1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need recommendation for Civil Attorney in CA

Discussion in 'California' started by Lightning_Lad, May 27, 2021.

1. May 27, 2021 at 12:09 PM
    Lightning_Lad

Lightning_Lad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Orange CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky Platinum Pro
    Line x Bed liner Trifold Tonneau cover TRD PRO Dual exhaust TRD PRO sway bar TRD PRO air intake TRD PRO suspension TRD PRO LED 2019 Headlight conversion TRD 2020 Wireless charging tray TRD shift knob TRD PRO Grille TRD red anodized dust caps (+25 hp per wheel) Matt black mirror caps and door handles Tesla style Headunit KTJO 4x4 tail gate pop n lock upgrade Driver side grab handle Viper Remote start Viper alarm system 18” Method NV’s 33.5” Toyo R/T ESP Long box underseat storage 3M ceramic tint
    Hullo!

Long, long backstory. Basically my neighbors behind me are Chapman U students, practice a LIVE band, party all hours, smoke a shit ton of weed.

I’ve called cops 20+ times since September last year. I work long hours but I shouldn’t have to hear Gen Z rocking out Noon until midnight. The mother of one of the tenants is co owner of a mid sized law firm in Illinois...she’s now suing me.

I need someone on my side ASAP please.

Thanks in advance...

2. May 27, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Sure your want your phone number on the internet?

nlaroy, des2mtn and ColoradoTJ like this.
  3. May 27, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    Dr Doobie

Dr Doobie Growing member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Talkeetna,Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '07 RCSB 5.7 SC'd 4x4 SSM
    That sucks about the noise I couldn't deal with that shit either.
    But my question is, how does them smoking a shit load of weed bother you?
    And if the cops couldn't do anything the first 19 times why try again.
    Put on your big boy pants and go over there and tell them to shut the fuck up!

4. May 27, 2021 at 12:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Removed.

5. May 27, 2021 at 12:24 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Yeah, that will help him not be sued...

6. May 27, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    Dr Doobie

Dr Doobie Growing member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Talkeetna,Alaska
    Vehicle:
    But why is op being sued? Harassment from calling cops?

Darkness and Lifer like this.
  7. May 27, 2021 at 12:37 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
  8. May 27, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    @Lightning_Lad ... You did not say why you are being sued, but the best meaningful advice I can give you is to turn this into your homeowners insurance first. There is a chance that this may be covered under your homeowners liability (again not knowing why you are being sued). Your homeowners' policy may provide defense and they will have a law firm to represent you.

Lifer, Cpl_Punishment and ColoradoTJ like this.
  9. May 27, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    The research begins.

I’m sure you have all documented calls to police for noise ordinance violations (if not, get copies ASAP).

Let me guess, his mommy is suing for harassment? Of course she doesn’t have
    listen to it either.

1) Figure out what kind of lawyer you need (sounds like you have).
    2) Get a list of the top three or so. Find out their experiences for your specific needs.
    Little Johnny’s Mommy doesn’t have to do much for trying to scare you or move forward with attempting to sue you for harassment. Once you lawyer up, then she knows you mean business.
    3) Be very honest with the law firm. There’s two sides to every story. Make sure you are not in the wrong.
    4) Hopefully you have been getting evidence against these neighbors....like video evidence with a date/time stamp.

I had a few neighbors that where horrible with noise. Outsmart them.

1) one neighbor was running a generator at night since they didn’t pay their utility bill. Of course it was a cheap, loud as hell POS generator. I called the cops a few times. They really didn’t want to do anything over something like this.

So I went a different route. City ordinance states you can’t occupy a residence without running water. All their utilities were shut off. I had proof they were stealing utilities, and had proof they had no running water. I called code enforcement and dropped a little “kids living in the residence” and they were out in less than month.

2) This was a dog that was being left outside all night and barking. Video evidence and turned into the humane society. She got a warning, then fines, then dog was removed from home. This one took a little longer.
    Same lady went and got another dog. It disappeared and from what I could imagine went to a loving/deserving family that cared for it. That’s all hearsay though. Guess she grew tired of buying expensive dogs (pug and boxer) and didn’t get anymore.

10. May 27, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Did you get served a lawsuit? What is it you are being sued for?

