1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need advice on renting a travel trailer

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Netmonkey, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Jul 2, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey [OP] Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    Hey guys,

My wife and I were thinking about renting a travel trailer to get away for a week or so, but I am a total noob when it comes to travel trailers and I could use some advice.

I definitely want to keep the total trailer weight under 7500 lbs so I was thinking something around a 20-26 foot trailer (does that sound reasonable?). I have towed trailers plenty of times before (boats, cars, uhauls, etc. (all under 6000 lbs total weight)), but on none of those did I use a weight distribution hitch and/or an anti-sway hitch. At what point with a travel trailer would you expect to use a WDH and/or an ASH? If I do need to use a WDH/ASH, would I expect the rental company to prove those? Also, my truck has a 3.5"/2.0" lift with 34" tires. Would I need to get a drop hitch to tow a travel trailer or would that be part of a WDH/ASH?

Since I have zero experience with a travel trailer, would I expect the rental company to go over the usage of it? For example, leveling, hookups, electrical, gas, etc. I am sure that it is easy stuff, but I want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I get out to the camp site. Would searching youtube be sufficient to gain this knowledge?

What about insurance on the trailer? Would I expect the rental company to insure it during my possession or is that on my insurance? If it is on my insurance would I need to get any extra coverage for the trailer?

Lastly, is there anything else that I need to know about a travel trailer or ask the rental company?

I found these 2 trailers from a local rental company:
    http://www.americanadventurervrentals.com/rv-rental/5994/
    http://www.americanadventurervrentals.com/rv-rental/111200/

Do they seem reasonable for 2 people and a dog to get away for a week?

Thanks for your help,

2. Jul 2, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    I would expect the rental to include WDH and everything you need, including insurance. They should help(and teach) you proper set up. One thing to consider- know your trucks payload. You will run out of payload before you ever hit the max tow-able weight. 7500 trailer could have a tongue weight of 750 or more. Add the WDH, cargo and passengers and you could be over payload limit before ever hitting the road.

3. Jul 2, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    The first one linked wouldn't require a WDH.
    The 2nd one would. The rental co should provide it. WDH is adjustable and *should* accommodate your lift.
    Rental co should go over everything with you, but, YouTube has a ton of tutorials.
    Personally, unless I'm towing in high wind, I never use the anti-sway feature. On the model I have, you can mess it up if you corner too tight so I just leave it off most of the time.

Most of the insurance of a TT is on the tow vehicle (collision). Comprehensive covers damage to the trailer itself, like a tree falling thru the roof or something. You should be able to purchase that from the rental co, however, check with your insurance to see if it's cheaper.

4. Jul 2, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    Ericbike6

Ericbike6 So we're doing this shit today?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD 4X4 sport
    Air bags, ARK liners, misc bullshit added also
    Since we are basically neighbors, here's my few cents:

If you go with the r-pod, I don't think you will need a WDH. If you go with the larger one, then yes you will want it. My guess is, wen you rent it, it would come with the trailer.

When hooked to your truck, your insurance policy covers the trailer. When unhooked, other insurance needs to be on it, my guess is the rental company will be adding this to your bill, from past experiences.

If it were me, and I'm camping this time of year in TX, I would get as much interior space as you can pull, being outside during the day is not a lot of fun. So I would say no to the r-pod.

When the father-in-law rented a camper last fall, they went over the basics of set up and where everything was in the camper he rented. If not, most people who camp are super nice and helpful, and u-tube is also a good friend.

Hope this helps!!

5. Jul 2, 2020 at 9:57 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Talk to your auto insurance to make sure. In my state, my auto insurance does not cover a rented trailer. The place that rents them locally had daily policies available, however it was too expensive to justify renting a trailer.

Products Discussed in

To Top