1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Multimedia/Head Unit

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Toolslinger, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Jan 29, 2023 at 9:30 AM
    Toolslinger

Toolslinger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited - Blueprint, DC, 6.5 Bed, 4x
    Ok... Question on the head unit...
    I took a look through the manual, but I'm not seeing anything.

In another post I saw someone mention that they had Navigation running, and the Radio displayed to the side of it.

That would make sense to me... I run Android Auto, and there's nothing but a giant black panel with a clock in it to the right... That's a horrible use of the giant screen, but I sure can't find a way to change it. I find it infuriating that I have to go through a couple different screen presses to get the radio display up. From AA, it's the apps icon, then Toyota, then the Radio. That's a bit absurd. Am I missing something, or is this just what we get? I wonder at times if the engineers ever actually tried to work any of these systems while driving. As much as I love the tech, I also miss dedicated buttons for functions I can find/press without looking away from the road.

Taikowaza likes this.
  2. Jan 29, 2023 at 9:52 AM
    MJPlat

MJPlat New Member

Member:
    This has been a sore point that others have mentioned- why not split the screen since it's so big.

In Apple Carplay mode, you can split the screen. Maybe that's what you saw?

Taikowaza likes this.
  3. Jan 29, 2023 at 10:26 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    None
    One thing I don't like about the CarPlay split screen is that it has a window for music playing from the phone, but you can't... or at least I don't know how to... have the truck's onboard SXM populate that window while Google Maps takes the left side.

Taikowaza likes this.
  4. Jan 30, 2023 at 4:53 AM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    I struggle with this also. To actually see the full screen Sirius on the touchscreen, having to switch to the Toyota app, then audio, then Sirius is dangerous while driving. Yes we should never touch the screen while moving. But TBH full disclosure I have been known to do it.

The Toyota app integration with the CarPlay integration is sh*t. It’s like two different OS resident in the same interface. They need to integrate far more seamlessly.

Another example of this for me is adjusting audio settings (“audio tuning”). To adjust audio balance, or EQ settings, requires going to the Toyota app, then settings, audio tuning, scrolling down, then touching either draggable treb/mid/bass or moving the floating dot representing audio spatial placement. Should all be possible with steering wheel.

5. Jan 30, 2023 at 5:59 AM
    Toolslinger

Toolslinger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited - Blueprint, DC, 6.5 Bed, 4x
    Ok, well, then it just sucks... Glad I'm not just loosing my mind...
    Might just dust off an old Garmin, and leave the bloody radio on the display. Thank heavens we got a display in there that's bigger than my first TV was...

6. Jan 30, 2023 at 6:23 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    None
    Unfortunately, we will need to keep an old Garmin around because all this "connected" navigation... Google, Waze, Apple Maps, Toyota nav, whatever... is worthless when you lose your cell signal. It's OK if you are enroute but if you stop and need to resume when there is no signal you are SOL. I know, you can get offline maps for these apps for an area if you plan ahead. Key words "plan ahead". I am going to miss the Pioneer NEX I had in my Tacoma with its onboard NAV and maps. Didn't need it often but when you do, you do. Now, where is my ancient Garmin...

Products Discussed in

To Top