1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving from CA to WY

Discussion in 'North West U.S.' started by boondocmedic, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Nov 21, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    boondocmedic

boondocmedic [OP] New Member

Member:
    Star Valley WY
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 Tundra 4x4
    Prodigy P3
    ...and couldn’t be more excited to leave California for the beautiful Wyoming/Idaho region.

I accepted a job in the SW corner of WY and looking for recommendations on good communities to potentially buy my first home. Star Valley Ranch seems to be the high-cost area (along with JH). However, I’m a little nervous about buying where there is so little infrastructure (in case of job loss or medical emergencies) which makes living closer to Idaho Falls a little more attractive to me.

How realistic(or idiotic) would it be to commute into Star Valley from Idaho during winter? I have a 4wd Tundra and 3-peak/snowflake rated M+S tires.

Any winter prep tips are appreciated. Already picking up a battery jump pack and tire cables. I always have flares and recovery rope in my truck.

Thanks all.

2. Nov 21, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    waynescaggs

waynescaggs No more of that .

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra Crewmax Limited
    I retired in January of 2017 after 33 yrs with same Co. sold my house and bought and moved to Idaho November 16 2017 I took possession of the keys and never looked back , daughter and grandkids are also here
    Good luck with your new job and your move .

boondocmedic[OP] and aperezsh like this.
  3. Nov 21, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    I’d look into some high quality lights/fogs for night. The amount of animals out there on those desolate wy. highways is insane.

4. Nov 21, 2019 at 8:11 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Welcome. I live in Victor Idaho and work in Jackson, WY. I moved to Victor Idaho last April and love it. I do drive up and over the pass daily, yes it kinda sucks but you get used to it. If you move to Victor, Driggs area you will have to go up and over Pine Creek pass and down through palisades to Star Valley. Last I drove it took me 1:15 min to Star Valley in the Summer hauling ass. Winter I would add another 45 min. You will be just fine with 4wd and snow rated tires, I wouldn't worry about that.

aperezsh and boondocmedic[OP] like this.
  5. Nov 21, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    So jealous...congrats!

6. Dec 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    boondocmedic

Member:
    Star Valley WY
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 Tundra 4x4
    Prodigy P3
    Oh, awesome. I have a buddy that’s a bit of a vagabond between San Diego and Victor. I’ve heard Victor is pretty nice! He’s been calling it home for a while and is now back on the road.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I have a block heater ready to go in, and a battery blanket and new battery are next on the list. I’ve considered going dual battery, but I think I’m just going to get a Northstar 27F and call it good.

Thank you, again!

7. Dec 18, 2019 at 10:11 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Welcome to Wyoming. Please leave California in California. :p

Winter prep: Find a big open parking lot when it snows, and romp around in it. You need to actually see how your vehicle handles in it. Try to fish tail it, and recover, spin the tires out at a low speed and see how the vehicle reacts. MAKE SURE THE LOT IS LARGE AND EMPTY. You don't wanna hit anything while learning to drive int he snow and ice. Also, wildlife are on the roads a lot, so avoid driving at dawn and dusk.

8. Dec 20, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    boondocmedic

Member:
    Star Valley WY
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 Tundra 4x4
    Prodigy P3
    Oh, we intend to leave it in the rear-view! I’ll say though, there are more conservatives in California than people think. Its unfortunately the big metro areas (LA and SF) along with destruction of the middle class that keep the state blue. Not to mention how many have been leaving the state for years due to taxes and etc.
    :puke:

We are excited to move to WY and leave Commiefornia behind. If there is any concern of us inflating home prices...don’t fret...I’m a paramedic (read: poor) and not yet a home owner. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top