1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My Stereo Install, Tech 12 Volts Hertz Kit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Justbass, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Oct 5, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    TRD Sway bar, Lomax Tonnueau cover, Bed rug, Havoc HS2 Steps, Tech 12 Volts stereo upgrade, Yakima bed extender, misc trim and bling,
    So much helpful information on here that I thought I would add another stereo install. 2020 Platinum and plan to keep the JBL head unit. After getting some estimates from local install shops, my cheap a$$ said 4k to 6k wasn't going to happen (stereo + some sound deadening). So looking at all the options that folks on here taken, I went with the Tech 12 Volts kit after reviewing the equipment. I went with it as is, because anything more wouldn't make me any happier. Once you add in sound deadening and a few supporting install items, was about $1800. I will state that the sound design material from James is a cut above products that I've looked at, just oozes quality when you start working with it. I also won't deny that some of my planning was influenced by what some folks have done on here and shared.

The Kit:

StereoKit.jpg

2. Oct 5, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    TRD Sway bar, Lomax Tonnueau cover, Bed rug, Havoc HS2 Steps, Tech 12 Volts stereo upgrade, Yakima bed extender, misc trim and bling,
    Kit arrived on Saturday, about 10 days after order. This is because the Sub enclosure is built on order and the resin applied inside needs to cure and smell abate before it can be shipped. Speakers, AMP, DSR1, sub enclosure, mounting hardware, AMP tray etc. all included. Only thing in the pic above that isn't, is the heat resistant loom on the right.

bulldog93 and MyActualName like this.
  3. Oct 5, 2020 at 6:29 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    Sunday morning, lets prep a few things. Put the subwoofer together and painted the the mounting brackets. Of course some Tesa tape for wires and a little (very little) sound stuff to bring the box resonance down a little

IMG_0300.jpg

SubDone.jpg
    PaintAdapters.jpg

bulldog93, GAknight and MyActualName like this.
  4. Oct 5, 2020 at 6:48 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    The afternoon was spent getting the Sub installed. I can't claim this approach, but it made sense. Once the cymbal (aka access panel) was covered, then used the tap, listen and apply method for the rest of the back wall. Also cut the harness off the JBL sub to hook up the new sub enclosure. Took between 5 and 6 hours, start to finish. This is kind of it until next weekend, truck sits outside and don't want it out of commission, so it will be done in baby steps.

TearOutBack.jpg
    DeadenBack.jpg
    PutBackTogether.jpg

5. Oct 6, 2020 at 12:36 AM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    Once I took my rear seats out in my DC so I could apply deadening material I left them out. It s so much better having all that room at my disposal.

6. Oct 6, 2020 at 1:53 AM
    Zed

Zed New Member

Member:
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Brown 1794 Tundra
    how much was everything if you dont mind me asking? I'm thinking about upgrading my stereo

7. Oct 6, 2020 at 4:48 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    Some of it will depend on your needs and how you configure the 12 volts package. Since I'm keeping the JBL head unit there were some added costs to the advertised selling price. I stayed with the speaker package as is, so no dual sub. Breakdown of mine is as follows. $1200 for the package includes the DSR1. $450 for the sound design deadening material (as others have stated you are in there, might as well add it) this was 5 rolls because I also want to do some other skin work. This is also the most time consuming part of the install. Might get away with 4, but the back almost took 2 rolls alone. Then $150 in additional items, heat resistant/uv resistant loom, tesa tape, speaker gasket, a couple of tools I didn't own. So yeah about $1800 total. Still less than the 5k/6k to pay a business to do it.

8. Oct 6, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    FISHN43

FISHN43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Pro
    Looks good and I bet will sound killer. I tried to get a hold of tech12volts (email and phone message) with some questions I had. Unfortunately I got no response. I’m moving on to something else. Will likely go with Oem Audio Plus.

9. Oct 6, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
    looks nice so far - keep us updated please

10. Oct 6, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    Sometimes I got quick responses, other times might be a day or two. But he answered all my questions before I purchased. This is not Amazon, the service is good but at a small business owners pace. He means the best, but probably gets overwhelmed sometimes with the eCommerce portion of the business.

