1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moscow

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by smslavin, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Jan 18, 2019 at 5:03 AM
    smslavin

smslavin [OP] Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Day 1

The day had finally come to move Roxy to Moscow. We flew Denver to Munich (9.5 hrs), short layover in Munich (1.5hrs) then onto Moscow (2.5 hrs). Customs was easy and the ladies working the desk were excited to hear that Roxy was going to the Bolshoi.

Slavin_190114_3144.jpg

Grabbed a cab from the airport to the Bolshoi. Holy crap. Russian traffic. The youtube videos are valid.

Security at the Bolshoi does not speak English. Many hand gestures later, Roxy is getting the once over from the Academy doctor then it’s upstairs to find her room. A couple of students grabbed Roxy’s bags and helped her get upstairs.

The ‘den’ mother for the floor showed us her room then helped us find sheets and a blanket. All in Russian. All business. She was practically running us up and down the hall.

Roxy has 3 other roommates who are all 15. All three are Russian. Her basic language skills are already being tested. All three are super friendly and whatever couldn’t be translated through pantomiming was cleared up by the magic of the Google.

The den mother grabbed a couple of older boys to show us down to the cafeteria so Roxy could get some dinner. Pasta. Vegetables. Fruit. Yogurt. In Russian, the cafeteria ladies told Roxy she had to eat all of the vegetables because they thought she was too pale. 20 hours of travel will do that.

Back upstairs, we figured out what class Roxy was going to be in and one of her roommates helped her track down some of the students in that class. Again, all Russian. Bec and I sensed a theme occurring. More on that later.

She became instant friends with her classmates. I find it amazing that kids can do that, language barriers and all. Somewhere along the way, we lose that ability which is a shame.

While Bec helped Roxy get unpacked, I sat down the hall in the common room. Kids of all ages running through the halls. I picked up Russian, English, Spanish and Japanese. A couple of kids from Australia were stretching on the floor in front of me while a little boy was jumping from chair to chair speaking Russian into his phone. Winter break was just ending and the stream of kids with suitcases was nearly never ending.

Roxy was finally settled so we took off to find the hotel. It was a short, 10-15 min walk from the Academy. Small, quaint, quiet. Definitely not on the tourist track.

2. Jan 18, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Wow. Fantastic for Roxy, gotta be super hard on the parents.

3. Jan 18, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    Broncobroke

Broncobroke Super White Power

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Piedmont, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra 1794
    What an awesome experience for a young lady! I would think yes, it gotta be super hard on the parents.

4. Jan 18, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Wow, cannot imagine this experience. I am sure she will do well. Hoping the whole family does well.

Thanks for sharing!

5. Jan 18, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    How are the “Moscow Mules” over there?:D

6. Jan 18, 2019 at 7:05 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Thanks for sharing, Sean.

More of your awesome pics though of Russia.

:pccoffee:

Also, can you run into the middle of the street and scream "Draaagooooo".

7. Jan 18, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    "Счастливого пути".

8. Jan 18, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch

Yes, what she said.

9. Jan 18, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    :gossip: pssst. FBI. Look up there ^^^ :spy:

TheBeast, Law323, Fishman57 and 6 others like this.
  10. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    What a great experience.

Notachickmagnet and smslavin[OP] like this.
  11. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    Toyokuhl

Toyokuhl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cav Blue CM OR
    Am I the only one who has no clue who Roxy is or why it is in moscow?

12. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    His daughter, has been invited to study Ballet there.

In the photography thread there are pics of her. He has also mentioned in other threads.

13. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    she's my middle daughter and last summer the bolshoi ballet invited her to came and train full time in moscow. one of a small handful of americans who had been invited. we've been here the past few days getting her settled in.

MS22, Boerseun, smy and 12 others like this.
  14. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Super cool experience for Roxy. Great parents!

15. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    Toyokuhl

Toyokuhl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cav Blue CM OR
    Wow, not what I expected the answer to be. That is super cool. I now really like this story. Great experience I imagine

16. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Sounds like one hell of a life experience for Roxy Sean! Glad to see that you guys were able to take her over and get her settled, I imagine that made things a lot easier for all of you. How's the weather in Moscow this time of year?

17. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    Well, you are also a new member, so it will take some time to get to know our life stories :)

TheBeast, Law323, ColoradoTJ and 4 others like this.
  18. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:16 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    Look at the pic at the beginning of the thread :boink:

Sup Zach? Long time no see.

19. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Day 2 - Tuesday 1/15

This was a day to get shit done.

Slavin_190115_3151.jpg

Medium gray daylight happened at 8am. We wandered downstairs for a traditional Russian breakfast spread. I recognized toast, oatmeal and panna cotta. Tried a little bit of everything else minus the meat spread. What I ate was awesome, what I didn’t, looked awesome.

Slavin_190115_3155.jpg

We walked back over to the Bolshoi to finish Roxy’s check-in process. On the way over was a lot of seeing and little photographing. It doesn’t matter where you are in the world, what color you are or the language you speak. So many basic things are the same.

