1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Name-brand Auxiliary Lights vs. Cheap Substitutes

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by evanhmn, Apr 11, 2023.

1. Apr 11, 2023 at 3:13 PM
    evanhmn

evanhmn [OP] mmm chicken pot pie

Member:
    State of Taxes
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD Off-Road AC 4x4 Limited in Black
    5100/2885s, 1.5" Add-Leaf, BFF Front Bumper, 265/70/17 KO2s
    Alright, I couldn't find anything from searching through the forum so I thought I would ask for some input on the matter of name-brand lights vs knockoffs/cheapos. I have been using some Amazon Nilight Light pods for around the past year as auxiliary lights. They have worked great when I needed them and haven't had any issues with fogging up or moisture getting inside until just recently.

I had an aftermarket bumper installed with 4 light pod locations which I filled up with Nilight light pods - 1 set of regular white, and 1 set of yellowish/amber. I also have a set of ditch lights from Nilight too. Additionally, I also have a set of some super serious cheap lights from a know-nothing company called BigLion that is on the back of my truck as reverse lights. So all-in-all I have 8 "extra" lights on my truck. Out of those 8, one of my reverse lights is just starting to fog up, and one of my front bumper lights too. Strangely enough, none of the other lights are even showing signs of wear apart from these two. Because of this, I would love to know if anyone has ever had cheap lights like Nilight or some other brand, then switched over to something pricier like Rigids or even Baja Designs, then noticed any drastic differences.

I like to call myself frugal rather than cheap, but choosing $32 lights over $200 lights seems like it makes a lot more sense when I am only going to be using them about 15% of the time I am driving. Anywho, give me some knowledge and you could be rewarded with a liked post :)

Baja Designs, chugs and Ohannon7 like this.
  2. Apr 11, 2023 at 3:30 PM
    jojo9878

jojo9878 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    2016 magnetic grey 1794
    Front: 2.5 king 2.5 coil overs Rear: 2.5 kings
    Following, I also been thinking about this instead of spending 2k on lights. I could use the extra $$$ for performance in suspension and HP

chugs, evanhmn[OP] and 2mchfun like this.
  3. Apr 11, 2023 at 3:44 PM
    VWTim

VWTim Mid-Travel Crew

Member:
    Corvallis, OR / Austin, TX
    I'm in the same boat, I historically would spend out for high end lights, Cibie, Hella, etc. But the current crop of LED's are just too rich for my blood and I'd be terrified of them getting stolen.

I do have a set of BD Squadron's in my winch bumper, they're great lights. When I went for a longer range "high" spot light, I settled on AuxBeam's. I haven't had them long enough to vouch for them, but I'm very happy with the output of the 7" lights I have mounted now.

evanhmn[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 11, 2023 at 3:50 PM
    jojo9878

jojo9878 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    2016 magnetic grey 1794
    Would you mind sharing a picture of your setup?

evanhmn[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 11, 2023 at 3:54 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Nothing wrong with more affordable lighting, especially where a rock chip might take out your light. I have used several sets and just replaced whatever leaked, still came out much $$$ ahead over the years. Usually the second one holds up and I end up with a replacement for rock damage. Ymmv!

6. Apr 11, 2023 at 3:56 PM
    jojo9878

jojo9878 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    2016 magnetic grey 1794
    Which lights do you have on your truck right now?

7. Apr 11, 2023 at 4:01 PM
    BiggHertz

BiggHertz DZTLIMO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    IG: dztlimo
    Stuff and Things
    @TundraPHX @TRDFerguson - can attest to going from cheapies to quality auxiliary...maybe they'll chime in here. Me, I've elected to go with Baja Designs for all of my aux lighting w/ the exception of rock lamps, those I went with KC Cyclones V2.

But, IMHO - skip the cheap stuff and stick with the known vendors (Baja Designs, Diode Dynamics, Rigid Industries, KC to name a few) Also I was highly impressed with the TOMAR kit on @KevinK 's truck.

Summoning @memario1214 of Hotshot Offroad who can certainly help you navigate what you're trying to accomplish...

Cheers

-JS

8. Apr 11, 2023 at 4:04 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    I feel attacked.

Black Wolf, KevinK, ToyoMafia and 2 others like this.
  9. Apr 11, 2023 at 4:07 PM
    BiggHertz

BiggHertz DZTLIMO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Stuff and Things

TRDFerguson[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 11, 2023 at 4:15 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    As mentioned, stick with the reputable stuff...Rigid, Baja, etc. Some of the cheaper lights have horrible or misaligned optics. If they are used as fog lights, they have to be street legal, and I don't think any of the cheap ones are.

