1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Most simple/Easy to repair years for Tundra?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by mtnhaul, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:06 AM
    mtnhaul

mtnhaul [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Access Cab 4.7v8 4x4 TRD
    Hello all. I am currently in the market for a used Tundra and would like to learn which years tend to be easier to work on and diagnose problems. I am coming from a 1992 non-turbo diesel with mechanical fuel injection so I am looking for simplicity over performance. In other words I am not at all concerned about the power difference between the 4.7 and 5.7 Tundra engines. Reliability and ease of maintenance/repair are my biggest concerns. So with that said are there model years that are significantly more complicated as far as sensors and electronics go, poorly designed access to parts that are commonly replaced, general design flaws? My budget is around 15k and not really looking at model years after 2012 or so. I personally prefer the cosmetics of the 1st and 2nd gen Tundras. If only I could have an access cab with an 8 foot bed--that would be my perfect truck.

YardBird likes this.
  2. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:16 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    2nd gen with the 5.7, no timing belt to change, strong reliable V8 and they are solid trucks.

3. Aug 9, 2022 at 7:23 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Welcome from LA (Lower Alabama)!

4. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:08 AM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
  5. Aug 9, 2022 at 8:54 AM
    mtnhaul

mtnhaul [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Access Cab 4.7v8 4x4 TRD
    So I assume the 5.7 has a timing chain. Have many people reported how much weight you can actually put in the bed? For instance my F250 has a GVWR of 8800 but I have grossed between 11k-12k many times and the components have held up fine. I know overloading isn't advisable but sometimes mfr. ratings are extraordinarily cautious and seem to assume a driver won't adjust to accommodate the increased braking distance, etc.

6. Aug 9, 2022 at 9:08 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    I'm not sure anyone wants to go on record regarding the "unofficial" load rating, but you will see a LOT of discussion around this on this forum, especially as it relates to towing.

7. Aug 9, 2022 at 9:18 AM
    Okiebug

Okiebug New Member

Member:
    Why not look for another 7.3 powerstroke if your wanting to overload? They can still be had and are one of the best engines ever built as I'm sure you're aware.

8. Aug 9, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    If the aussies can officially update the GVWR on a vehicle with upgrades then it is absolutely possible to do, maybe not legally, in the US. Problem is, its difficult to determine what the weakest link is contributing to the factory GVWR. I am sure if you upgraded the axles, bearings and suspension, you would increase payload capacity.

It would be intersting to find a tundra in Australia that has successfully "upped" their capacity and see what they did to achieve the higher rating.

Products Discussed in

To Top