1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New owner here and I need some advice. I want to lift my Sequoia.

Discussion in 'Sequoia Builds' started by YotaFan2018, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Aug 6, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    YotaFan2018

YotaFan2018 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good day everyone. I was finally able to purchase my dream SUV a few months ago, which is a 2018 Toyota Sequoia SR5 RWD in Silver Sky Metallic. After a few months of saving up, I now have some money to invest in a lift kit. I have been reading around different forums and was set on purchasing the 3 inch ReadyLIFT kit until I came across a YouTube review claiming that there will be issues down the road with this particular kit. My Sequoia is not a 4WD, and I am not planning on doing serious off roading. Just mild overlanding and cruising around the dunes camping every once in a while. I have read around this forums earlier, and I love the looks of some of the Sequoias they built. I forgot the names of the users, but I would love for mine to have that more aggressive lifted look. Can anyone suggest a built or even give me a real experience with ReadyLIFT? Thank you all in advanced. Hope to hear from you soon.

2. Aug 6, 2022 at 5:49 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Welcome to the forum. I think your best bet for Sequoia-specific parts is Dobinsons. Another option might be the OEM TRD Fox kit that comes on the Sequoia Pro…I would think it’s a bolt-on mod with a mild lift in the front like the Tundra.

Here is a link to Dobinson’s 2nd gen Sequoia parts and a full lift kit you can buy from them.

I’m looking for the right price on a 2nd gen Sequoia. Such a great vehicle with lots of utility.

Tundra Fan likes this.
  3. Aug 6, 2022 at 11:19 PM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    Thank you for responding. I read about the Dobinsons lift kit in a few forums, and so far have not read anything negative about them. One of the reasons why I was leaning more towards ReadyLIFT is because it seems to offer the tallest lift at a more affordable price. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I don't want my Sequoia to have the squat look where the front end sits taller. I have no plans in installing those giant 35 off road tires either, so I want to maximize height with the lift kit.

Best of luck on your search. They are great SUVs and is literally the Jack of all trades. Took me about a week to negotiate the price because the market prices are crazy high right now.

Came across this YouTube video. This is exactly the look I want to achieve.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axzjTm2_sUY

4. Aug 7, 2022 at 6:53 AM
    hoof hearted

hoof hearted New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia Limited 4WD
    Welcome to the forum. These Sequoias are very versatile vehicles. For lift options, in addition to the Dobinsons site, you can check out https://exitoffroad.com/ (Mike) and https://www.1stgenoffroad.com/#/ (Josh). Shoot these guys an email. They can provide good feedback on how to approach your desired lift and look. I emailed both with my question when I was shopping and received prompt replies. Good luck.

5. Aug 7, 2022 at 11:48 AM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    I will definitely look into those websites. Did you end up lifting your Sequoia? If so, how which set up did you go for and has been it reliable? I am also looking around for the best shops around my area. I called a highly rated lift shop yesterday, but told me they don't do suspension work temporarily due to a faulty lift in their shop. The best lift shop I know is 88Rotors, but they are about 4 hours away from my home city.

6. Aug 7, 2022 at 11:49 AM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    I was browsing around the web, and came across this lifted Sequoia. Anyone have an idea on the lift kit that was installed in this SUV? Looks really good.

SEQ.jpg
    SEQA.jpg
    SEQB.jpg

Peeeheeuuu likes this.
  7. Aug 7, 2022 at 12:25 PM
    hoof hearted

hoof hearted New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia Limited 4WD
    I went with Dobinsons springs and their IMS shocks. I installed them myself. They’ve been great so far. 2.5” up front and 1.75” in the rear. The rear springs are a PITA.

8. Aug 8, 2022 at 11:54 PM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    How much did it cost you overall and did you notice a descrease in gas mileage? I will definitely have a reputable shop install it if that is the case lol. Do you have any pictures of your Sequoia?

I ran across this thread on this forums. I wish the OP can chime in. I would not hesitate to emulate his build.
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/here-we-go.89272/

