1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Miscellaneous Electrical Issues

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by kenomouth64, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    Recently my truck started having these strange electrical issues, and I am not sure what the cause might be, as symptoms are intermittent.

These are the issues I have had over the past 3 weeks in order:

1. Car Stereo, dash camera, and radar detector, keep losing power for .5-1.5 Seconds every 1-2 minutes for that drive home.

(I unplug and plug the 12V splitter back in, once home)
    (No issues for a few days)

2. Every internal light on the truck starts flickering rapidly, almost so quickly you can't notice it, all while the Stereo, etc.. are turning off randomly.

(I look at the battery and see mild corrosion on the terminals, so I wipe it with a rag)
    (No issues for 1 week)

3. I start noticing my headlights are dimmer than normal and my starter sounds weak when starting the truck, this goes on for a week, intermittently.

4. Throughout the week stereo, etc will power off and back on intermittently, the headlights run dimmer constantly.

5. While driving, I flick my headlights on and the whole truck shuts off for .75 Seconds, then comes back with no issue, albeit the headlights were still dim.

What do you think the issue might be here?

I am leaning towards the battery terminals corrosion being the problem. I am going to clean those today.

However it also seems like, the truck is running out of electrical Amperage, like there is a short, or the alternator is not producing enough current.

A lot of my driving is at night on rural roads, so the last thing I need is my headlights shutting off when I am going 60 down a rural highway at night.

2. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Look at all your grounds.

Hopefully you find the issue. My Jeep was doing this, and the ground was not in great shape off the alternator, and the alternator wasn't in awesome shape either. Upgraded to a 160A one and life has changed as I knew it.

3. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Start with removing the terminals on the battery and cleaning them really well. I like to use baking soda and water. Get some of those green and red felt battery terminal protectors. I swear by them. Coat the terminals in some grease of your choice or the little packet of battery terminal protectant grease. Put it all back together and see what happens.

Tundyfundy, Kerch71, jeremyd and 2 others like this.
  4. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    If none of that works check any other connection between the battery the alternator and grounds. Have the battery and alternator tested. It seems that our trucks really like a fully charged battery. Anything less causes issues.

5. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    My money is on battery issues. How old is this battery? Is it stock? Do you have a lot connected to it?

jeremyd, 15whtrd and ColoradoTJ like this.
  6. Feb 13, 2019 at 9:28 AM
    Stormtrooper81

Stormtrooper81 Slow and steady

Member:
    Lost coast
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC
    I had the same issue, realized I broke my terminal connection. Look closely. Good luck

NewImprovedRon and 15whtrd like this.
  7. Feb 13, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    kenomouth64

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    I appreciate all of the replies. I am going to clean the battery terminals, and grease them today after work. I might also check out the grounds to make sure they are tight and/or not corroded.

The battery is only a year old, it is an Everstart Maxx, the voltage consistently sits at the same nominal rating now. However when this issue first started, the voltage gauge was bouncing back and forth at about a 40° range between the nominal natch and the low notch.

8. Feb 14, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    kenomouth64

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    Well, I cleaned the battery terminals and clamps with baking soda and a wire brush. The truck did its normal routine after the battery is unplugged... First time starting it always dies, Second time it runs fine.

No issues on the way to work today, so we will see.

9. Oct 18, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    Codywea

Codywea New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    14 Platinum
    2014 Platinum having save issue. No power lose , dash and radio Losing power.
    May happen 3 or 4 times on 30 min drive .

Any update? Tia

10. Oct 21, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    Bucktail

Bucktail New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Sounds like a ground. Did you try wiggling the positive and ground cables on the battery ? Corroded battery cable or a bad battery terminal ? Loose ground connection on the truck somewhere ?

These are what I’d be looking at first.

11. Oct 21, 2019 at 11:30 AM
    Ajkkane

Ajkkane Old fart.

Member:
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM SR5
    Exhaust Dirty Deeds 8”SS, some led lights, Osram headlights, Pro Stop brakes, Pop Lock, AFE dry air filter with charcoal delete.
    I strongly think you are starting to have dead cells or short in your battery. Whatever you do do not take the battery cables off the battery while the truck is running. You will regret it. Take it to a place like AutoZone and have them test the battery and test the alternator.
    Also check all ground wires, On the body and frame.

12. Oct 22, 2019 at 11:25 AM
    kenomouth64

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    This issue did go away for me. I am not sure what I did to resolve the issue. Most likely, it was the battery terminals were loose and corroded.

Tundyfundy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top