11. May 27, 2021 at 1:04 PM
    rockmup

rockmup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's
    This^ Are you being sued or was it a cease and desist letter ?
    What kind of lawyer is she ? Makes a difference.

12. May 27, 2021 at 1:15 PM
    Lightning_Lad

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Orange CA
    Vehicle:
    Line x Bed liner Trifold Tonneau cover TRD PRO Dual exhaust TRD PRO sway bar TRD PRO air intake TRD PRO suspension TRD PRO LED 2019 Headlight conversion TRD 2020 Wireless charging tray TRD shift knob TRD PRO Grille TRD red anodized dust caps (+25 hp per wheel) Matt black mirror caps and door handles Tesla style Headunit KTJO 4x4 tail gate pop n lock upgrade Driver side grab handle Viper Remote start Viper alarm system 18” Method NV’s 33.5” Toyo R/T ESP Long box underseat storage 3M ceramic tint
    As far as I can tell it’s for the numerous call outs for disturbance and noise.
    And before anyone else chimes in with violence, it’s sorely tempting but not worth going to prison for. Also, they’re just kids 20-22yrs old, away from home. They’re gonna be wee party animals for a bit.

edited, they have not successfully served me yet. I’m a mobile refrigeration/service mechanic. I’m working all over SoCal most days.

13. May 27, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    Dr Doobie

Dr Doobie Growing member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Talkeetna,Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Completely understand, violence never fixes anything. I was just being a smart ass.
    Maybe go smoke a joint or have a beer with them and explain your situation and maybe come to a happy ending?
    :rasta::cheers:

grave, hitech, Darkness and 1 other person like this.
  14. May 27, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    Lifer

Lifer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2000 Ltd 4x4 2008 SR5 4x4 LB 2021 SR 4x4 LB
    Fab tech on the 2000
    Sounds to me like there are no grounds for a suit to worry about if your telling it like it is.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  15. May 27, 2021 at 1:36 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    The most effective way to deal with this in California, under civil law, is to get all of your neighbors organized, assuming that everyone is adversely affected by this nuisance property. Every household needs to keep a journal of the date, the time of each disturbance, what happened, and how it made each resident “feel”. This is how you document disturbing behavior and that it has an effect on others (necessary for civil restitution).

Ultimately, as a group or assisted by a civil attorney*, you will sue (or counter-sue, in your case) the property owners in small claims court. Those journals you’d be your neighbors will keep are admissible. So are any documents you can get from responding police agencies about their responses and observations. And any notes and proof of nuisance you’ve already collected.

Small claims court caps individuals’ claims at $5000 each case, but multiply this by the number of individual adult residents in all the homes adversely effected by this nuisance property, and the homeowner faces so much liability, they’ll typically comply with a judges order (usually evicting the problem tenants); if they do not comply, the property owner must pay... even at California property “values”, a $100,000 judgement can cause a property owner to lose their investment... once this is understood, the situation is usually resolved.

Safe Streets, if still active as an entity, may be a resource to help you mobilize and/or point you to civil attorneys that have experienced with this type of circumstance. Here’s a posting from San Diego to get you started:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...tion-corner-safe-streets-2013jun07-story.html

GODZILLA, Black Wolf, Lifer and 2 others like this.
  16. May 27, 2021 at 1:40 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    When you get served, immediately notify your homeowners insurance. Hopefully, the parent filing suit is not insurance savvy.

If I wanted to sue my neighbor and get something out of it, I would make allegations in a way that would trigger defense and indemnity coverage from their homeowners insurance. That way, I know someone has the means to write a settlement check.

If I wanted to sue my neighbor to cause them discomfort, I would alter my allegations to avoid triggering defense and indemnity coverage from their homeowners insurance. That way, I force the neighbors to have to hire a lawyer out of pocket and cause them some pain.

A good lawyer that understands insurance will understand how to do either. It depends on what is the intended goal.

GODZILLA, ColoradoTJ and Sunnier like this.
  17. May 27, 2021 at 1:53 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    did you get the "quit calling the cops, my moms a lawyer...." routine?

reminds me of that scene from Uncle Buck
    http://www.tzr.io/yarn-clip/adf91f93-8249-4ffa-9d9c-e1068b0c8834

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    grave likes this.
  18. May 27, 2021 at 2:09 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
  19. May 27, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Just curious, why should he do this? I want to learn.

edit-read your post a bit closer. So you're saying homeowners insurance will help cover certain lawsuits involving neighbors?