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  9. Aug 13, 2022 at 10:10 AM
    farnsrocket

farnsrocket New Member

Member:
    I did a lot of research before I lifted my 14' Limited. I didn't want to go crazy with a lift, because I'm mainly using my truck to haul the family and our stuff on vacation trips and don't do much serious off roading, but I wanted to have the option to be able to do some trails and off road stuff here and there. At one point I bought a Ready Lift kit, then I read this article and returned it. :rofl: I researched more and more and finally saved up enough and went with what I feel is a way better option. :evil: I went with a 1.75" instead of 2.5" to maintain some more road control but still have some clearance on any mild off road stuff. Same idea with 18" rims and 33" tires instead of 17" rims and huge 35" tires.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/bilstein-6112’s-and-dobinsons-1-75”-springs-shocks.96411/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Terndrerrr likes this.
  10. Aug 14, 2022 at 12:35 AM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    Thanks for the input. I thought my thread was dead at this point lol. I heard mixed opinions about ReadyLift, but the link you shared is truly concerning. It concerns me though that some people still stand behind RL, and argue that it is still a great choice as long as you don't do any serious off reading. I am now learning more about the lifts that were recommended above. I just have to postpone my lift because they cost more than expected. I am willing to pay more as long as it is the best and most reliable set up. How is the gas mileage now also compared to stock?

farnsrocket[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 14, 2022 at 1:13 AM
    farnsrocket

farnsrocket New Member

Member:
    Yeah sometimes there isn’t a lot of activity on this forum. :(
    I wanted to get my truck lifted so bad but I’m glad I waited it out a little longer. I haven’t noticed any significant change in gas mileage, maybe a couple mpg’s. I think my wheels/tires affected that more than the lift.
    Another thing I ordered and cancelled were Bilstein 5100’s. Seems like everyone and their mom uses these for their lift projects. When I spoke to a Bilstein technician, he told me they were designed to be used with stock springs only, no lifted springs. He said they can over-extend with lifted springs and become damaged. He even told me he knew people used them on lifted projects all the time but they really shouldn’t. So take that how you want to. They are a popular aftermarket shock and I am sure most of the guys that do use them aren’t putting them through any crazy off road scenarios so they are probably fine for the street.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  12. Aug 17, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    Talon

Talon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Sequoia
    Lifted, TRD swaybars,
    I see that you are wanting to do a lift on your Sequoia. What kind of suspension system do you have? If you have the air system. Then this will require you to go a different direction. But if you don't.
    Doing it yourself is the most affordable way to get the lift. But, you will need some special tools. Your biggest obstacle is going to be the rear coil springs. This requires a curtain spring compressor. Do you research on this!!!
    Have you looked at the Bilstein
    6112 for the front? These shocks come with coil springs. Note: you can use a regular set of spring compressors on the front coils.

EvoTundra and farnsrocket like this.
  13. Aug 17, 2022 at 7:37 PM
    Talon

Talon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Sequoia
    Lifted, TRD swaybars,
  14. Aug 17, 2022 at 7:40 PM
    Talon

Talon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Sequoia
    Lifted, TRD swaybars,
    This is how my Sequoia turned out..

farnsrocket likes this.
  15. Aug 17, 2022 at 7:47 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    Welcome, I have a '13 with Bilstein 5100s & 1.75 Dobinsons & love it.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 7.46.32 PM.jpg

Peeeheeuuu, Talon and farnsrocket like this.
  16. Aug 21, 2022 at 10:00 PM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    Good evening everyone. Thanks for responding. I have a 2018 SR5 RWD only, no 4WD. I have looked in on the lifts you guys recommended and so far I like what they offer. I called another local shop in my area, and technician suggested that ReadyLift would be my best option considering my Sequoia is not a 4WD and I have no intentions of taking it for serious off roading. He told me that they have installed ReadyLift kits on so many Tacomas and Tundras and claims that none of the owners are experiencing any reliability issues. I am honestly still skeptical about RL. Talon and E30. Your SUVs look awesome. That is the look I want to achieve for my Sequoia. I am going to try and contact a highly rated lift shop from a town 30 minutes away. I will ask about Bilstein and the lifts you guys recommended in this thread. Thank you all again for your time.

17. Aug 22, 2022 at 11:38 AM
    El_Chingon_Sequoia

El_Chingon_Sequoia New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sequoia
    Stock as a rock
    In 2wd with more of an appearance based use, ready lift is fine. If you're not happy with it, you could switch to a dobs lift down the road. Tandem Offroad also has some affordable options.

18. Oct 7, 2022 at 8:33 AM
    Chris1456

Chris1456 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    13 Sequoia limited 4x4
    Readylift lift/leveling kit 18" method wheels and falken wildpeaks
    I have a 13 Sequoia limited 4x4 and have the readylift kit. Zero issues with it and had it for 10k miles so far. No offroading just some dirt/gravel roads. Truck runs very smooth but i also did new shocks with the kit since one of my originals had a leak so i changed em all with oem again. I run 18" method wheels with falken wildpeak at3 35" tires

S. Equoia likes this.
  19. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:03 PM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    Thanks for the input. Do you have any pictures of your ride? I am still having trouble finding a reputable shop in my area. I am saving up a bit more because I am thinking of taking my Sequoia to a lift shop a few hours away from me. Is the ReadyLift kit you have installed the same as the one in the video I posted? I want to get the 3 inch lift in ReadyLift is reliable. I am just nervous that a spacer lift will eventually wear out in the middle of a long road trip.

