1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need some honest suspension advice

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by gdiep, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Jan 7, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    gdiep

gdiep [OP] I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    I have a 2014 VW Sportwagen TDI with about 44k miles.

I recently noticed some clunking noise and found that my driver’s side front spring had sheared. I have the broken section.

Puzzled as to how this can happen, but looks like I need new struts & springs in the front. got quotes ranging from $1600 to $990.

Now I know I can but a “loaded” strut for $300 (both fronts) and will still need an alignment afterwards (say total cost is about $400).

is it worth trying to do this myself or let some professional do it for $990?

thanks

by the way, don’t be afraid to hurt my feelings and tell me i’m better off letting someone else do this.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. Jan 7, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    Do it yourself. I just installed springs in a 2019 mkii gti Saturday. 2.5 hours for the front and 30 minutes fir ther rear.

I am not sure how the sportwagen front suspension is set up, but it should be the same.

3. Jan 7, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    You can get the Monroe entire assemblies at rockauto for $110 a piece. I've never done one but I bet you will need a very good impact gun to break the axle nuts on them. If you have a high power 1/2 impact or 3/4 impact. Go for it.

4. Jan 7, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    You do not need to break the axle nut. Just a long extension to unbolt fron the transmission side. We used 2x4 and jack to push up and compress the spring to get the strut to slide out. Having a helper is a must.

sundance[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 7, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    gdiep

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    I’m not sure I fully understand what you just said, and don’t really have a friend that has mechanical skills to help me, lol.

6. Jan 7, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    This is an easy job, other than the fact that it’s a German car and I have zero experience with those or if any special tools are necessary because of that. You should find a YouTube video of a similar/same car having the same work done to it and watch it...that’ll give you an idea if it’s doable. For the most part you’re gonna need a socket set, a breaker bar and floor jack with jack stands. Whenever I’ve had to replace shocks (or add a spacer lift), I’ve always been able get the vehicle on jack stands and use the floor jack on the opposite side of the axle than what I’m working on to raise said axle, which lowers the axle dramatically on the other side, allowing for shocks to just fall out once unbolted.

you can also buy the parts and have some basic mobile mechanic from Craigslist come perform the work in your garage. Paying anywhere near a grand for this is insane.

7. Jan 7, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    SouthWestGA

SouthWestGA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMAX and 2014 Nissan NV3500 Passenger
    Please oh please don’t get Monroe unless you absolutely cannot afford anything else

KYB Bilstein OEM anything but Monroe

they crap out soon and just don’t last all that long

8. Jan 7, 2020 at 2:22 PM
    gdiep

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    So I spoke to a 4 shops. Prices ranged from $800 to $1600. The high price was from a local VW indie.

All told me that they cannot get a “loaded strut” for that car, but they have to buy the strut, spring and mount separately. I called a VW dealer and they told me same. Apparently, the TDI Sportwagen used a different strut assembly than other golf/Jetta variants that year, so the common strut assemblies will not fit. Checked ECSTuning and all the loaded strut assemblies that fit my car are on backorder.

The lowest price ($800) is for $330 parts, $100 alignment, and $370 labor for fronts. I’m thinking for $370 someone else can do this. What do you all think?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  9. Jan 7, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    This is what I found online. This is one way to do it, but was not how I did it.

After securing the car on jacks stands, and removing the tire;

1.) Remove upper sway bar link with 18mm socket using an impact wrench.
    2.) Remove the strut clamp nut and bolt 18mm socket using impact wrench for the nut and a torx socket for the bolt. I forgot the size of the torx. Use a 1/4 socket adapter to wedge the clamp open.
    3.) I skipped the removing the axle and lower control arm. I used a 2x4 2ft length and a floor jack to push the bottom of the spring perch up and shaking the strut brake disk to slowly free the strut loose from the clamp. You may need to spray some penetrating lube to the clamp.
    4.) Once it's free, you can remove the 3 13mm bolts that hold the strut up top.
    5.) Using a 22 mm socket and impact, you can remove and transfer the top hat to the new struts and springs. (The top hat is directional)
    6.) Compress the spring assemble it with the struts. Viola! DONE!

Now put it back together in reverse order.

I'm a Toyota guy and Saturday was the first time I removed and reinstalled a VW strut. But there's always a first for everything. Thanks to YouTube!

https://youtu.be/rUFHz9TKTpQ

10. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    gdiep

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    @SprinterAE86 thanks! I watched that video. My concern is that I cannot find a "loaded" strut assembly that I can get quickly. It will be almost 2 weeks to get one to my house. I can buy individual components and have them within 24 hours and assemble them myself, which means I need to rent or borrow spring compressors. I also don't have some of the tools used in this video, which I suppose I can buy. But I live in the northeast so I'm pretty sure that my disassembly will not be anywhere near as easy as in the video. Realistically, If I try to do this myself, I can save just under $400. If this were summer time and I weren't so busy at work, I might tackle this job. But this is our busy season and I'm not sure trying to save this money is worth it right now.

Products Discussed in

To Top