Randydw, jlewis44 and PWMDMD like this.
  11. Oct 6, 2020 at 5:31 AM
    FISHN43

FISHN43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Pro
    I know he’s a small business and from all the info on this forum, sounds like a one man show. I’ve read a ton of great reviews about him and his business so I gave him try. Obviously my email and follow up phone call a few days later slipped through the cracks. I even mentioned the forum hoping to get his ear, but no luck. I’m sure he’s a great guy and runs a good business, but probably gets a little overwhelmed sometimes. It’s ok, I just have to move on.

12. Oct 6, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters

Thats to bad you are having issues getting in touch with @james@tech12volts.

I've traded emails with him a couple times and have purchased his JL Audio Dash tweeters for my CM. Never had an issue getting in touch, but I was ok to wait a few days.
    Also - dont think he responds to any contact methods on a sunday. Think that his family day.

PWMDMD and rockmup like this.
  13. Oct 11, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    Well had a nice day yesterday to tackled adding sound material and speakers to the door. Roughly 10 hours of work, majority of the time was the sound material. So now all the new speakers are in and waiting for the AMP, most likely next weekend. Did it improve the sound, some but nothing I would write home about. To my ears, the dash and the AMP are really the issues to the JBL sound system. Dash is too bright and an over powering sound stage. And then the AMP, lack of power and signal distribution are just usable. So what I have learned not having done this in decades?

Sound Material: Ok this stuff is cool, but a bunch of work. Also there is a point of diminishing returns. If you use the tap, listen and apply technique, you get to the point another piece is not going to make a difference. Is it good for setting up speakers to produce the best sound they can? Absolutely! In fact that is where I focused my efforts and rebuilding the vapor barrier because I did some outside door application. (You'll get a kick out of one photo, Toyota's version of sound deadening.)

The JBL/Toyota engineers should be shot for this type of wiring. Sure it was based on cost decisions, but when you wire for new stuff, there are going to speakers that won't work because of how signals are managed and sent with the Toyota JBL AMP. May have more thoughts later, but a couple of pics from yesterday.

Toyota sound deadening, rear door work...lol

ToyotSoundDeadening.jpg
    RearDoorInProcess.jpg
    RearDoorReady.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  14. Oct 11, 2020 at 7:00 PM
    jaflynn738

jaflynn738 New Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Make sure you're sending your email to this address for James, tech12volt@gmail.com. Thats the one I use to get hold of them. He was great in giving me advice and I ordered my last week from him.

15. Oct 11, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    This. The *MOST* I've waited is 3 hours to hear from him; the vast majority of the time, he responds within about 30 minutes to an hour.

jaflynn738[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Oct 11, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    G10dra

G10dra Not a New Member

Member:

I can't say definitively but from the second picture, I think you have blocked your vents. This will cause moisture in your cabin.
    read all about it here on this thread.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/moi...nd-deadening-to-rear-wall.60019/#post-1574793

bulldog93 likes this.
  17. Oct 12, 2020 at 6:18 AM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    I have been in contact with James via phone, text and email about 10x this past week including last Saturday night at 7PM while he was fishing - yes, when I told him to enjoy fishing and that my question can wait until Monday I still got a phone call 5 mins later. He is a small business and I do remember reading somewhere he typically deals with several hundred emails per day. He's not the loquacious type, but I have never not received an answer. Occasionally, I have waited a day or two but most of the time I get a response within hours. I do believe he takes off Sundays and will usually let everyone know on FB if he's not going to be answering phone calls or emails on any particular day.

18. Oct 12, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    Tchase

Tchase MostlyLurk

Member:
    Buckley WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra Limited
    In work
    OP do you have a a DC?

19. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    Nope, Crew Cab - Platinum

Tchase[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    No problem, its a Crew Cab. Only applied to back and didn't extend under the side panels. Truth is I wasn't looking for these so called events, but confident I didn't cover anything that looked like those pics.

21. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    Now that all the speakers are installed, started looking at the NEW JBL AMP a little closer for setup and wiring. What an impressive design, almost 2 AMPS in one. The 5th channel (SUB) can put out 320/500rms based on the ohm setting, the other 4 are 50/75rms again based on the speaker resistance. So I have started working on the harnesses and planning the AMP installation, I hadn't looked closely at the specs until recently. Also Tech 12 Volts provides the settings for the installation to take out the guess work, they also flashed the DSR1, such service. I just trusted the package was well designed and haven't been disappointed at any point yet.

bulldog93 and NCHammy like this.
  22. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    Tchase

Tchase MostlyLurk

Member:
    Buckley WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra Limited
    In work
    Ok because i was going to save you the trouble that the speaker box can't go in that way on the DC :)

Justbass[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  23. Oct 12, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    jaflynn738

jaflynn738 New Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Thats awesome, I ordered the same package last week. Did that Amp come with bass control knob? I'm so excited to get mine and get started like you. I have been following your posts, so continue with the updates if you don't mind. Also if you have any additional advice, I would love the advice or anything that can save me from extra work.

