1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Narrowing in on a Trailer... advice on how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by JaxSmith, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Aug 7, 2018 at 4:29 PM
    JaxSmith

JaxSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Metallic Tundra SR5 CM 5.7L 4x4
    Hey all!

So, now that I have my Tundra and am getting the parts ready for it that I want before towing (rear sway bar, etc), it's time to finally start settling in on a Trailer.

The Trailer I currently have my eye on is this one: http://www.primetimerv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=254&Image=6827&ModelID=1662&TourID=1754#Main

GVWR: 7580lbs
    Length: 28 feet, 11 inches
    Tongue weight (10%-12%): 758 - 909lbs

Where: We'll be driving it mostly from NE Florida to North Alabama. That area is pretty hilly, and while it won't be flat out mountainous, it will likely involve some decent grade hills going up and down the interstate.

Tundra: 2018 SR5 Crewmax 4x4 w/36 gallon tank. 9800lb towing max, ~1500lb payload.

Expected Payload: Most of the stuff will go in the trailer, so just a full tank of gas, my tub of tools that I keep in the bed + the tonneau cover, and ~400lbs worth of people.

Thoughts: My payload is pretty tight. The tub of tools is probably about 60 pounds (lets say 100 for rounding) + 400 pounds of people + 55 pounds of tonneau cover (according to Amazon): That's 550lbs. Add on the max tongue weight of 12% and it would be close to 1459lbs in the truck, assuming I don't need to factor in the extra gas from the 36 gallon tank. I could always remove the cover and move the tub over to the trailer to free up ~120-150lbs.

The overall weight of the trailer is well within spec at 7580lbs, so I'm not as worried about that except for the hills. I've heard certain grades of hills can be miserable, so I am concerned that may be more than the Tundra will want to carry upward.

I plan on getting the Equal-i-zer WDH, which should help with the sway a bit as well, and adding a rear sway bar. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

So... whatcha think? Am I pushing the envelope a bit much with this thing, or do you think the Tundra is up to the challenge?

Note: I am NOT an experienced tower, so if the answer is "an experienced tower would be fine", I won't be fine :p

2. Aug 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
  3. Aug 7, 2018 at 4:36 PM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    People's Republic of California
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax - Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Leitner Designs ACS
    My two cents: you should be okay on the weight, but take it on some practice runs to get the brake controller dialed in so there are no surprises. You will go through some serious $$$ for gas -- these things are hogs. Get as much of the trailer weight over the axles as possible too. Overall, Tundras are great towing vehicles, but like anything, it takes some getting used to.

JaxSmith[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 7, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Leitner Designs ACS
  5. Aug 7, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    Tundraplatinum

Tundraplatinum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum CM
    this trailer is very similar to mine, my 2016 platinum cm tows it great i have the equalizer hitch rear sway bar. i have towed about 11,000 miles so far. my factory brake controller sucked so i swapped for tekonsha p3 with esp kit. your gas mileage will be terrible (like 8 mpg) but youll be good. ive towed thru mountains your truck will have to work a little but is does it very well. tows rock solid even when passing trucks. im happy with my tundra

6. Aug 7, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    JaxSmith

JaxSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    One interesting thing about the manual: if I'm reading the table on page 168 correctly, then by choosing to have the 38 gallon gas tank, I my GCWR is reduced from 16000 to 15410, and my Tow Rating drops from 9800lbs to 9100lbs.

That's a pretty serious detriment for some extra gas!

7. Aug 7, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Leitner Designs ACS
    Well, having just towed 2300 miles in the last two weeks, you get tired of stopping for gas all the time. My kids' bladders last longer than a 26 gallon tank does.

8. Aug 7, 2018 at 5:00 PM
    JaxSmith

JaxSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Where do you normally pull in for gas with a trailer this big? I've been wondering what I was going to do for that along the way. Your average gas station seems a little tight for something like that...

9. Aug 7, 2018 at 5:03 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    -Your GVWR of 7580 for the trailer is the max weight that you should ever have behind you. The unladen weight of that trailer is 4888, are you truly estimating that you will have almost 2700 lbs of cargo in the camper? I guess if you fill your fresh tank and have 2 full propane bottles you're already down to 2000 lbs of cargo remaining. Always better to stay on that safe side of the numbers regardless.
    -I like the Equilizer hitch system. I have it, it's simple, you can back up with it still hooked up, it really stops sway.
    -I think the weight is completely comfortable for what the Tundra can safely pull. I wouldn't worry about the grades at all. I'm at 6600lbs empty, probably between 7500-8000 on most trips. My truck never needed under 3rd gear to maintain cruising speed on my recent trip from NC to PA, quite a few longer grades on 17 and 66 in VA.

Take it slow, realize you have something behind you that will move your truck wherever it wants, give extra braking distance.

As far as gas stations, truck stops are your friend. The bigger chains like Speedway generally have bigger lots as well.

10. Aug 7, 2018 at 5:06 PM
    Blueline

Blueline New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeb
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO crewmax
    Bakflip MX4
    The tank of fuel is already factored into the vehicle curb weight and does not need to be subtracted from the payload. I presume you got your payload number from the b pillar sticker? The weight of your WDH needs to be subtracted from your payload; probably about 50-75 lb. All the advice listed above from other members is good, but know your tongue weight, and if you have a CAT scale nearby, go weigh the truck and trailer together to know how much weight is distributed to the front and rear axles of the truck. Don’t exceed the axle ratings. The hitch helps a lot with sway, and also puts weight to the front axle of the truck. This is important for proper handling. Become very familiar with how this rig acts on the road so when some jackass cuts you off, and your safe stopping distance is reduced, know what’s going to happen when you have to stop suddenly. I’ve towed for a long time (diesel F350) going to Mammoth Lakes and Lake Tahoe, and all I can say is: be patient on the road, check mirrors often, pull aside when you have traffic stacking up behind you, and take it easy on the decents. The human cargo is more important than getting to the campsite in a hurry. :)

11. Aug 7, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Leitner Designs ACS
    Not too bad. Most stations along the interstate that have diesel will have plenty of room. You might need to wait for some dude to finish his lottery number picking so he can move his Datsun out of your way at the pump, but that's not too often.

That said, I have made a mess out of a few gas stations when I got boxed in. A willing navigator can help you out of any tight spots if she's willing. My wife negotiated our way out of a particularly busy Chevron once. Towing is slow going so you can't ever be in that big of a hurry.

Which reminds me: always check your load when you stop. All connections plus a walkaround. It seems small, but it can save you a lot of trouble if you catch anything.

12. Aug 7, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Leitner Designs ACS
    We got in the habit of only filling the fresh tank the bare minimum to save on weight. Having less than a full tank of fresh water really made a noticeable difference in the handling I thought. Figure 8 lbs per gallon, right? No clue how big our fresh water tank is, but it made a difference. Then just add it to the "to-do" list when you reach your destination.

OBXTundra[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top