1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Michigan or Midwest speed shop for supercharged rebuild?

Discussion in 'Mid West U.S.' started by Tecumseh Dan, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Mar 16, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    Tecumseh Dan

Tecumseh Dan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    supercharged 2004 Tundra TRD
    TRD supercharger
    So, my much loved 2004 supercharged, stepside Tundra grenaded the connecting rod of the number two cylinder through the block wall on Monday. I am addicted to forced aspiration, and before I end up with a diesel superduty…. I need to find a speed shop and get a price on building a new 4.7 supercharged motor, with upgraded connecting rods and improved computer etc.
    Can anyone recommend a speed shop in the Midwest better if in Michigan that could rock that out?

2. Mar 16, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    Filthyphil

Filthyphil Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4.7
    I’ve heard that’s why supercharging 4.7’s wasn’t a good idea. How long was the super charger on your truck before it blew? Can’t help with your question but interested to see what you end up doing brotha.

trayday likes this.
  3. Mar 16, 2019 at 8:00 PM
    Tecumseh Dan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger
    Its a TRD supercharger installed new at the dealer, it has 160k. I can count on my fingers the number of times I have really drag raced it, but I have driven it for hours at 90-95 mph across the empty country of upper Michigan. When coming up a freeway entry ramp I always go first. It did fail at the connecting rods as is the general complaint of the supercharged tundras and I did get about half the mileage I expect from a Toyota motor. It is not worth a crap in the snow unless the bed is shoveled full of snow and will come loose in the rain in 4WD at any speed you want. It drinks like a fish, hard on tires, and will frighten the shit out of you at about 120 when the aerodynamics start to lighten the rear end. It will take any other pickup from a stop ( on the roll, those turbo chargers will get me) but it no match for a decent sports car on the big end. Its been a great ride and more fun than I want to give up.

4. Mar 16, 2019 at 8:16 PM
    Filthyphil

Filthyphil Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4.7
    I can appreciate that, sounds like it was well worth the longevity for the amount of smiles it gave you. Hope you get her all built up. I would go to a local race track and talk to some of the regulars and see what they recommend for speed shops in your area.

5. Mar 16, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    Maybe a supercharged 5.7 next?

6. Mar 17, 2019 at 1:45 AM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever driven a 2nd or 3rd gen Tundra?

I think you will not really miss that 4.7 or the SC it had.

If the 5.7 with out a SC'er doesn't excite you, the 5.7 super charger will blow you away.

As for MPG. I get the same with my 2nd gen as I did with my 1st gen. The 1st gen was a dog. I loved the size, but that was about it.

7. Mar 17, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    revtune

revtune New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4.7 AC 2wd
    2006 Tundra: Stock air intake 3 inch catback Magnaflow 13742 2.5 inch front lift 1.5 inch rear blocks 2014 sr5 4Runner wheels (17x7) 1.5 inch hub centric wheel spacers p285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Weathertech floor liners
    First gen tundras definitely have there charm, I would hang on to that truck. Rebuild that puppy if you’ve got the budget. Order some forged rods from japan and enjoy your truck again. Curious, did you have any other mods like headers, Intake, exhaust?

Filthyphil likes this.
  8. Mar 25, 2019 at 4:21 PM
    Tecumseh Dan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger
    I would love to try a forced aspiration 5.7 in my 1st gen Tundra, but that is an entirely different animal. As far as 2nd and 3rd generation, You know that uncle who wore the plaid polyester sport coat? He wore it because it was from the favorite time in his life. Same thing, if I give up on this truck next will be some else entirely. Something, faster.

It has headers and dual exhausts, and larger injectors, all TRD. If I were to start pushing the motor would have started with a new computer for better boost management then smaller pulleys and wilder belts for more boost. But it does not have the aerodynamics for real speed,

revtune, Filthyphil and nowayout like this.
  9. Mar 26, 2019 at 3:45 AM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
    Shoot me a message. There is a shop in nw Ohio that installed my blower that builds some of the worlds fastest supras. I'd think they would be interested..

10. Mar 27, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    Tecumseh Dan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger
    that would be great thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top