20. May 27, 2021 at 2:29 PM
    Kelvin

Kelvin New Member

Member:
    Just curious...did you ever go over there and just ask them nicely to keep the noise down or did you just go straight to calling the cops? If the latter then I could see why they would deliberately try and piss you off seeing as how they’re still young.

grave and Darkness like this.
  21. May 27, 2021 at 2:53 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Homeowners liability insurance covers property damage or injury of others due to your negligence. Injury is not limited to bodily injury and can include some forms of harassment, libel, or slander. Language in each policy varies by company and by state regulations. Coverage is usually negated if you intentionally cause harm to others.

22. May 27, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Yes, if the respondent knows the allegations in the lawsuit are false... or if a judgement against the respondent would include liability for which an insurer would pay. As I understand it, insurers would rather weigh in early... with the opportunity to help mount a defense, than have to pay out after a homeowner’s inadequate defense attorney loses the case.

23. May 27, 2021 at 4:09 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Actually, if you don’t notify the insurance company and try to go it with your own attorney, you give the insurance company a rock solid reason to deny coverage altogether. It’s referred to as “late notice with prejudice”.

grave, Black Wolf and Sunnier[QUOTED] like this.
  24. May 27, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    KingsAustin

KingsAustin Grey Goose II

Member:
    Morgan County, AL
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited Night Shade
    BakFlip MX4, Gator All Weather mats, Console Safe, Ceramic Tint, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Interior/exterior LED conversion, Wireless console charger, AJT designs.
    Agree with a previous post. Keep journals, times, dates and activities. I would also use your video options to document the time and activities occurring. Check with the neighbors and see if they have similar issues. Check with your local code enforcement and see if they have any muni codes to help you with your case. The cops will have all calls logged along with who they spoke to about whatever issue they responded to......I hope!

Don't be surprised if they come out with "he threaten me" or some BS like that in their alleged suit.

Try the local Bar association and ask for a referral. Good luck!

25. May 28, 2021 at 10:30 AM
    Lightning_Lad

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Orange CA
    Vehicle:
    Well, it’s getting spicy.
    I tried several times back in October 2020 to keep the noise down, move their band to the garage. We had an agreement they promptly ignored and kept doing their thing. I’ve called the police and had no other interaction with them since
    Two men came to the front door yesterday, with no id or business cards.
    I was at work until 9pm so they’re gonna have a challenge to serve me papers...

26. Jun 7, 2021 at 3:21 PM
    glowblue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Any updates? Did they find you yet?

dittothat likes this.
  27. Jul 27, 2022 at 6:08 PM
    bayetargeted

bayetargeted New Member

Member:
    Well, you need an attorney or even a good lawyer in this case. Attorneys are not always capable of helping with such cases as this one, and it might be a better idea to go to a lawyer agency.
    The best one that I know is https://ucmjdefense.com/air-force-military-defense-lawyers-court-martial-attorneys.html because I work with it most of the time. These guys know what they are doing, and I am sure that they will be able to help you too. You need to be honest with them, and they will come up with a decision for your case. It is not always easy to accept what your lawyer tells you, but you must be patient and give it time.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  28. Jul 27, 2022 at 6:17 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    5/21 last post by OP what happened?????

29. Jul 27, 2022 at 6:23 PM
    glowblue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Holy resurrection of a dead post, Batman! Make that last post from over a year ago.

30. Aug 1, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    Lightning_Lad

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Orange CA
    Vehicle:
    Hullo
    Thanks to the Tundra forums I did get hold of a decent lawyer back in January 2022 and it’s been a rollercoaster. The good news is our new lawyer is very diligent and believes in documentation and "over" preparing for court action. We documented EVERYTHING. Finally got hold of the landlord who stuck her head in the sand previously. Now each instance is documented per legal format and shows trail of evidence & acknowledgement via recorded communication through her lawyer. Biggest turning point was getting multiple neighbors to write letters and get on board as witnesses. I will also add, the police are not interested in these situations, nor is the education institution responsible for these idiots being here in town.
    So things have been quiet and peaceful since May. We'll see what happens once college is back in session.

Bakershack and e30cabrio like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top