1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on venting a closet

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Netmonkey, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Aug 28, 2020 at 2:02 PM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey [OP] Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    Hey guys,

So, I have this small walk-in closet off of my office. During the summers (and with the closet door closed), it gets very hot and very humid in the closet. The builder really should have ran AC ducts to all of the walk-in closets in the house (only the master closet is vented). Well, a few weeks ago, I opened the closet door only to find mold growing all over the walls. So, we pulled everything out, did the mold treatments, scrubbed the walls, repainted, threw out all the cardboard, and put everything back into plastic bins. Then I bought a dehumidifier and ran it in the closet. It pulls moisture out of the air well enough, but it throws off so much heat that it defeats the purpose. So, I have been leaving the door open so that it stays cool and dry.

I also bought a thermometer/hydrometer that can send alerts to my phone. It is 105 degrees outside and, in 30 minutes with the door closed, the closet got up to 80 degrees and 70% humidity.
    [​IMG]

So, I was thinking about 2 different options to add venting the closet.

One, is to add a pass-through vent from the room to the closet:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other option is to tap into existing AC ducting and run it to the closet. The closet has access to the attic space above the master bedroom:
    [​IMG]

There are 3 ducts passing through the crawl space
    [​IMG]

To the left and above the door, the 3 ducts go into the wall heading to the AC units:
    [​IMG]

Above the door, there is a space large enough to accommodate duct work:
    [​IMG]

A duct could exit above the access door near the ceiling:
    [​IMG]

So, what do you think? Would a pass through vent be good enough to vent out the closet? or would proper venting require an actual vent from the AC? Is it even possible to tap into an existing duct from the crawl space? I would leave the duct work to the professionals, but I think I could handle making a pass through vent given the proper instructions. What is the best way to create a pass through vent? and what would the cost be for tapping into the existing duct work?

Thanks for any advice :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  2. Aug 28, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    CDinSeFl

CDinSeFl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    It seems to me that you need to cool and/or exchange the air in that closet.

The cheapest, and probably easiest. way is to buy two relatively large decorative vents/grills. Cut the drywall in the closet and the room that is a/c'd and adjacent to it, and install the decorative vents/grills. If you want to get fancy, frame it out with a 2x4 so it is not letting air into the wall cavity. The larger you make the opening, the better the chance this solution has of working.

If this doesn't work, you have to bring a vent line into the closet, at the very least. Cost is $200-500 depending upon contractor and region of the country.

Where are you? I am in Delray Beach, FL, and it's hot, but not that hot!

Netmonkey[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 28, 2020 at 2:56 PM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey [OP] Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    Thanks.
    I am in Texas near Austin. It is hot here too :)

4. Aug 28, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    Jpneely

Jpneely New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 5.7
    Our pantry has this problem too. sub'd to see if a good solution appears. never thought about just adding vents above the door to allow air transfer.

5. Aug 28, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Why not both? The ac would push new air in and the pass through vent would help circulate old air out.

Netmonkey[OP] and CDinSeFl like this.
  6. Aug 28, 2020 at 3:52 PM
    Tundra14Platinum

Tundra14Platinum I love reading the CoC in my spare time

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum CM Sky Silver
    TRD PRO Grill/Headlights, Swaybar, Eibach
    I would definitely frame it out if you put a vent above the door, and or maybe a door vent.
    whites-tamarack-registers-grilles-rap-31_1000.jpg

7. Aug 28, 2020 at 4:01 PM
    2manytoys

2manytoys New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lupe
    Carlsbad, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2017 black tundra crewmax
    Fab fours premium bumpers frt & rr, retracing bed cover, 5% window tint cept frt which is 60%, has lift from dealer maybe 3 inch
    How about some louvered doors?

download.jpg

8. Aug 28, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    2manytoys

2manytoys New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lupe
    Carlsbad, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2017 black tundra crewmax
    Fab fours premium bumpers frt & rr, retracing bed cover, 5% window tint cept frt which is 60%, has lift from dealer maybe 3 inch
    Maybe full louvered cool air in the bottom warm out the top. Natural circulation.

download (1).jpg

9. Aug 28, 2020 at 5:11 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    @1UPPER

1UPPER likes this.
  10. Aug 28, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Our utility closet has two pass thrus. One high in the back wall and one low in the door. The spaces on each side are conditioned. We keep dry dog food and wood pellets for the smoker in there with no issues. I would try natural ventilation first, maybe $50 in parts and your labor before I would go full on HVAC modifications. YMMV

11. Aug 28, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I would consider installing a glass transom that can tilt open. I would make it the same width as the pantry door. Personally I think this would look good while helping solve the transfer of air flow. Unfortunately HVAC companies often do the minimal amount of work to cut cost. You should be able to run a new duct to this area and install a ceiling mounted register.

82B3EF73-57CD-482A-A9E5-87671BFABB86.jpg 96697403-721B-4F11-814F-91AB9494746A.jpg

GODZILLA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top