Slavin_190115_3166.jpg

More paperwork plus settling a balance of 20 euros that had been subtracted during the bank transfers. They then sent us to the bank to pay for the extension on Roxy’s visa as well as get 3 copies of every page in her passport. Every. Page. Including the blank ones.

Slavin_190115_3156.jpg

A few blocks from the Academy was the local Sberbank branch. State-owned just like telecom, media and oil/gas. Single words and halting English got the visa paid for and one of the tellers helped me find the ‘switch language’ button on the ATM. Visa extension and receipt in hand, we walked across the street to the copy center.

The copy center was really a do everything photo lab. In one corner was a guy making lattes. In another, a Fuji developing machine. Behind the counter was a single desktop copy machine. The woman next to me in line helped translate and we walked out with our copies to head back to the Academy to turn it all in.

After dropping the remaining paperwork, it was off to find Roxy some sheets, a towel, a bathrobe and a few other necessities that were too big to pack.

Down to the Metro.

Slavin_190115_3172.jpg

Slavin_190115_3179.jpg

I’m not sure how to accurately describe the Moscow Metro. Pictures and words may not do it justice. The stations are super organized, clean and architecturally beautiful. I’ve never seen anything like them and each one is different. Some lines have new, modern trains while others are from the 60s. The older ones are much more fun to ride. Nostalgic. History. Lots of history.

Slavin_190115_3194.jpg

We headed down to the city center since that’s where the hotel suggested. Tons of shopping just none of it in our price bracket. There’s money here and those that have it, have lots of it. Bec and I were pretty floored at the shopping. Rodeo Drive doesn’t even come close. We needed to find something else but we needed some local knowledge.

Slavin_190115_3204.jpg

Slavin_190115_3207.jpg

Popped into the Marriott to ask their concierge. Over the top helpful. She drew everything out on a map for us and off we went to the mall.

A short subway ride later, with a line switch, and we emerged in Moscow suburbia. No cookie cutter, pop-up neighborhoods here. Apartment blocks in every direction but right across the street, the mall. Shiny, new, steel and glass. Completely out of place surrounded by the cold war era apartment buildings.

Slavin_190115_3216.jpg

Slavin_190115_3217.jpg

We found the home store in the basement which was like a mini-Ikea. It was even laid out the same. Arrows on the floor and everything. Just no meatballs. Again, everyone was incredibly helpful in helping us get through the language and find what need.

Back to the subway to make our way back to the hotel.

Slavin_190115_3219.jpg

Only a day in and this city was growing on me. So much of it is anachronistic I find it fascinating. Bec finds it a little unnerving but the artist in me can't stop loving it. So many contrasts.

Last errand to run for Roxy was to get a SIM card for her phone but that could wait until tomorrow.

Fiesta346, SIXSEVENONE, ntg and 15 others like this.
  20. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    it's dark. been snowing off and on every day. temps in the mid to upper 20s F although yesterday was cold, about -5C with wind and snow. it's a damp cold, not dry like denver, so it goes right through you.

Law323, Blueknights75, 831Tun and 2 others like this.
  21. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:20 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    Awesome pictures as always, Sean. Thanks for sharing this with us :thumbsup:

22. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

23. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:27 AM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Sounds like the infamous Russian winter is exactly as advertised. You gonna get to do any sightseeing there, like seeing the Kremlin and such?

Notachickmagnet likes this.
  24. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    i'm a little behind in the write up. yesterday we spent most of the day at red square visiting the state historical museum and lenin's tomb. tomorrow night we have ballet tickets down at the bolshoi theater. sunday we're running around with roxy and monday we head home.

25. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:47 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    running gallery of images

http://www.slavin-studios.com/moscow-1

this has everything, minus the video, that i've shot up until this afternoon. i'll continue to add to it. the images in there are a couple of days ahead of what i'm sharing in this thread.

MatthewPTguy, Sas, Black Wolf and 4 others like this.
  26. Jan 18, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    Trooper2

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    Awesome pics!

Did you visit the Surf / Coffee shop? LOL

Black Wolf and Notachickmagnet like this.
  27. Jan 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    Monday is gonna come too quick :(

Notachickmagnet likes this.
  28. Jan 18, 2019 at 10:17 AM
    Notachickmagnet

Notachickmagnet New Member

Member:
    This is so cool !
    What a great opportunity for your daughter!
    Your posts and pictures are great as always!

Broncobroke likes this.
  29. Jan 19, 2019 at 12:17 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Day 3 - Wednesday 1/16

The waiter in the hotel restaurant brought Bec her coffee, looked at me then went and jumped on his phone. A huge smile crossed his face as he came back with a picture on his phone. ‘Your face. You look like this!’ The picture was of Tsar Nicholas II of the House of Romanov. ‘You just need longer mustache,’ grinning as he said it.