Also did you upgrade your 6 1/2's ? I see online it shows K-170 for 6 1/2's and you got the K-165 in the picture ?

24. Oct 12, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    Yes, there is a bass control knob in the package, not going to install initially as I think the Perfect Tune app for the DSR1 will give me the balance I want in the system. For me not something I would fiddle with after the system is tuned to my preference, so I could use it, then just unplug. Time will tell if that choice was right.

There is so little to no difference between the 165 and 170, the 170 is barely larger, but the specs are the same. So nothing to be concerned about. I will say with the stock AMP the music warmed a little (my preference), but until the dash speakers are killed off and clean power added I won't know for sure. I think the difference is for stock vehicle replacements and doesn't really matter with the custom speaker brackets from Tech.

On a side note, I've been re-working the installation instruction James provided. Re-organized the information and steps. Sent him a draft last week and got a "You Rock" back from him. So as I'm testing his document I've been adding descriptions and tips as I go. Was easy enough to give back after working with him.

Also really glad I got a single sub instead of dual, would not have been happy to bend or remove the jack tools holder for the sub enclosure. Also unless you really want to thump, the single will balance just fine in an enclosed space.

bulldog93 likes this.
  25. Oct 12, 2020 at 12:51 PM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    I use the bass control knob all the time. Oh and instructions? All I got was a box of stuff so consider yourself lucky!

26. Oct 12, 2020 at 12:59 PM
    Justbass

Justbass [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    I just asked and he emailed them to me. So yeah they weren't in the box of stuff.

PWMDMD[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Oct 12, 2020 at 1:10 PM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    Lol...didn't think of that! :)

28. Oct 12, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    jaflynn738

jaflynn738 New Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Any chance you wouldn't mind sending me the instructions so I can start preplanning or becoming familiar with what I have ahead of me? If not, I totally understand.

Yeah i didn't think about the jack and jack tools. I have the Non-JBL system so I went with everything you got, but went with 2 10 JL subs in the big ported box.

MikeMac CA likes this.
  29. Oct 12, 2020 at 10:08 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    Westcott TRD Pro Lift | SCS SR8 | BFG KO2 35x12.5r18 | Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX & Tech 12 Volts - Hertz & JL 10w0's | BAKFlip MX4 | Line X Platinum | NFab steps | HR Interior LEDs
    Good luck with anything beyond making an order from those guys. I’m local to OEM and tried to give them my business but their approach is very much, “trust us, it sounds awesome, totally worth it...no we don’t really have any way for you to hear it before giving us all that money...”

It took a couple of calls to connect with @james@tech12volts but it was well worth it. Much better sound, for a much lower cost. My installer has done several OEM+ systems and said there’s no comparison between their stuff and what James sold me.

PWMDMD likes this.
  30. Oct 12, 2020 at 10:21 PM
    jlewis44

jlewis44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro - White
    Westcott TRD Pro Lift | SCS SR8 | BFG KO2 35x12.5r18 | Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX & Tech 12 Volts - Hertz & JL 10w0's | BAKFlip MX4 | Line X Platinum | NFab steps | HR Interior LEDs
    Same....I thought it was dumb when I saw it in the box when it arrived but I use it all the time. Some music was produced with excessive bass, some not quite enough....it’s not “necessary” but really nice to have.

I did the dual JL 10’s also with the JL amp. jack stuff fits under the seat no problem (and I have the ESP storage under the seat). I would love to hear one with the single sub. I’m tempted to say 1 would be enough because 2 is absolutely capable of being too much.

Last thing I would say to anyone considering keeping the stock head unit is reconsider.....I initially kept the (non-JBL) HU in my 2017 Pro. Eventually upgraded to the Pioneer 7600 NEX and the sound quality is 1000x better. Could be partially attributed to moving from BT audio to WiFi with Android Auto but every source sounds massively improved.

You guys are all going to be happy once the junk stock stuff comes out!

Products Discussed in

To Top