1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mid/High Rise Short bed (5.5ft) Topper

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by binarybedlam, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Dec 7, 2022 at 7:53 PM
    binarybedlam

binarybedlam [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2022 Green Tundra TRD
    I have been combing the internet high and low days on end for an example of a topper/cap/camper-shell that is NOT cab height on the 5.5 foot beds. I can not find any mention from any company from any year. Does this not exist or am I just not looking hard enough? I would think there would be more demand for this, if you already have a small bed, many people want to at least maximize their head room! I love my 2022 army green trd sport sr5 4x4 5.5, but am desperately looking for a sleek cap taller than the cab.

2. Dec 8, 2022 at 7:25 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Found several in a .002 second search, so here are just a few. And there are commercial truck caps that are quite high, so research that. Also there are caps that expand-roof raises for camping or whatever you want to do back there.

So, there seems to be units available that may fit your needs, you just need to do some more research

LEER 122 High Rise Fiberglass Truck Cap- is one model higher than the roof
    https://sterlingfleetoutfitters.com/commercial-truck-equipment/commercial-truck-caps/
    https://www.jeraco.com/high-rise-series1.html

3. Dec 21, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    DesertRoads

DesertRoads Telecom Guy

Member:
    Utah's West Desert
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC SR5 V8 4WD LSD & TOW PKG
    LED Lights Galore, My Factory Skid Plate Was Stolen
  4. Feb 22, 2023 at 11:28 PM
    UniFoss

UniFoss New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab Short Bed
    Looking for mid-rise cap
    Thanks for those links (above). Unfortunately as of today, none of those companies offers a cap/topper that's higher than the roofline. In my case, I need to fit a recumbent bike with a relatively tall seat. If I put it in on its side, it makes it hard to fit much else in there, such as one more bike. Sterling offers a lot of amazing, specialized tool kits and other high-end stuff, but no simple caps I can see. Snugtop, Jeraco, Leer and A.R.E. either have nothing yet, or roof-height only. Please post here if you know of anything out there that's a little taller. Thanks!

5. Mar 12, 2023 at 7:34 AM
    clarkritchie

clarkritchie New Member

Member:
    @binarybedlam Like this? Note that this is not my truck.

I like the concept of this, but the ratio of height/width on the short bed just feels "off" to me.

upload_2023-3-12_7-33-38.jpg

6. Mar 13, 2023 at 9:11 AM
    UniFoss

UniFoss New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looking for mid-rise cap
    EXACTLY like that in fact. That’s the one I had on my old Tundra. Unfortunately they aren’t making those (yet?) for the current Tundras. They have the cab-height version, but it’s not tall enough for my intended cargo. My ‘17 looked just like that, only red.
    I’m following a thread where a guy adapted a cap for a Silverado (I think; using my phone right now) and it looks like a near-perfect match. Got to contact him and see if it’s still working out!

7. Mar 13, 2023 at 9:17 AM
    clarkritchie

clarkritchie New Member

Member:
    @UniFoss So you are into these?

As per above, something about the height-width ratio here feels weird to me. I think high toppers look amazing on narrower Tacomas as well as F250s with full-size beds. With a 5.5' bed, it just feels too square-ish to me.

The only canopy I ever had was a roof-height Leer and I felt like a major dope that time I went to pick up a dishwasher and it was a touch too tall for my canopy and I had to rent a trailer.

I really want to love this, but am on the fence.

8. Mar 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM
    WVI

WVI New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @008 Tundra Limited
    I have one like that above.
    It took a year or so of watching classifieds to come accross it.
    It was a 10hr RT drive to get it, but I like it alot.
    I plan on modding it some.

9. Mar 27, 2023 at 7:16 AM
    clarkritchie

clarkritchie New Member

Member:
    I spotted another one. I think the mid-rise looks good when the truck has 35" tires with a wider stance -- sort of that large-and-in-charge look. I am not convinced it would have the same feel with smaller tires and OEM rims/offset.

upload_2023-3-27_7-13-52.jpg

upload_2023-3-27_7-14-28.jpg

upload_2023-3-27_7-13-22.jpg

10. Apr 11, 2023 at 6:03 AM
    zoomspeed05

zoomspeed05 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    Vehicle:
    2006 tundra double cab sr5 4WD
    love these midrise toppers, the next one i get will definitely be a midrise.

11. Apr 16, 2023 at 5:37 PM
    UniFoss

UniFoss New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looking for mid-rise cap
    Not really, it's about fitting in our bikes (a recumbent and a 36" unicycle) so they're secure and out of the weather. I agree a tall cap on a short bed has lousy proportions. Unfortunately it's the functional need. Trucks are generally ugly anyway. On purpose. Current trend seems to lean toward making all (decent towing capacity) pickups look like angry bricks. My new tundra has a really big mouth; reminds me of a whale shark when it's scooping up food... (click the link and then scroll down to the inspiration for the new Tundra's grille) :)

12. Jul 11, 2023 at 3:47 PM
    punkzillaa

punkzillaa New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Tundra TRD Off-Road Limited Crewmax
    Did you happen to find out if it worked?? In the same boat looking for a high rise cap for my Tundra. Feels impossible.

13. Jul 11, 2023 at 9:21 PM
    UniFoss

UniFoss New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looking for mid-rise cap
    I didn't go for the Silverado mod. It looked pretty great but I didn't want to have to worry about custom work, leaks, etc. so I caved and got a roof-height Leer. Amazingly, it was ready in only about two weeks! Getting the bike and uni in and out is a big pain, but they do fit an acceptable amount of space left over for other stuff. I hope someone puts a mid-height on the market soon, but I guess it's just a waiting game. Keep hitting the manufacturer's websites, or contact local dealers, who might be able to get the manufactures to contact them, when something becomes available. I wish you luck!
    20230610_12-01-55_JF.jpg IMG_9632.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top