Bec had been texting with Roxy. While technically, there isn’t a ‘uniform’ for her class, all of the Russian girls wear the same leotard and warm up outfit. She was adamant about having the same ones. She wants to stand out but she also wants to fit in. So, we added finding the Grishko store to our list for the day. First stop, though, was getting her phone turned on.

Slavin_190116_3226.jpg

Right around the corner, across the street from the Metro station, was the phone store, Tele2. A little bit of Google Translate and we got her on a month to month pre-paid unlimited plan. Unlimited. Cost? 400 rubles per month. Roughly 6 dollars. Per. Month. AT&T should take some notes.

Slavin_190116_3225.jpg

Slavin_190116_3234.jpg

Off to the Metro and another cruise into suburban Moscow to find Grishko. More Metro stations to gawk over. The art and architecture is really amazing. We changed trains at the Lubyanka station. Just above is the Lubyanka building, home of the KGB and massive amounts of history. A few more stops later and it was back to the surface.

Slavin_190116_3233.jpg

Slavin_190116_3235.jpg

Finding the Grishko store took a little bit of hunting but we finally found it out tucked into the back of a building. With a little math conversion, we took a guess as to Roxy’s European sizing and walked out with two leotards and a warm-up suit.

Back on the train to city center to find some lunch and wander Red Square a bit.

Slavin_190116_3241.jpg

Christmas and New Year’s has just ended here so many of the decorations are still up. On our way up to Resurrection Gate, we got sideswiped by some street performers. We had a few laughs then I noticed the kid with the camera. Total tourist shakedown. I gave them a little bit of money then we walked away as they were still yelling at us for more. Got under my skin a bit but it’s part of traveling.

Slavin_190116_3249.jpg

We walked through the Gate and had to stand there for a moment to soak it all in. Pictures and movies do not do it justice. The gray sky, red brick, black cobblestones, the towers of St. Basil’s and the yellow wall of the Kremlin were quite the sight. Taking up almost the entire center of the square was the Christmas Fair and thousands of people.

Slavin_190116_3261.jpg

By this time, the daylight was beginning to fade as was the temperature. Bec wasn’t going to last much longer so we called it a day and headed back to the hotel.

Slavin_190116_3274.jpg

30. Jan 19, 2019 at 1:28 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Day 4 - Thursday 1/17

With our errands for Roxy complete, we had a day to ourselves so we headed back down to the city center to wander and see some sights.

Slavin_190117_3323.jpg

Getting off the Metro at Okhotny Ryad, we took a walk down Teatral’nyy Proyezd past the State Duma building, where there was a line up of black BMW 5 and 7 series sedans with official plates and blue gumballs on the roof, past the Bolshoi Theater and the Metropol Hotel then into a shopping arcade to try and find some peace from the wind.

Crossing the street to the arcade, we passed the 4 Seasons which had six Maybachs waiting at the front door. Entering the arcade, we were greeted with a Bentley dealer as well as Ferrari along with several stores featuring very expensive suits in their windows.

Slavin_190117_3289.jpg

At the far end of the arcade was the GUM building which borders one side of Red Square. Ultra high end shopping with an interesting history.

Originally, it had been the State Department Store and after the 1917 Revolution, it had the goal of being a private enterprise along socialist lines. Communism through consumerism. Stalin repurposed the building to house the administration for his Five Year Plan in the late 20s. After his wife’s suicide in the ’32, her body was displayed briefly in GUM.

Slavin_190117_3300.jpg

From there we wandered over to the State Historical Museum. Russian history has always fascinated me, much like Japan, and this place has been through so much. The Museum put it all into one place and it was a lot to take in. It was all there. Medieval ages, religious icons, the House of Romanov and even Lenin’s Rolls Royce. On the upper floors was a complete photographic history of Nicholas II and the photographs were incredible. Many looked like they had just been taken yesterday. Truly amazing.

Several hours later, we wandered across the Square to Lenin’s Tomb. Snow had begun to fall. Once through the security check, we walked along the wall of the Kremlin towards the Tomb. Police outside. Military inside. The inside is all black marble and so quiet. There was a guard at every corner and a near constant stream of people. Several flights of stairs down and you come to the central room where he is enclosed in a glass box surrounded by a glowing red light. Lying there since 1924, completely preserved. The guards gently kept us walking. Outside, behind the Tomb and against the Kremlin wall is the Kremlin Wall Necropolis. Among those interred there are Suslov, Stalin, Kalinin, Brezhnev and Andropov.

Slavin_190117_3318.jpg

Snow was falling harder and the temperature was dropping. The cobbles of the square had turned into an ice rink.

Getting back to the hotel, we decided to try and find local neighborhood place for dinner. A short walk through the wind and driving snow brought us to small, quiet little cafe. The owner could speak a little English and helped us order some traditional Russian dishes. Great place with wonderful food. Partway through dinner, the owner’s wife and son came in. He and his son immediately started up a game of chess.

Slavin_190117_1013104.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top