1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Lighting Laws

Discussion in 'North East U.S.' started by farm&forest, May 13, 2021.

1. May 13, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    farm&forest

farm&forest [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 TRD-Off Road Double Cab
    Dobinsons 2-3" Complete Suspension Kit w/ medium Dobs Leafs, Decked Drawer System, Leitner Forged ACS Rack, Line-Xed bed and Line-Xed Tyger Blade Steps, Wet Okole seat covers, VLED lighting, soon to add Swith Pro and auxillary lights
    Anybody have experience/familiar with NH lighting laws?...

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-hampshire/2015/title-xxi/chapter-266/

https://www.liftlaws.com/new_hampshire_lift_laws.htm

https://kensun.com/pages/new-hampshire

I am looking to clarify legality/permissibility of:

-(Selective Yellow SAE) fogs
    -A-pillar Spots (2)
    -Side-facing bedrack work lights- one on each corner of rack (4)
    -Aux. Back-up lights (2)

I actually already ordered these lights. Except for the fogs, I won't be lighting any of the others on the road, but I am interested to know the laws in case of a traffic stop and in order to pass vehicle inspection without complication.

-From what I see the fogs will are ok as long as they are SAE compliant...I don't think the 'amber' color restriction applies here.

-the A-pillars would seem to be classified as spot lights which are permitted with no height requirements and seem ok as long as they are aimed as stated below. I will only be lighting these off-road so I imagine I can mount them aiming forward. Doesn't seem like I need to cover them on road.

266:37 Spot Lamps and Auxiliary Lamps. –
    I. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed 2 spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror, or occupant of another vehicle in use

-I am not sure how the side-facing rack lights are treated...I think they could be considered spot lights which the vehicle may have only 2 of- if so this would put me over the limit. They couldn't pass as 'auxiliary lights' because they exeed the max height requirement. Theoretically they could be treated as additional back-up lighting which is partly the purpose. These lights (BD S2 and S1) are tiny and hardly noticable. I could cover them and would all but dissapear.

-The back-up lights seem permittable:

266:41 Back-up Lamps. – Any motor vehicle may be equipped with back-up lamps either separately or in combination with other lamps. Such back-up lamps shall not be lighted when the motor vehicle is in forward motion.

I probably won't have issues being pulled over for having these lights mounted in my area. Mostly trying to gauge whether need to remove any of them for annual inspections, and/or for road trips out of my area.

To Top