1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Missing AUTO LSD Switch

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by beretdra, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Oct 13, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    beretdra

beretdra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey fellow Tundra owners,
    I need info on the AUTO LSD SWITCH. I was reading my owners manual on my 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD and it says and has picture of the instrument panel that the AUTO LSD Switch is located besides the 2WD/4HI Switch. I have the 2WD/4HI Switch but I don't have the AUTO LSD Switch. I check my differential and it has an LSD sticker on it. Where is the switch for the Auto LSD? Kindly provide guidance..

Respectfully
    Ben

2. Oct 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM
    Jrfor0

Jrfor0 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Colorado
    The rear differential in my 2006 tundra was a limited slip. There were no electronics associated with it as there are in the newer tundra. Not sure why there would be a picture of a button for it.

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Oct 13, 2018 at 5:20 PM
    beretdra

beretdra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi JRfor,
    I really don'know why the owners manual has a picture of it and on page 202 it even discuss the Auto LSD function switch. So nice t know you have a 2006 too. I really love this truck and will be my retirement truck that is why I'm trying learn everything on it. I really want to find out whether that switch is existing.

Ben

4. Oct 13, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    Jrfor0

Jrfor0 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Colorado
    I sold my 2006 to buy a 2015 and had over 176k miles on it when I sold it. In the 2006, the rear differential automatically applies power to both wheels due to the limited slip differential. My newer Tundra has an open differential with the auto LSD switch. It doesn't function like a true limited slip like the 2006 did.
    I did a quick search and it looks like the electronic stability control system was an option on the first gens starting some time around 2002. It looks like those that purchased this option would have the Auto LSD button. Sounds like you and I had the mechanical limited slip rear differential.

5. Oct 13, 2018 at 6:18 PM
    beretdra

beretdra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey thank you for the info. I would assume that you've got a lot of experience using this features. So are you saying that what I have now is the true slip diff. Is it better being mechanical? I really don't know how to use this limited slip diff.

6. Oct 13, 2018 at 6:22 PM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC
    I believe the auto LSD button is for 2wd models. My 4x4 LSD is auto like yours and @Jrfor0.

@Darkness can you confirm?

7. Oct 13, 2018 at 6:25 PM
    Jrfor0

Jrfor0 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Colorado
    There are others on here that would know better than I. Hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in. In my 2006 (it was also a 4x4 like yours) it was a true limited slip differential that distributed power to both rear wheels. From what I understand, the auto LSD feature uses the brake to reduce wheel spin at the wheel that has less traction, which causes the power to transfer through the differential to the other wheel which theoretically may have more traction.

15whtrd likes this.
  8. Oct 13, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    If I remember right the auto lsd isn't a true lsd, it uses brakes to mimic the effect of a limited slip diff. I think this was to be used only as an emergency, not for going off road. Not to be confused with the electric locker offered on first gen Tacoma.

The regular mechanical lsd was an Eaton unit if installed from the factory. Dealer option installed lsd were typically the Kazuma unit, which apparently has more grip than the Eaton unit. I run the Kazuma and enjoy it for my use as my previous daily driver and an occasional off road toy.

Casper421 likes this.
  9. Oct 13, 2018 at 10:17 PM
    beretdra

beretdra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wow! you guys really know the Tundra and definitely know its features. What I did was I went to the Toyota website and type my VIN # and it says my truck is a 4WD with factory LSD. Since I'm keeping this truck for good, I have some projects in mind like undercoat/Linex the under body and the bed. Right now there is a Toyota plastic bedliner on it so it basically protects the bed and a snugtop tonneau cover. I want to protect it from rust. Also I will be scheduling an appointment with the dealer for next week because the my truck tend to sway when I make a sharp corner. I don't know if its normal to the truck but I'm a little bit scared today when I drove it and it sways when I did a sharp turn. I thought I will lose control of the steering wheel. I spoke to the guy in the dealership and he said that it normally happens if the truck is lifted but mine is not. So they will of course run a diagnostics. It's like when you turn seems like the rear wheel slides. Hope nothing is wrong with the truck. It only has 40K now. Is swaying normal to a truck?

10. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    beretdra

beretdra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the input everyone.

11. Oct 18, 2018 at 4:32 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind