1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Modification Remorse

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by T-Guy69, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Sep 4, 2020 at 6:56 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    I love my 2020 Tundra as is. The only thing I would like to change is the Bridgestone tires and that isn't fair as I haven't had this tread pattern in the snow. Who knows, this tread pattern may be better than the last set I had.

But I see a lot of you modify the heck out of them. Do any of you have "modification remorse"?

Which modifications do you regret doing and why?

Sunnier likes this.
  2. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I regret waiting 8k miles or so before starting to mod the truck. Should have done it right out of the gate. I'll never get those boring 8k mile back.

3. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    BlackSheep

BlackSheep caffeinated member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    held together by duct tape and baling wire
    I plan on driving this truck until it just won't go any further. It's paid off, and it's the first vehicle I've enjoyed driving since 2008. So no, I don't regret modifying it to suit my interests more than it already does.

4. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:24 AM
    HaveFun

HaveFun Happy to be here

Member:
    Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tundra CM SR5
    So far no regrets except having to explain to my better half that I understand I didn’t need it, but I wanted it.

5. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    Asimov2025

Asimov2025 Not Sure

Member:
    North Texas
    Non-stop mods
    No remorse. No different than modifying a house. If it's a rental I would not do it but when I own it I make it how I like it.

6. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    trd.james

trd.james New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    2020 TRD PRO | Westcott Lift | 35" KO2's
    All I did was put an inch or so of height on the truck to fit 35's, tint the windows, and run sound deadening through the cab to improve sound quality and reduce road noise. You won't regret any of those mods.
    That said, I've had more than this Tundra and in the past I did do a lot of "mods" that I regretted. I like the "OEM+" look. The truck is near perfect as it is. Don't change anything you aren't sure about.

7. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    shakezoola

shakezoola Not a new member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport MGM
    N-Fab MRDS Bfront Bumper w/ Rigid Industries Radiance PODS and Curved LED Light Bar TRD Skid plate Victory 4x4 Roof rack and hood mounts with Rigid industries Midnight PODS Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309TND Alpine PDR-V75 5-Channel amp powering 4x Image Dynamics component speakers Alpine S-A60M powering 1x 12" sub Fortin Remote Start with MyCar App Switch Pros SP-9100 Pop-and-Lock tailgate lock vLeds front turn signals w/switchback Center Console Safe Pedal Commander Diamond Back HD bed cover Swing Cases Driver/Passenger Katzkin Leather seats w/ heated front seats Bilstein B8 5100's Front and rear AMP Research PowerSteps Toyota TSS wheels w/ DuraTracs Toyota bed mat Bed light (LEDs) Blacked out badges Sport Antenna
    A lot of mods I've done can be undone. Some cannot. I have no regrets about the one's that cannot be undone. With some of the ones that can be undone, the only regrets I have would be not doing it right the first time. For example... I bought Cover-King neo-supreme seat covers, then I got leather seats installed. Should have just done the leather seats. Bought a BakFlip2 for a bed cover (didn't even get it out of the box), then I bought a DiamondBack HD. Who knows what's next.

Mountun Goat and Bob_Wiley like this.
  8. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I am enjoying all of my mods & upgrades, and I am looking forward to installing my new Auburn LSD.

9. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    Bob_Wiley

Bob_Wiley I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful...

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black SR5 Crewmax 5.7 FFV
    My only regret is doing some cosmetic mods before more practical ones. This is my first truck, so it’s been a lot of learning, but if I had to do it again I would have spent money on suspension, rims, or tires first. And I would never have paid to have someone install the spacer lift or steps for me. :facepalm:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  10. Sep 4, 2020 at 7:59 AM
    BlackSheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    I have to agree with @shakezoola , there is only one thing that nags at me that I've done to the truck, and that was skimp on suspension. I spent about 2k on it, and wish I'd have spent about double that.

Mountun Goat likes this.
  11. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Hmmn. 1. I added an Undercover Swing case (black plastic) to the bed of my 3rd gen, so I could secure rescue gear for off-road play. But I don’t have a bedcover and soon after, I bought a second truck to play in the dirt. Plus, I live where it’s sunny and hot, so not only was I no longer needing to store the items that fit in such a weirdly shaped container, but I knew the sun would eventually kill the swing case. So I took it out and gave it to a neighbor with a 3rd gen and a camper shell. But now I have holes through the Line-X’d bed and have to monitor for rust....

2nd, when I got black Line-X sprayed into the bed, I loved the inferno paint on the bed hardware so I wanted to preserve it because it would look great against the black. But the Line-X installer used power tools (badly) to remove/ reinstall the fasteners, and F’ed up the paint. It looks horrible and I’m disappointed every time I look at it.

3rd. I put an RTT on the 3rd gen and it was heavy AF... which didn’t work for the way I use the truck (sometimes camp w/o another adult to help close the damn thing), so I ditched it.

Best I got. Most of my other mods were done by @papasmurf who built my 1st gen long-travel truck, or little things I’ve done to that truck with friends so I can learn, and I love every one!

A great thing about these few modding errors is, once I committed to building the 1st gen, I’d learned to really think through how each would affect my use of the truck. I don’t triage based on cost or looks, but based on usefulness. (And on the 3rd gen, looks... so it’s mostly stock. Btw, I really like those Michelin tires, but I haven’t driven ‘em much in snow.)

