1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need to drain the fuel tank 2012 5.7 Tundra

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by c32077, May 29, 2023.

1. May 29, 2023 at 8:31 PM
    c32077

c32077 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CHuck
    Vehicle:
    2012 5.7 Tundra
    Hello, All. I'm new here. I've searched online and in this forum for too long and found no answer, so I'm just going to ask my own questions here. I apologize if it's been asked already. If it has, please just direct me to where I can find it.

Anyway:
    I need to drain my fuel tank on a 2012 5.7 Gas Tundra. The truck is currently sitting on 4 flat tires on an inclined driveway. I have no way to raise it to pull the tank or get under it. I need to remove the old gas in the tank. There has to be a connection somewhere in the fuel line that I can disconnect and siphon from or some way to run the fuel pump without the truck running to pump the fuel out.

Where is the easiest/best place to disconnect the fuel line to siphon or drain the tank?

Can I run the fuel pump without the truck running? If so, how?

Any help is appreciated (even if you can direct me to a thread where this has already been asked).

Thank you.

2. May 29, 2023 at 9:32 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/07-14-38-gallon-tank-swap-install-thread.27144/

You can do this without jacking up the truck, as long as you're willing to crawl under and have a Jack to support it. These trucks have a safety valve at the top of the tank designed to close on rollover, and there's not a lot of ways to bypass. Hang on, I've got one other link to post, to let you know about one hero that opened that valve without removing the tank. That said, you'll likely need to remove the entire tank, open that valve, invert the tank to pour the old gas out.

3. May 29, 2023 at 9:36 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
  4. May 29, 2023 at 11:08 PM
    c32077

c32077 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CHuck
    Vehicle:
    2012 5.7 Tundra
    Thanks, Sunnier.

Not exactly the news I was hoping for, but not entirely unexpected either.

Sunnier likes this.
  5. May 30, 2023 at 2:47 AM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    I don't have any pointers for you here but am curious of how your 2012 truck ended up with 4 flat tires and I assume old gas from sitting.

6. May 30, 2023 at 6:49 AM
    c32077

c32077 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CHuck
    Vehicle:
    2012 5.7 Tundra
    NickB, yes it did sit for a long time. In 2014-2015 I lived in Boston. That winter was insane (basically 3-4 feet of snow on the ground for the entire winter). Unknown to me, a family of Boston mice made their home in the fusebox under the hood. I moved back to PA at the end of that winter and my dash started acting strangely. I discovered that the mice chewed up my wiring harness pretty badly. Because of this I didn't drive it a lot and it sat in my driveway. The tires were old at this point and I guess they became dry rotted and wouldn't hold air for long, so I drove it even less. Then the battery died and that was it. It sat for almost 4 years. It was way cheaper to ride my motorcycle at that time, so I've been using my motorcycle as my primary vehicle until I could afford to start fixing the Tundra. I know everyone will probably shit on me for letting it sit, but whatever. That's my business and nobody else's. I'm doing what I can now to fix it. I've repaired what I can see of the wiring harness. The battery is new. I will have new tires soon, but I will have to do them on my own individually. Once the tires are on, I can get back under the truck and it will at least roll again. If I can afford to, I may have it towed somewhere to get it on a lift to check/repair everything else. I consider myself fortunate to still have the truck. I've sold just about everything else. Times were better when I bought the truck. I'm just working with what I've got right now and hoping I can find info online to help me.

Tundrastruck91 likes this.
  7. May 30, 2023 at 8:25 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I read this as, you're clawing your way back up after a low period. Good for you, and good luck getting your truck back into good shape. It's a Tundra. It will probably serve you well for many years once you get it going again.

Tundrastruck91 and NickB_01TRD like this.
  8. May 30, 2023 at 7:35 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    Ah no judgement from me. Just curious. Happy to see it getting back into service.

How much gas do you think is still in it? It's possible maybe to just fill with more fresh gas and run it as is. Have you tried to start it as is yet?

Tundrastruck91 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top