11. Apr 11, 2023 at 4:17 PM
    jojo9878

jojo9878 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    2016 magnetic grey 1794
    If you do go with the more reputable brands which one do you prefer rigid or Baja. When I was in highschool everyone loved rigid industries. But now I’m getting back in the truck seen especially prerunner everyone goes for Baja

12. Apr 11, 2023 at 4:41 PM
    Steelruger22

Steelruger22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    All over the place
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Silver Sky Double Cab
    Leer Topper, Platinum Bumpers, Limited Grill, TRD Skid plate+cat plate, 5100's all 4 corners, Rear Airlift Bags, Compass/smartlink rearview mirror, Ditch Lights, LED Headlights/Fog lights, Husky Mats, Fog Light mod, DRL Delete, Window vents, Marathon Seat Covers.
    I too was in the same boat. Started with the cheepies because with 4 kids I couldn't justify the cost of the name brand stuff. Over time I seen their advantage. In the last 6 months I have upgraded though from the no name entry level stuff to the mid tier brands and I couldn't have been happier. The two brands that I have found that I have found to be a great compromise between performance and price have been Lazfit and Auxbeam. I have Auxbeam Amber pods in my factory fog spots and am super happy with them. Then I have Lazfit pods for my ditch lights. Was so impressed with them I went with a 41" Lazfit white bar in my hood bulge and a 32" Amber in my lower bumper. Light output is awesome and didnt break the bank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    evanhmn[OP] likes this.
  13. Apr 11, 2023 at 5:03 PM
    jojo9878

jojo9878 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    2016 magnetic grey 1794
    What grill is that in your truck?

14. Apr 11, 2023 at 5:03 PM
    SwitchThrottle

SwitchThrottle Living in Idiocracy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona CrewMax
    There is a build quality difference, and an output/pattern difference. That can't be disputed. Is it worth the cost, that's a personal choice. I have a pair of auxbeams under my Silverado that I resealed before I installed them, and they have held up great over the 5+ years they've been on the truck.

For the Tundra, I'm stepping up to Baja Designs for auxiliary backup lights, and Diode Dynamics up front. I splurged on the 42" DD combo bar, and it throws an amazing amount of light.

15. Apr 11, 2023 at 5:13 PM
    Steelruger22

Steelruger22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    All over the place
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Silver Sky Double Cab
    Leer Topper, Platinum Bumpers, Limited Grill, TRD Skid plate+cat plate, 5100's all 4 corners, Rear Airlift Bags, Compass/smartlink rearview mirror, Ditch Lights, LED Headlights/Fog lights, Husky Mats, Fog Light mod, DRL Delete, Window vents, Marathon Seat Covers.
    It's a Limited grill that I Line Xed. Couldn't stand the chrome SR5 grill she came with

16. Apr 11, 2023 at 5:21 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Early on I cheaped out on lighting (light bars, pods) but usually within a year's time the lenses either fogged or condensated. Nothing looks worse than having condensation in your lights. I now have a combination of Baja and Plash (Texas owned and operated) lighting but have managed to keep 2 Rough Country flush-mounted pods in my rear bumper (no condensation yet) and a couple of Infinite Offroad pods in my front bumper (lifetime warranty).

The cheaper pods and light bars give off bright light and that will do the trick for a short time but they just don't last long. The more expensive lighting gives off bright light and will do it for longer - not to mention companies like Baja deliver specific light patterns you won't find in most cheap light selections.

Wallygator and FrenchToasty like this.
  17. Apr 11, 2023 at 5:53 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Lots of secondary lights on the truck, but don't have a bunch of photos right now. Front and rear fogs, bumper mount secondary brake turn tail, bumper mounted 4 corner marker lights, running board lights, puddle lights, bumper mount ditch lights, overhead secondary front and rear marker and turn, secondary overhead brake, secondary bumper mount front turn and fog. Cab lights and bulge bar still waiting for me to find the time. Trust me, I have lights and use them regularly without problems. I'm not going to spend time searching each unit right now. Sorry!
    Edit: forgot overhead front and rear work lights, switchback Lasfit amber/clear fog/driving, bumper mounted Hella driving lights, auxiliary bumper mount reverse/work lights, and bed lights. IMG_20230118_082645923.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    Wallygator likes this.
  18. Apr 11, 2023 at 5:59 PM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.5gen CM SR5 TRD OffRoad
    I have a bunch of Nilight stuff on my trailers for aux lights, cheap stuff that's decently bright for $35, but I'm unsure I'll go cheaper as such with my truck once I get to doing the front lights. Been eyeing the Hella Black Magic ones though.

19. Apr 11, 2023 at 8:42 PM
    TundraPHX

TundraPHX Ryan started the fire.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Yep. Just go straight to the (4) LP6 setup or the 40+ inch onx6. Skip the in between spending. You’re gonna want more. Trust me.

