1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a new truck!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hemihog, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    Hemihog

Hemihog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi, new member here, thank you for having me.
    I'll get right to the point.
    I currently own a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd with Duramax, it's been a great truck, powerful, reliable, never left me stranded yada yada yada. Just don't need that much truck anymore and it's getting long in the tooth with little nickle and dime stuff I'm having to do on a monthly basis. I'm currently replacing all the cab seals, door, rear window, body vent drip seal due to dry rot. So I'm contemplating my next truck. I keep hearing all the great things about the Tundra, so I'm really leaning toward it, but I'm wondering what are the common problems. What are the things you wished Toyota did differently and what should I expect with 10 or even 15 years of ownership with a trundra?

Thank you in advance.

Prostar 190, Pinay, T-Rex266 and 5 others like this.
  2. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:10 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Welcome from Texas

Hemihog[OP] and Hammerhead like this.
  3. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:10 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    Welcome.

Cam Tower leaks seem to be the biggest problem I hear about (my truck had one as well).

The payload on these trucks pretty much sucks.

My truck went through a set of ball joints pretty quickly (although that doesn't seem to be too common).

Even with those things, I think that they are the best 1/2 ton on the market.

Hemihog[OP], Pinay and Hammerhead like this.
  4. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    TokerJoker

TokerJoker ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Nowhere, Specific
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 4.6 Dbl Cab
    None.....yet
    Have not had any issues with our '14. I owned a T100 Many years ago and that truck was a work horse! T-Boned an old man when he ran a red light:(

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Hemihog[OP], Pinay and Black Wolf like this.
  5. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Welcome. The only consistent issue I’ve heard of is a leaking cam tower seal. I’ve not had the problem on my two Tundras, but some have.
    The interiors aren’t as modern as the other guys are, but that’s not an issue for me.
    Gas mileage is poor. Again, not an issue for me, but it is for most.
    Stock stereo systems aren’t good. That one was a problem for me, so I went aftermarket.

I was a lifelong Chevy guy myself, but switched to a Tundra in 2011. You say yours never left you stranded, but all of mine did on several occasions. I had a couple of Silverados and a couple of Tahoes over the years, and though I liked them, I definitely had issues.

Since then, I’ve only had to set foot in a mechanic shop on one occasion.

2012 Sequoia- going on 200k miles with zero mechanical failures. None.
    2011 Tundra- 115k miles so far. I did have to replace an alternator at around 100k, but I blame myself for that. I had a battery that needed replacing, and let it go too long. I don’t think it would’ve happened if I’d changed the battery. Other than that, zero failures.
    2017 Tundra- Not quite 30k miles, but no problems so far.

All in all, it’s the reliability that the other manufacturers can’t get close to. Plenty of guys here with a ton of miles on their trucks, with zero repair work. We get to spend our money on mods instead of starters, engines, transmissions, etc.

Search on the forum here. There aren’t many threads talking about breakdowns. Gives us more time to just shoot the shit with each other.

6. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    Stormtrooper81

Stormtrooper81 Slow and steady

Member:
    Lost coast
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC
    I have zero complaints about my tundra almost at 180k. If I was going to buy a new truck it would be a tundra. I've beaten mine like a mule. And have only done minor maintenance on her. Welcome to the forum

7. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    PotentPotables

PotentPotables "Where we're going we don't need roads."

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver CM Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    TRD Grill, TRD Shift knob, rear sway bar, 18' LED Headlights, heated Black leather w red stitching, 5100's.
    Welcome from Washington State!

I grew up in a GM family. I learned to drive on a Chevy Lumina van. My friends called it the Dust Buster.

In terms of Tundras, I've owned two both with the 5.7 and have had no issues. There is a known issue with some experiencing a cam tower gasket leak. Our family also owns a 2013 Toyota Sienna AWD with no issues. We previously had a 2000 Corolla. In the 180K miles we owned it, we only had to replace the brake pads, fluids, filters, and tires. We sold it with the original clutch even. The thing didn't even have any rattles.

Something I wish Toyota would change is their implementation of technology. Mostly, Toyota is a very conservative company. Yes, they mainstreamed the gas/electric hybrid but in general they are late adopters. Toyota doesn't typically completely change a vehicle between model years rather they introduce small "tweaks" each year. This makes the Tundra an aged truck as it's mechanically unchanged since 2007. While the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies, it would be nice to have a few "new" Tundra options. A more fuel efficient powerplant option, more modern transmission, and dear god is it too much to ask for auto-down windows all around?

Still, I would recommend the Tundra or a Toyota in general to anyone. That's why my in-laws are on their third Prius, my parents have a 2010 Rav4, my sister and brother own a Corolla and Matrix and one of my kid's teachers now owns a Sienna. Heck, the radiologist who read the x-ray when one of my kids broker her leg now owns a Sequoia.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Best of luck in your vehicle search. Know you're welcome here even if you end up keeping the Silverado or purchasing from another auto maker.

8. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from Colorado. 95K on the clock. My Tundra is almost 12 years old. No issues. Original starter, water pump, alternator, and even the hoses are still in great condition. No leaks anywhere. Can't go wrong with Toyota.

9. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Other then what’s been said, we lack in tech- but then again we have less issues all around

Welcome

10. Jan 9, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black - SR5 - CrewMax - 4x4 - TSS Dirty Seven Club
    Mahal kita Kuya
    :wave: Hiya and welcome from SoCalif!!!

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  11. Jan 9, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Welcome. Biggest problems with my Tundra are this forum and the friends I wheel with. Those 2 things have me spending tons of money and enjoying the $h1t out of this truck.;)

12. Jan 9, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    Fishman57

Fishman57 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Barcelona Red Crewmax
    BakFlip MX4 Tonneau, 12 Volt Solutions Remote Starter More minor mods coming
    Welcome from SE PA!

