1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help identifying a strange vibration

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Thenuwguy, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Jan 3, 2019 at 4:58 AM
    Thenuwguy

Thenuwguy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    I have a 2018 platinum and I have a strange vibration coming near the bed. Its most noticeable when I pull in to the garage and close the door. I've gotten under the truck as I initially thought it was a catalytic converter or something loose on my exhaust but it appears to be coming from somewhere on the bed. Has anyone had anything similar to this?

2. Jan 3, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Spare tire loose?

3. Jan 3, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    no idea, but - The 2nd gen Tacoma bed/bed bolts come loose. Everything will look normal until you actually try to lift the bed & discover 1 corner actually moves. Haven't heard of this with Tundra but just for s&g, try lifting each corner of the bed.

Thenuwguy[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 3, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    Thenuwguy

Thenuwguy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    It's not the spare. I'll check out the bed after work. It doesn't always do it either so it's really confusing.

5. Jan 7, 2019 at 2:01 AM
    KFed

KFed New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax TRD Sport
    Tinted windows, Black badge overlays, ProZ hard bed cover, 32" grille light, 30" lower bumper light,...
    My rigs at the dealership now for suspension type noise. Sounds similar to a bad shock or bushing.... dealer says possibly a bad body mount up front passenger side. Keep u updated as it's been 2 days and I haven't heard back from them as of yet...

6. Jan 8, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    KFed

KFed New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Tinted windows, Black badge overlays, ProZ hard bed cover, 32" grille light, 30" lower bumper light,...
    Well, to update all with the "hmmmmmm what's that noise?"..... how about a bad passenger front upper body bushing!!! They actually replaced both driver and passenger sides under warranty while it was apart. Just picked up truck from dealer. No noises as of now... what are the chances? Hoping mine wasn't a Friday afternoon payday build!!!!
    And they did the 15k service....rotated tires....lol
    *****update as I drove the truck today.... the squeaking of a radiator support that they lubed and tightened... now is annoyingly worse!!!! Only way around the noise is cranking the radio till it goes away. Sounds like a hamster on a rusty wheel!. Not what I expected from toyota and an 8 month old truck!!!! So not happy!!!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    NUDRAT likes this.
  7. Jan 13, 2019 at 7:38 PM
    KFed

KFed New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Heard back from the dealer Friday afternoon.. So, its seems their initial "guess" into the noise and the replacement of both front body mounts was how shall I say A WRONG DIAGNOSIS!!!! it happened to be what I first mentioned to them, a bad coil over shock mount!. So now they are waiting to get another approval from Toyota to do this repair after they misdiagnosed the problem and warrantied something that wasn't broken, damaged, or anything else. And the don't stock a full shock and coil assembly. So it has to be ordered.. should have truck ready Tuesday or Wednesday . A week to do a warranty repair? This is now the second week for a simple repair . Do I call customer service???

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  8. Jan 15, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    KFed

KFed New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    So was able to pick up the tundra tonight. Surprisingly enough they replaced the complete coil over assembly and no noise!! They also were douche enough to state that the LED bar behindthe lower grille was hitting the radiator support causing the squeaking and banging... REALLY!!?? Not even close!!! And why then would they have replaced the coil over shock? I HATE DEALERSHIPS !!!! :argue:Always looking to pass the buck.. ohhh and did I mention the light install was done after the noises started...
    But, so far so good...:fingerscrossed:

Products Discussed in

To Top