1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member with Tundra Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by nrh1970, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Apr 20, 2022 at 3:01 PM
    nrh1970

nrh1970 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4
    Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2004 Tundra (4.7L SR5 4x4 Access Cab) and I have a few questions about it. The truck has just over 122K on it and I have no knowledge of the timing belt ever being done on it. I just ordered the AISIN kit (with tensioner) and I'm wondering if I need any specialty tools to hold the cams or crankshaft? If so, does someone have a link? I've read that you do and that you don't, so I'm becoming confused. Maybe there is a slight difference in the later 1st gens where you need one?

My next question has to do with the frame. The frame on my pickup is solid and I would like to do what I can to preserve it. I live in Iowa and would like to make it last as long as possible, so what is the best way to keep it solid and strong? Clean it really well and POR-15?

Thanks for the help, and I'll try to get some pictures posted later! I'm new to Toyota pickups and so far I'm really enjoying it, even though I'm parking it until the timing belt is replaced.

2. Apr 20, 2022 at 3:15 PM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    Welcome aboard!

I finished my timing belt using the same kit on my '04 a few weeks ago. You don't need a special tool to hold the cams on this year, but I highly recommend this tool for holding the crank steady. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q1W36L7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Here's a picture of the tool in action I put a 1/2" breaker bar reinforced by pipe on it -

Loosening the crank (use a 2x4 or something to avoid hitting the cooler lines):

tundy (54).jpg

Torqueing the crank:

tundy (3).jpg

The 05-06 models are VVTI so they might require something for the cams. IDK. But on an '04 you don't need anything to hold the cams, just make sure the timing marks remain in sync.

Good luck! A harmonic balancer puller also comes in handy but it's not too tough to get off in my case. You can maybe rent one at a parts store.

3. Apr 20, 2022 at 3:30 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

4. Apr 20, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
  5. Apr 20, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    Welcome. Fluid film is the easiest way but you have to do it yearly. POR-15 allows you to do it once and then you’ll need to touch it up every 5 years or so. It’s a huge PIA to work with. You need a tarp, clothes you’re willing to throw away and a need to protect your hands and hair from getting the stuff on because it doesn’t come off.

des2mtn likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top