I was a longtime Chevy Silverado devotee. Swore I'd never own anything but a Chevy truck. My 2007 Silverado Classic 2WD that I bought new in '06 only had 124K miles on it but expensive things started breaking on it and it got too costly to fix. In Sept. 2018, I started shopping around. Didn't like the looks of the new Silverado, so I expanded my search. Get a Ram? You gotta be kidding. Nissan? Ha-ha-ha. Got a lot of great recommendations about the Tundra, so I checked it out. It only took a little research to determine a Tundra was probably the truck for me. Reliability reports were tops. Re-sale value is great (although I never plan to get rid of vehicles while they're worth anything.) I test drove a 2019 1794 CM and the decision was obvious, so I bought it. Absolutely no regrets. I love this truck! Comfy to ride. Tons-o-power.

Some notes:
    • It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that the others have, but I don't need most of that.
    • The MPG isn't good, but that's not an issue for me because I only put about 1K miles/month on it.
    • Tundras don't offer factory remote starters, so I added one for $350, which is cheaper than factory installed versions for other vehicles. It was plug-n-play and only took about an hour to install. Super simple.
    • Tundras don't offer factory power tailgate locks, so I'm adding one. Only costs a little over $100.
    • Head unit isn't great. Not a real big deal for me, but I'll end up replacing it because it would be nice to have Apple Play, Waze, etc.
    Another great thing about buying a Tundra is this forum. I've learned a ton of stuff about my Tundra here. And a lot of fun things go on here.

Good luck in your search for whatever truck you end up getting!!

13. Jan 9, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Welcome.

Looking used or brand new?

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  14. Jan 9, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    Metro14536

Metro14536 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green SR5 CM TRDOR 4x4
    Zero common issues
    Get the Tundra.....

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  15. Jan 9, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Welcome from Ohio!

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  16. Jan 9, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    yamabob

yamabob New Member

Member:
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I had an older Dodge that I really liked, but it was starting to rust. I thought about a new truck for years, even though I didn't "need" one. After 2 years of looking at Tundras, I finally broke down and bought a 2018 Limited. So glad I did it. Nothing like new technology too. I searched different forums before I decided, (Ford, Toyota, etc..) Read what the common problems are for each brand. The one common thing I found was that the Tundra people love their trucks and it's more about modding than repairing. My last 2 cars have been Honda and all I do is regular maintenance. I feel that the quality is better with the Japanese brands. I drove my friend's new F-150 and it was really nice, but I don't feel Ford will take care of their customers when the turbo goes boom. I purchased a proven platform with the biggest issue being gas mileage. That I can live with.

17. Jan 9, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Fishman57

Fishman57 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    I did not know that. That's a dumb-ass policy. That's one option that would be popular everywhere and I would think would be be standard on the higher level models.

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  18. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    I legitimately missed the “T” in “T-Boned” when I first read this...LMAO

19. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    I second this, payload is pretty weak. Other then that cam tower leaks, my truck had this as well. Overall I have been happy with my Tundra, it tows really well. Its very stable while towing, I had a 2014 Silverado before this truck and it was no where near as stable towing loads. The front end would bob up and down on that truck.

20. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    Fishman57

Fishman57 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

21. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    The payload capacity isn't what it should be, for sure; this was my only hesitation in buying a Tundra when I was doing my research. That having been said, the Tundra's payload and towing capacities are within spitting distance of other "Big 3" Crew Cab/Crew Max pickups. The extra <ahem> capability of those trucks (when they are functioning properly, that is) wasn't enough to sway me to a different manufacturer.

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  22. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    Welcome to the party!!

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  23. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    g6t9ed

g6t9ed Novice Tundra Modder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black CrewMax 1794 4x4
    Not much I could add but my own experience with trucks. I've had 3 Toyotas: '95 T100, '08 Tundra, and now a '17 Tundra. Between the '95 and '08 was an '06 F-150. That F-150 was my first new vehicle and was right after college. Under 10,000 miles, I already had to have the A/C compressor replaced and (even though it was cosmetic still shows the testament to their QC) I had to have the back Ford logo replaced due to some weird paint warping/coloring issue.

I digress, but the only issues I've found with the Tundras, albeit minor, was the bed bounce and the lower quality speakers. I expected it out of my '08 since it was just an SR5 model but with the '17 being the 1794, I expected more. Since you got me thinking about it going from my '08 to the '17, another thing I noticed changing from a Double Cab to the Crew Max was the bed size decreased about a foot due to the Crew Max and there is less storage in the '17. My '08 had bundles of hidden storage locations i.e. side door, double the ceiling compartments, a closed center section compartment (that is now open and not as deep in the '17), double glove boxes and more room underneath the rear seats. Even though, it seems like complaining, I would rather complain about little issues over major ones.

Hemihog[OP] and Fishman57 like this.
  24. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Ditto! :spending:

Welcome from NY.

Hemihog[OP] and 831Tun[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    You're no fun:D

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  26. Jan 9, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    Welcome. Also coming from a Silverado and I have no complaints. But, like other said, they people on this forum and their ideas will make you spend money on the truck. They just keep sucking you in and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Hemihog[OP] and Marty McFly like this.
  27. Jan 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Welcome from Colorado

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  28. Jan 9, 2019 at 2:27 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  29. Jan 9, 2019 at 4:55 PM
    Adriver71x

Adriver71x New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5
    Tow Mirrors
    Welcome from Northeast Connecticut

Hemihog[OP] likes this.
  30. Jan 9, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    Hemihog

Hemihog [OP] New Member

Member:
    New. I'm not a big fan of buying someone else's problem.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top