1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Movie reviews

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by smslavin, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    smslavin

smslavin [OP] Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Last night, Bec and I bailed on the kiddos and did something we hardly ever do. Go to the movies. The two of us. Without kids. It was wild.

Lately, we've gotten into going over to Sie which, if you're in the Denver area, is totally worth it. If you're driving down Colfax, you'd never see it. If you've been into Tattered Cover, you've probably seen and wondered what it was. Kind of an art house. Home to the Denver Film Society. They run non-mainstream films which are usually the best ones.

Last night, we went to see 'I, Tonya'.

Holy. Crap.

Most of us know the story, at least most of it, so I'm not sure how to describe this. Mockumentary? Dramedy? Cross between the two? This was absolutely brilliantly done and one of the top 5 movies I've seen this year. Margot Robbie was amazing (Oscar worthy) and the rest of the cast slid into the roles like they were the actual people. What till you see the clips at the end of actual interviews. Cinematography was great, especially on the ice, and the story is totally bonkers. It was setup unlike anything I've seen.

Final verdict? Highly recommend.

AxelsHumanDad, Bob, Sunnier and 3 others like this.
  2. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    May have to check it out. Independents usually screen movies actually worth spending money on. How much for :popcorn:?

3. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:31 PM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    dunno. we didn't buy any. but, they have a full bar so bec had a glass of wine with the show.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    A few nights ago, I got around to watching Blade Runner 2049.

I'll admit, I was slightly apprehensive as the original is such an iconic film. However, Roger Deakins is one of my all time favorite cinematographers and Denis Villeneuve is now one of my favorite directors. They worked together on Sicario. Another amazing film that is a must see. Deakins worked on Skyfall, No Country for Old Men, A Beautiful Mind, Shawshank Redemption, Fargo and many others. Villeneuve really showed up with Sicario then stamped his mark with Arrival. Between the two of them, I knew Blade Runner would be quite the visual treat. It didn't disappoint.

The basic premise of what makes us human from the original movie extends to this sequel. The great thing was that the world it takes place in gets expanded. Lots of new sights. Farms in the desert to trash heaps in San Diego to the wasteland of Vegas. You do have to pay attention as there are lots of things going on and plenty of references to the original film.

Jared Leto is amazing and super creepy. He makes a great villain while his assistant Love is a perfect henchwoman. Rachel makes an appearance towards the end in an amazing feat of CGI wizardry. Dave Bautista was perfect for his small role in the beginning.

Then there's Joi, Ryan Gosling's AI girlfriend. The interaction between the two of them throughout the film was excellent and thought provoking.

One of the most interesting parts for me was when K (Gosling) went to go see the memory maker. Lots to read into with that scene.

One of the big questions from the original was whether or not Deckard was a replicant. In this one, there is one hint that he was/is but it's still ambiguous, which I love.

The ending is a bit open ended and leaves room for the possibility of a third installment. If there is one, I hope Villeneuve helms it.

AxelsHumanDad, Bob and rons23 like this.
  5. Jan 17, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    That's good to hear Sean. I have been anticipating this movie coming out. I was a big fan of the original. :thumbsup:

smslavin[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 17, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I finally brought myself to go see Star Wars Last Jedi. I won't waste anyone's time, and will leave it at that.:mad:

Noodle likes this.
  7. Jan 17, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Pro Crewmax, Cement
    Many KB Voodoo Fabrications accessories!!
    He was absolutely amazing in Dallas Buyers Club, so I don't doubt your assessment one bit.

smslavin[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 17, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    that's too bad. i thought they pulled it together really well.

9. Jan 17, 2018 at 9:41 AM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    It was better than Episode 7 I'll give them that.

10. Jan 17, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    Noodle

Noodle That Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Files creek
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited TRD DC Inferno
    I concur, i took my son to see it when it first came out. I fell asleep about an hour in.

rons23[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 17, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I’m a lifelong Star Wars nerd. This movie was the worst of all of them, including the prequels. There were some decent moments, but overall was complete shit. Breaks my heart to type this out, as the return of Luke Skywalker was something I’ve looked forward to since I was a kid.

85-90% of it was crap. The video games have better stories.

Noodle likes this.
  12. Jan 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Pro Crewmax, Cement
    Many KB Voodoo Fabrications accessories!!
    The best sleep comes during bad movies. I was absolutely comatose during Speed.

Noodle[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top