1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Needing a new roof. Should I go solar?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SnrDisregardo, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Jul 24, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    SnrDisregardo

SnrDisregardo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax 4x4
    TRD Sport Suspension, TRD Front & Rear Sway bar, TRD Pro Shift knob, Charcoal Filter Delete, aFe Pro Dry S w/SABM, LineX bed, Remote Start, OEM tonneau cover, DIY pop'n lock, DIY TRD cold air intake, TRD skid plate, DD SS3 amber fogs, HotShot Offroad Hot Tails, 2020 OE radio with tech12v amp and sub.
    I'm in need a new roof sooner than later. I'm weighing my options between a standard asphalt shingle, steel roof, and now either adding solar panels or looking into the Tesla roof. I have done my assessment thru my power company and, by my guess, going with solar, my ROI is about 9 years and solar will cover all of my electric needs. I love the idea of the Tesla roof because that is the complete package, shingle and solar panel all in one, but it looks to be the most expensive option even after the rebates.

Question would be, do any of you guys have experience with installing solar on your home? With it being a somewhat emerging technology, should I stay away?

2. Jul 24, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    I have solar city. I believe my panels are like 110% of average annual usage so I get a small kickback every month. However, I do no keep the power I make; it goes into the grid, hence the kickback when production is > then my usage. It is not allowed in CO to have batteries to store your energy from solar. You have to do this outside of what is allowed ;)

So the reason I ended up with solar is because it keeps my expense fixed month to month and will not fluctuate based on the price of oil, coal, etc. Can affect my kickback amount, but not the monthly payment.

3. Jul 24, 2019 at 11:11 AM
    Inquiringone

Inquiringone -Blue N Blac- an a little chrome

Member:
    First Name:
    Ter
    NorCal 408
    Vehicle:
    U can take the guy out of the garage, But U can’t take the garage out of the guy
    Not many yet, mostly stock.
    In cali most are asphalt , makes it easier to do solar. Most of my neighbors are going that direction, good luck Sir.

Products Discussed in

To Top