20. Apr 11, 2023 at 10:25 PM
    evanhmn

evanhmn [OP] mmm chicken pot pie

Member:
    State of Taxes
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD Off-Road AC 4x4 Limited in Black
    5100/2885s, 1.5" Add-Leaf, BFF Front Bumper, 265/70/17 KO2s
    The lights in question @jojo9878 :

IMG_9493.jpg

Good feedback so far tundies. I think if another one of my lights fogs out I'll try out auxbeam. I also have been wanting to get a roofrack and hopefully a lightbar so we will see,

21. Apr 11, 2023 at 10:56 PM
    APalmTree

APalmTree 4x4 SKEPTIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad White Crewmax 5.7L
    1 or 2... I lost count
    It all depends on what you want the light to do. I have had a nilight 30" bar in my grille for about 3 years now with zero issues and I have been happy with the output to an extent... my problem with the light was the fact that it doesn't throw light farther than my high beams. For low speeds it puts off a stupid amount of flood light, but, if you are primarily using it on back roads or higher speed scenarios, it doesn't get you much. Recently I put on a full bumper with a full array of new lights in addition to the bar in my grille. The new bar in my bumper is an Ironman4x4 brand (mixed opinions on them around here so take that how you will) but the difference in light output is staggering. I posted a couple pictures here https://www.tundras.com/threads/ultimate-lightbar-pod-thread.88038/page-4#post-3051224. My camera does a decent job showing the difference but it cannot show you the difference in what I can see with my eye, basically once the Ironman bar is flipped on I legitimately cannot tell the difference if I was to turn all the other lights on and off, it washes all the rest out. I also no longer have the ability to "outrun" my light as it easily throws usable light ~3 times farther than my high beams now in a much larger spread as well.

TLDR: A higher quality light bar will do a much better job of throwing light farther, cheap options just can't match the optics of the established "name brands" (Ironman4x4 is also not really on that list but I am happy with mine :thumbsup:).

22. Apr 11, 2023 at 11:04 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    Business up front, party in the rear.

I would recommend anyone with lighting questions ask @memario1214 in pm or on the phone for the straight dope.

memario1214 and TRDFerguson like this.
  23. Apr 12, 2023 at 12:33 AM
    AZ Red Nek

AZ Red Nek Native of the Valley, Bowl, Basin, ETC...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    2016 White SR5 Crew 4x4
    Hidden 1200# Waren winch, Baja Desgins lights, Switch Pro switch and controller, S&B air box and in bed tool box.
    I'm running BajaDesigns, only negative is cost. Positives are
    1. Customer service
    2. Build quality
    3. I believe what they cal u service, ie broken, or cracked lense, simply replace the lense and gasket. Wish you went with different color lense again just change them out. Want to go from spot to driving combo, change the lense.
    Anyway just an old farts opinion.

24. Apr 12, 2023 at 1:07 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    I’m slowly switching all my lights over to BD (except fogs - those are staying DD.. unless a pair of new BD SAEs fall in my lap). I used to get into debacles with @BiggHertz over lighting and power distribution modules but have slowly learned the value of a quality item in this department.

I too like to think of myself as frugal but it probably comes off as cheapness. Still won’t pay over $350 for a pair of lights or light bar. Good thing about BD is that they will service a light (even if you buy second hand) so long as they still manufacture that light. They have a good presence on this forum and seem to do honest work. They’re only a short drive from me, so planning on heading up there one day to drop off my new-to-me XL Pros for an upgrade to XL80s. Maybe I’ll get lucky and pick up a scratch/dent 50” onyx6 ;)

25. Apr 12, 2023 at 4:22 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Personal preference. There are videos showing comparisons and some of them show that the Rigids are brighter.

26. Apr 12, 2023 at 6:25 AM
    KevinK

KevinK SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    Yep, buy once, cry once, for lighting.

A lot of things can be upgraded in stages effectively because there’s a strong used parts market for things like suspension and bumpers and wheels. But almost nobody is buying used lights.

Wallygator, 831Tun, reywcms and 2 others like this.
  27. Apr 12, 2023 at 7:14 AM
    reywcms

reywcms New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    Beaverton,Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platnium
    Too many mods to come
    I see this a lot up here in pnw. Rigs with cheaper lights end up having enough water in them you could put a goldfish in.

Diode dynamics are great value and awesome optics. I’m running them for fogs and spots but will be moving over to Baja designs just because my ocd isn’t happy running two brands.

Buy once dry once for sure as mentioned above. Decide how much light do you actually need. Will you be doing a lot of night runs etc? I have enough for the daily use but night runs at speed is another story.

KevinK, Wallygator, 831Tun and 2 others like this.
  28. Apr 12, 2023 at 7:15 AM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    I see what you did there

reywcms[QUOTED] and BiggHertz like this.
  29. Apr 12, 2023 at 7:33 AM
    reywcms

reywcms New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    Beaverton,Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platnium
    Too many mods to come

Lol thank you

30. Apr 12, 2023 at 7:56 AM
    BiggHertz

BiggHertz DZTLIMO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Stuff and Things
    Also,
    Lights work well to light up kids soccer field when the league and the parks don’t align on scheduling facilities….

8BFC7A6C-154A-447B-A81A-228611C31C41.jpg

KevinK, chugs, Wallygator and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top