Black Wolf, GODZILLA and Mountun Goat like this.
  12. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    Mountun Goat

Mountun Goat She baaaaaahd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
    The only thing I regret, is the pain of all those broken necks as I drive by. Poor civilians.

13. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    Most major mods require you to modify something else which costs more money all for what? attention??!.... I get it some people off-road theirs pretty hard and that’s understandable but most people add mods that are really not needed. Mine is mostly stock, the only major mod is king shocks all around and I love them. Everything else is stock, I love the MPGs from having stock size tires, it’s paid off and I love seeing money in my bank account. Having money is cooler than wasting it away.

14. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.7k Supercharged 2008
    I have remorse that I ever questioned getting the supercharger before I got it :D

15. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    shakezoola

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    N-Fab MRDS Bfront Bumper w/ Rigid Industries Radiance PODS and Curved LED Light Bar TRD Skid plate Victory 4x4 Roof rack and hood mounts with Rigid industries Midnight PODS Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309TND Alpine PDR-V75 5-Channel amp powering 4x Image Dynamics component speakers Alpine S-A60M powering 1x 12" sub Fortin Remote Start with MyCar App Switch Pros SP-9100 Pop-and-Lock tailgate lock vLeds front turn signals w/switchback Center Console Safe Pedal Commander Diamond Back HD bed cover Swing Cases Driver/Passenger Katzkin Leather seats w/ heated front seats Bilstein B8 5100's Front and rear AMP Research PowerSteps Toyota TSS wheels w/ DuraTracs Toyota bed mat Bed light (LEDs) Blacked out badges Sport Antenna
    Some people have more disposable income than others, and choose to spend it how they like.

Ericsopa, jewsNbrews, tbrown and 6 others like this.
  16. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    I regret the mod that took place by accident. The one that is going to cost me a lot of money to undo. Damn flowerpot in a parking lot.

17. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    300BLK

300BLK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 - Black
    Not really a regret but the drop in MPG from 18 to 15.5 is a bit annoying after the lift and 34's but its a truck not a Prius. I specifically chose low maintenance mods with the idea of being "OEM+" in mind.

trd.james and Mountun Goat like this.
  18. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    BlackSheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    Gonna explain that, or do I need to use the search feature :D

Black Wolf and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  19. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:33 AM
    Samoan Thor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    @shakezoola , nothing wrong with that and I never said it was, maybe I’m getting older but I buy less dumb shit now. I just spend it on food and man good food makes me happy as fuck.

20. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:34 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Search “flower pot” and I bet you will find it. Don’t have the pics on my phone at the moment.

Black Wolf likes this.
  21. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:37 AM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
  22. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    Mountun Goat

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
  23. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    Mountun Goat

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
    I’m not gunna lie, I have a full on modification addiction. I can’t look at any vehicle/bike/house/literally anything without seeing what it should look like imho. Been like this as long as I can remember. Food is handy, but it doesn’t satisfy my undeniable urge to change shyt. Nothing is ever good enough.

Edit- I do love a oem+ truck. That’s is technically modified. Just not for me. But I get jacked when I see anything modified.

24. Sep 4, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    Samoan Thor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    @Mountun Goat understandable man, that’s life. Maybe I’m gonna be one of those grumpy old veterans, but I’m happy with what I have and just spend money on food, traveling and on my family.

Mountun Goat likes this.
  25. Sep 4, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    I have had some remorse on other vehicle mods. One was putting 35 inch mud tires on a daily driven 1/2 ton truck. It looked amazing and was great off road (and I did make off road trips regularly) but I should have put 33s on it. It would have driven much better especially since I never changed the gears.

Another regret as adding "performance" muffler to a modified SUV. The drone made driving unpleasant. SUVs can be super sensitive and that interior cabin space can often amplify the exhaust sounds.

Then trying to add a "shift kit" to a 70s car I had as a teen. We made a mistake with one of the trans spring changes and a few weeks later I was having the transmission rebuilt.

And of course I have purchased tires once that just sucked- performed poorly and burned through tread super quick. Ill never purchase bridgestone again.

I think that is it- I usually heavily research mods or upgrades before I pull the trigger, so I do not make a mistake.

Mountun Goat likes this.
  26. Sep 4, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    mcm0455

mcm0455 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    The OEM Bridgestones are horrible in winter conditions. If you live in snow country, you are going to want to replace them before winter.

27. Sep 4, 2020 at 9:17 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    I agree with this! I replaced the upper ball joints, then got new upper control arms like 3 months later. Installed an add a leaf in the back and then replaced the leaf pack 6 months later. Bought new shocks, then new coilovers 6 months later. I'm starting to listen to the phrase "buy once, cry once"

28. Sep 4, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    shakezoola

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    No worries. I get it. The mods make me happy. Not looking for attention. Also... food makes me happy.

29. Sep 4, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    WestexSBK

WestexSBK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SuperWhite CM TRD Sport 4x4
    I regret all the money I’ve spent over the years modifying something with a lean against it. When I realized I was blindly financing modifications my whole mindset changed towards toys and luxury items. Ya it takes me longer to get things but I’m much better off now.

ForceV4, dittothat, Dorks68 and 2 others like this.
  30. Sep 4, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    X2 :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top