1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My reality of towing. Tips or advice?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by NeverEndingProject, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Apr 12, 2019 at 10:37 PM
    NeverEndingProject

NeverEndingProject [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra sr5 Trd 4.....
    Toyteck, supersprings, super bumps, repeat, Arb lockers banks e. System....
    i know that oem we can tow 7000 lbs. but after regearing to 456 and
    Having supper springs plus supper bumps in al 4 corners and 10000lbs hitch. Onn33” tires. upgraded to steel braded lines. How much more I can tow? Granting my truck is 700-800 already heavier. I’m hoping to get my hands on an fj cruiser. Drive down to Dallas (300 miles). Get an auto transport from U-Haul. Anybody knows how heavy they are? And tow the fj cruiser back home. Stock, I should be able to. Regearing and suspension upgrade should help. So why the U-Haul web site won’t let me rent one 9690031D-E7F4-4A5C-BDFD-70269D4376C6.jpg
    74F1737D-6F26-4C73-8A62-374796C722F9.jpg
    my latest pic. Upgraded the headlamps to projector led. Now is better than new.
    42A79CA2-651C-4874-B033-19ECE7C1C1A7.jpg
    This is just low beams only on dark county road. Hi beams the whole world lights up. Don’t have pics of hi beams. Was so distracted. This lights are so good that I ended up getting the yellow tint kit for headlamps. My Hellas are only for fog and snow now. They don’t make any diference as white lights annymore.

Thanks to echoey for your input on the bump stops and superbumps. So happy w. Them. Dying for toyteck to make a decision on my favor to make the boss 2.5 for mine. My current 2.0 set up is getting to old and tired

2. Apr 12, 2019 at 10:42 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Damn!! That’s a sweet looking tundra!

3. Apr 12, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    You can't change the laws of physics. Towing safety is based on many things, including radiator size, vehicle weight, wheelbase, etc.

But like anything else, its not like you are perfectly fine up to 7000lbs and then when you hit 7001 suddenly it all goes to hell. But manufactures have to draw a line somewhere where they think the lawsuits from people who kill themselves towing won't outweigh the sales from having as a high a tow rating as possible.

FYI...U-haul car haulers weigh 2200lbs. They require the towing vehicle to weigh at least 80% as much as the combined weight of the trailer and the vehicle, and the most they will let you haul period is 7500lbs.

4. Apr 12, 2019 at 11:01 PM
    NeverEndingProject

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra sr5 Trd 4.....
    thank you. Yr right math is math. I for got to mention that there is a dual e. Fan also. To help w. The hotness

I think the fj weights about 4800 lbs. plus the U-Haul transport. 7k lbs. shouldn’t be a problem then but I probably misunderstanding the 80% of the combined .... of the. Well if the trailer and the fj weight 7k lbs. and my truck wights 7k no good then?

5. Apr 13, 2019 at 12:13 AM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    Well, I won't say that it can't be done if you're careful but U-Haul isn't going to let you. Of course....I heard a rumor once that sometimes people don't give U-haul accurate information concerning what the towed vehicle is going to be.

I mean...technically you wouldn't be exceeding the max rating for the U-haul trailer, or the max tow rating for your truck so IN THEORY, nothing should actually break. However, if you did get in an accident or something I'm not sure what U-haul would think...

6. Apr 13, 2019 at 3:13 AM
    NeverEndingProject

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra sr5 Trd 4.....
    Thank you. It makes since. I appreciate yr opinion. I’ll have to get the trailer and input on a smaller lighter vehicle. Wich is on my menu of choice. And between the point of making a reservation and actually the day of using it, the purchase can be different. However. I do feel more comfortable

7. Apr 17, 2019 at 6:26 AM
    ND_Porkchop

ND_Porkchop New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra 5.7 CM DSM
    I personally wouldn't tow that close to your rating even if uhaul would let you.

Do you have a buddy with a 3/4 ton?

Another option to explore is renting a uhaul box truck and use that to haul the car trailer.

I've done that in college when my VW golf waterpump failed on a snowboarding trip. I had a good friend use my CC to rent a box truck and hauler (none of us owned big enough trucks back then). Still was 1/4 the price of the two tow quotes I got.

Then I just went through buying a vehicle out of state. these were the choices I saw. You can probably price out the options on your own.

Fly out, drive it back.

Drive out with my wife, have a mini vacation, and drive two vehicles back.

Another option (and what I selected) would be to have the vehicle shipped. I shipped my Tundra for $690 for 756 miles. I used a dealer that reviewed well, walked the vehicle for me, and the Tundra was a 1 owner with Toyota service records.

I found it intimidating to find a good freight broker, but the company I used was great. They are based out of Miami, the shipper he used was based out of MN and was also great. Hit up this guy if you want(email below), I talked with Leo quite a bit throughout the process.

His email is: LCastillo at CompleteAutoTrans dot com

8. Apr 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Or...Check to see if you can rent 3/4 ton pick-up with tow package from Enterprise. Early morning Southwest flight to Love Field, have Enterprise pick you up at Arrivals (or whatever they do at Love), pick up the hauler, pick up the FJ, bogey home...one day. Gasoline one way, one day rental, easy-peasey. (Assumes you live near a major airport.) :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top