1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Morimoto XB issue

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rockmup, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Oct 25, 2020 at 2:36 PM
    rockmup

rockmup [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's
    So a few weeks ago I blew the fuse for my tail lights on my 2019, put a new one in and blew right away so I left it until I could spend some time looking at it, I had WinJet tails at the time.
    I finally got some time the other day and I removed the WinJets and put the stock lights back in, blew the fuse.
    Went to the front to look at the headlights and found this on the passengers side, no bueno.
    I have an email into the vendor I bought them from but they are out until Tuesday, its been less than a year so it shouldn't be an issue. My google foo didn't pull any failures up on Tundras but it might be of interest to someone else.

IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5351.jpg
    IMG_5352.jpg
    IMG_5353.jpg

2. Nov 6, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Wow, that definitely looks like a short.

3. Nov 6, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    rockmup

rockmup [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Sure is/was.
    Kinda irritated by the customer service. Seller doesn't process the warranty, it has to go through Morimoto. I will be 3 weeks before the replacement shows up AND I had to pay for the replacement. They'll send the call tag and I send the damaged one back, if they find its their problem they will refund the payment

4. Nov 7, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    BrandonL812

BrandonL812 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sequoia LTD
    Rx350 retrofitted, Morimoto Led fogs. interior and exterior leds swap. TRD drop in filter. Carbon filter delete. Led DRL panels. TRD Shift knob.
    That's pretty crappy man. Hope everything works out for you.

5. Nov 7, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    BlueRibbon4x4

BlueRibbon4x4 Let’s color match it

Member:
    First Name:
    Geno
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon 4x4
    Holy hell, that’s no joke. Seriously could have caused a fire. Make sure to take pics of where you wired in your harnesses so they don’t have deniability. Unless those are completely plug and play.

buckrub71 likes this.
  6. Nov 7, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    As a morimoto fanatic, I'll be watching your case with alot of interest.
    Just a question, on your model year (my 16 had amber DRLs halogen), you had the jumper harness and NO DRL wire going across the radiator support correct? Mine did and my chicken ass loomed all of it. Your issue seems to originate at the base and the tail lamps are on a different circuit. Its hard to rationalize the tail lights causing this. Fuses should have popped. This looks internal. I know we're not experts, but can you isolate the wire with the most damage? Was it your white wire? Did you have to change the flasher under the dash? Maybe an electric genius can chime in..

My guts telling me that M is going to have to eat this one...

7. Nov 7, 2020 at 7:25 AM
    rockmup

rockmup [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    2019 1794 w/factory LED's. My issue was no tail lights but the wires are melted together so it just picked the path of least resistance, it blew the tail light fuse. The worst damage is the white wire that burned from the amber through the harness and to the end of the adaptor harness. I did not have the wire un plugged for the sequential turn signals.

New light should be here Tuesday with the harness.

NewImprovedRon and Tierhog like this.
  8. Nov 13, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    rockmup

rockmup [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    So they sent the light but not the adaptor harness that they told me would be with it. It was not.
    They say they wont have any for another month so I'll keep waiting. Thankfully I still had my original lights

9. Jan 10, 2021 at 9:17 AM
    rockmup

rockmup [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    So I finally got the harness and installed them today, everything works as it should.
    One thing I noticed right away is these harnesses don't look anything like the harnesses I got with the lights originally. Makes me wonder if that vendor wasn't making their own.

Morimoto is on the right

IMG_5604.jpg

10. Jan 11, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    Headlight Revolution

Headlight Revolution New Member Vendor

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    That harness on the right side is the updated harness for the XB LED headlights! The original harness on the left was found to have issues on certain trucks with error messages, this revised harness is simply meant to fix this issue, no worries my man! :) They should install the same way as the original harness did.

Looking at the original photos on this thread of the burnt wiring, that is crazy! However I think I might know the cause here. Did you use the provided Turn Signal Adapter when installing? There is a turn signal jumper harness that is included, same connectors but just re-orients the pins to different spots/channels. It almost seems like instead of popping your HAZ fuse, it melted the wiring instead. I've seen this happen once before when somebody installed the harnesses incorrectly and caused this wire to melt after a week of use.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  11. Jan 11, 2021 at 3:23 PM
    rockmup

rockmup [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Not sure on the adapter, I used what is in the picture. I never had any issues until I did. These had been in the truck for a few months before this happened and everything worked. I'm pretty anal about checking my lights all the time so I'm confident about when it happened.

Thanks for the info though

12. Sep 30, 2021 at 4:09 PM
    CanDras

CanDras New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Plat. Supercharger, Fox 2.5 DSC, Total Chaos UCA, ADD Stealth Bumper, ARE topper, 35x12.5x20 Toyo MT, Fuel D671
    Hey, I just ran into the same issue I think, I installed my lights without turn signal jumper harness since I didn't see it till I was done and since they worked great I didn't think much of it. Once I realized that my DRL were turning off with my low/high beam I figured that maybe I needed that jumper lol but now with the jumper it makes my HAZ fuse pop, with out the jumper my tail fuse pops lol wtf

Even worse now, with the jumper my blinker doesn't work

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top