20. Oct 11, 2022 at 6:38 AM
    mike.tihonchik

mike.tihonchik New Member

Member:
    Here are couple of images of my 2018 TRD Sport with ReadyLift installed...

21. Oct 11, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    Chris1456

Chris1456 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    13 Sequoia limited 4x4
    Readylift lift/leveling kit 18" method wheels and falken wildpeaks
    This is my beast. Readylift kit and new oem shocks replaced. Rides great and is still smooth and quiet with this setup. Been on for about a year now, and went from fl to pa and back and then just went to nyc and back zero noise or issues

IMG_20220919_172932.jpg
    IMG_20220919_172912.jpg

22. Oct 11, 2022 at 6:24 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    Check out Toytec as well for lift kits specific for Toyotas. @Toytec Lifts

23. Oct 15, 2022 at 5:03 PM
    Peeeheeuuu

Peeeheeuuu New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Elk Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver CM 4x4
    What's your budget?

24. Oct 15, 2022 at 5:13 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Specs? 2WD or 4WD?

25. Oct 25, 2022 at 6:55 PM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    Thank you all for responding, and sharing pictures of your rides! They all look so monstrous I love it! I still have not got a hold of the highly rated lift shop in my area. I have been busy and not have been shopping around or doing research as much as before. I looked into the lifts of Toytec and Bilstein. They would be my first choice, but after calculating everything, my final bill would be around the 3ks.

I also forgot to ask everyone here who got a lift. Do you have to perform any additional maintenance on the springs or suspension? I read in another thread that every lift should be serviced almost every other oil change to ensure that they are in proper working order. The issue with that is the shop I am looking into is quite far from where I live. I am not sure if my Toyota dealership will be able to perform such maintenance. Thanks again everyone.

26. Oct 25, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    farnsrocket

farnsrocket New Member

Member:
    No, I’ve never heard of any kind of tedious maintenance routine like that.
    After I installed my lift, I took it to my Toyota dealer and had them do a full alignment and that’s it. I don’t plan to do anything else unless I have an issue, hear weird noises or think something is off with my alignment. Even then I’d try to troubleshoot it myself and do a visual on all the components to see if there is something wrong. I’ve got 15k miles on my new suspension now which included a Florida trip and a Georgia trip with the family from Ohio and have had no issues.

27. Nov 3, 2022 at 5:36 PM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    Good to know that! I read a lot of input from a lot of different owners, and it honestly causes a lot of mixed feelings and confusion lol. What about you guys who have ReadyLift kits? Any added maintenance on the suspension as your mileage increases? I called the lift shop that I was looking at and the technician does not seem to be very knowledgeable or confident with his answers. This actually made me lose hope in that shop because the last thing I want is a lift kit that is not installed properly. Talked to my Toyota dealership and they told me that lift kits voids warranty and that they will not install it unless it is OEM Toyota. Still on a mission to find a reputable shop who stands by their work. Was going to ask you guys too about gas mileage and performance. Anyone notice a decrease in MPG or acceleration? I am not planning on installing 35s just yet if I do get the lift.

farnsrocket[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Nov 3, 2022 at 5:42 PM
    farnsrocket

farnsrocket New Member

Member:
    Read this thread: It changed my mind about them and I returned the kit I had just purchased off Amazon! :D:evil:

29. Nov 4, 2022 at 10:38 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    You will see a hit on MPG and some on performance with just adding 33s. With some lift and E load 33s, expect to see 1-2MPG drop. Of course, the larger and heavier the tires, the greater hit on MPG. Expect 2-3 drop with 35s, could be more depending how you drive. Part of the game.

30. Nov 13, 2022 at 5:11 PM
    YotaFan2018

Member:
    Quick update. I spoke to a local guy who runs an independent shop. He was recommended by an acquaintance who had his Tacoma lifted in that shop. He told me the best option for my situation would be the ReadyLift kit due to the fact that my Sequoia is a 2WD and that I won't use it for any serious off roading. He also informed me that I can go the ToyTec route, but estimated that would cost me close to the $3.5k range because I want the 3 inch lift. I told him that I will keep him posted, but I am honestly sold with the ReadyLift or a spacer lift. I just read other threads posted on here about RL, and I don't want to take the risks around it. Did not know a good lift would cost that much. I have to shop around or postpone it for now. I also don't want to do it on my own. I am not too mechanically inclined and would rather have it done at a shop professionally.

farnsrocket likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top