replace a CV than gears. That said, for either CV or gears to fail is very uncommon.
    Tundras have very narrow leaf springs and they go flat very quickly IME. Therefore, I think an expansion pack (Deaver makes one) is better than just shackles. Shackle are however, still better than a block.
    Just $.02 from a fellow idiot.

TG705, Katkill3r[OP] and JLS in WA like this.
  18. Oct 26, 2020 at 9:56 PM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    From your earlier posts it seems like you don’t do your own wrenching. With even the cheapest coilover 3/2 set up, you are going to be looking at $2000 installed.

And you haven’t even put tires on it yet. 3/2 lift on stock tires is pointless for logging roads / beach.

If you want dead reliable, then just throw a pair of good AT tires on it, and call it done.

Katkill3r[OP] and TheBlackPearl like this.
  19. Oct 26, 2020 at 9:59 PM
    TelemarkTumalo

TelemarkTumalo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro Double Cab Army Green
    Driver side grab handle Door sill protectors Falken WildPeak 295/70 R18 X-Pel clear front paint protection 20% front window tint Go Rhino RB20 side steps - Bedliner finish Lock'er Down 1/2 console safe Toyota bed cargo divider Toyota auto tail gate lock
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to Oregon, neighbor. You have bought a great truck and it looks fantastic, as is. I know it is so tempting to begin the modifications and I can tell that you will. You mention the Oregon coast, sand, logging roads, etc. But, you don't mention where you are moving to in Oregon. It is a really wild state still and lots of topography differences depending on where you will live, work and recreate. I've lived in Astoria (NW Oregon coast), Portland (metropolitan concrete jungle) and now live in Bend (high desert and about 75% of the state). My fun trips with my Tundra take me all over and my needs are different depending on where I go, and the travel distances can be daunting, especially if you are not used to the west. I say that because a big lift and mud tires can be great if you don't travel far, but not so great if you want to explore NE Oregon, Snake River Canyon or the Owyhee. You mention that you are interested in a lift and have a budget of $2000. You should be able to pull that off easily with lots of options out there. I won't bore you with my opinion. Obviously, if you are good with a wrench you can save money, or do more, by purchasing and installing yourself. About 50% of the cost, fairly goes to the installer. Keep in mind, that most installers are selling you what they can purchase and make best profit on.

Consider this though. You are moving to a new state, a new community and I dare say, a new climate. Your needs and wants may change after you get here. I say this not out of sage advice, but from the perspective of someone who has experienced similar. That truck of yours is gorgeous as is. Consider arriving here in Oregon, scout out the territory, find your space and then use your newfound experience to decide where your money and effort may be better spent. For example, if you are at the coast, you may be tempted by surfing, fishing, kayaking. If you are in the Willamette Valley, you might want to golf or 4 wheel in a cart. If in central and eastern Oregon, you might be tempted by mountain biking, skiing, hunting or ADV motorbiking. This state has outdoor adventures galore.

As is, it looks like you truck can easily make the trip here, then do just fine browsing and exploring the state. And, most of us need our trucks to be a daily driver. Moderation in all things.

20. Oct 26, 2020 at 11:33 PM
    Vin63

Vin63 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 DC
    Like everyone else said, the best bang for buck is the bilstein 6112 front and 5160 rear shocks. Can get for $730-850 on ebay assembled, offers up to 2.5" lift iirc. Your savings will easily be spent on other mods :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  21. Oct 27, 2020 at 4:15 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Welcome from LA (Lower Alabama)! You probably know this already, since you have driven the truck a little, but be careful. Driving a truck is not like driving a car. It weighs more and has a higher center of gravity, which affects handling and braking ability. Lifting it will only make for a higher center of gravity, which could get dangerous if you don't understand the effect on how your truck moves during driving.

I agree with @TelemarkTumalo. Especially with a limited budget. Don't do anything unless you know you need it for the driving you will be doing. The Tundra is very capable with its stock design. You may well find that you can find better uses for that $2000.

22. Oct 27, 2020 at 4:31 AM
    ScarWars

ScarWars New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO Super White
    this^

23. Oct 27, 2020 at 4:39 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
  24. Oct 27, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
  25. Oct 27, 2020 at 6:29 AM
    Katkill3r

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Hey I really appreciate your sage advice! I actually grew up on the Oregon Coast and am doing everything I can to get back. Because Of my work I can only move to Eugene or Portland, and I really have no interest in living in Portland (it's lovely, just not for me) so I'm looking to moving to eugene hopefully soon. I'm just looking for a setup that will allow me to get up to the mountains and snowboard in the winter and maybe take to the dunes / offroading occasionally. Obviously the lift isn't really needed for either.... but I want it. lol. Anyways really just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome! Hopefully we can be neighbors soon!

26. Oct 27, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    Katkill3r

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    But I see all these other sexy lifted Tundras and I want to be one of the cool kids.

akmerle[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Oct 28, 2020 at 5:27 AM
    TelemarkTumalo

TelemarkTumalo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro Double Cab Army Green
    Driver side grab handle Door sill protectors Falken WildPeak 295/70 R18 X-Pel clear front paint protection 20% front window tint Go Rhino RB20 side steps - Bedliner finish Lock'er Down 1/2 console safe Toyota bed cargo divider Toyota auto tail gate lock
    No doubt about it, Tundras look great lifted or leveled. I hope your plans for moving back to Oregon work out for you. I moved here 28 years ago, and I can't imagine living anywhere else. Keep us posted on your truck build.

28. Oct 28, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    1. call wheelers off road in OR.
    2. buy what they tell you to for a budget 3/2 lift (prob the bilsteins already mentioned, no diff drop, prob a spacer for drivers side).
    3. mention the forum, get a discount.
    4. borrow a jack, jack stands, a large metric socket set, and a torque wrench. better yet, throw it all in your truck, and take it along with some beer to a buddy who has said tools, and wrench away.
    5. or, watch a youtube video or two for easy step by step instructions. if you can follow instructions on the back of a mac n cheese box, you can install assembled coilovers and rear shocks/shackles/add-a-leafs with a youtube video.
    6. you are now a MAN who drives a damn TRUCK. you can DO STUFF. buy more tools to take home in your truck to do more stuff (this is at least 53% of the reason to own a truck).

and welcome to the forum.

RJVA, GarTX526, Mac5attack and 3 others like this.
  29. Nov 7, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    Katkill3r

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Just a little update: Got the rear shocks installed this morning, waiting for the shackle to ship to do those. I'll probably let a shop do the coilovers up front, I watched some videos and it seems pretty labor intensive, and it's just me doing it. I tried to get my wife to help get the rears aligned for the bolt and it was easier to just use a screwdriver and a jack.

You guys got any good recommendations for tires and rims that will fit nicely with the new lift? Let me know.

https://imgur.com/a/M9KCQHi

FrenchToasty and TelemarkTumalo like this.
  30. Nov 7, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    Doctor Flex

Doctor Flex Just browsing...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2020 White 1794 TRD
    TRD Pro skid, Line-X, Tonneau, drivers grab handle, wireless charger, RB 20's, TRD Pro wheels, Gator Liners.
    Welcome from the Wasatch Front.

Products Discussed in

To Top