1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MattJakob's 2016 SR5 Build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by MattJakobs, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Oct 21, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    MattJakobs

MattJakobs [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    2016 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    SR5, Super White
    Automatic
    Purchased October 20, 2021 with 36k miles
    [​IMG]unnamed by Matthew Jakobowski, on Flickr

A little background before getting started...
    This isn't my first Toyota, but it is my first Tundra. I've previously owned a few 4Runners (1985 4Runner[Sold], 1999 4Runner[Own, Stock], and 2001 4Runner[Own, Pictured Below], and a Prius (former DD).

The 4Runner has become a bit too extreme to take on long road/expo style trips (3x locked, geared to 5.29s, 35s, fully armored, etc.) and the Prius was a little to boring to keep so I decided it was time for a Tundra. The goal for this is to do everything up until the 4Runner is needed. It'll be a pretty mild build with some off road goodies built in.

Engine, Drivetrain, and Under the Hood
    Stawk
    Armor and Recovery

Addicted Desert Designs Stealth Fighter Front Bumper
    CBI Offroad Rock Sliders (Ordered)
    RCI Offroad Engine Skid Plate

Smittybilt XRC 12,000lb Winch w/ Synthetic Line (Awaiting Install)
    Factor 55 Fairlead and Flat Link (Awaiting Install)

Suspension
    Front

2.5 RR Kings - Standard Travel
    700# Springs (Awaiting Install)
    Icon Tubular UCAs (Awaiting Install)
    Sway Bar Delete
    Rear
    2.5 RR Kings
    Deaver F85
    Archive Garage U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Wheeler’s Super Bumps
    Shoes and Stoppers
    SCS Ray10 Matte Dark Bronze 18x9 +25mm 5x150
    305/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx

Lights and Associated Hardware
    Baja Designs OnX6 in Front Bumper
    Interior Upgrades
    Husky X-Act Contour Series Floor Mats
    Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX
    iDatalink Maestro to Retain Factory Steering Wheel Controls
    OEM TRD Shifter
    Meso Customs Chrome Delete Kit
    Roof/Bed System

Leitner Designs Active Cargo Systems Rack
    Amazon Special Bed Stiffeners (Awaiting Install)

Misc.
    Stubby Antenna

And a picture of the 4Runner
    [​IMG]Untitled by Matthew Jakobowski, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    Blang805 and rochmpr like this.
  2. Oct 21, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
  3. Oct 27, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Thanks man. I have a few upcoming trips planned, and a few things have shown up, so I'm hoping to get some progress started in here sooner rather than later.

Taco-Spike[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 29, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Ended up picking up a Leitner Designs Active Cargo Systems rack for the truck bed. Was a little skeptical about the whole bolt together bed rack but overall impressed with the quality.
    I went back and forth on this, or a more traditional bed rack (like BAMF) but ultimately settled on this.
    Eventually, I think I want to build a shell/frame with aluminum sides (similar to the bottom half of a GFC or Vagabond) and mount my GFC Superlite RTT on top. We'll see though.
    Anyhow, here's the Leitner rack installed.

5. Nov 1, 2021 at 11:47 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Took the Tundra up to Palisades for some snowboarding over the weekend. Really happy with this thing so far, looking forward to many more trips up there this winter and for winters to come.

Hoping to head to Yosemite this weekend. Going to throw the GFC up top and get some camping in.

Also placed an order for a new key fob holder from AJT Designs (have one for the 4Runner and really like it), some Husky floormats, and a fog light pod kit from CaliRaised LED (have a set of Amber Driving Pattern Rigid's laying around that'll fit the build). Hoping to get some of this in before the weekend.

Blang805 likes this.
  6. Nov 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    toyofan87

toyofan87 Beer thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Gettysburg, Penna
    Vehicle:
    80- Longbed/87-4Runner/08-Sr5 Tundra
    Toytec 2.0 Aluma 3/1.5 lift with JBA's UCA Falkens AT3 295/70/18
    Congrats... Nice Rigs

7. Nov 15, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Thanks man! Excited for what's to come with this one.

8. Nov 15, 2021 at 2:16 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Took it up to the mountains for some hiking over the weekend. Hoping to have a pretty chill weekend, this coming weekend, to get some stuff sorted on this thing.
    Also picked up some used Kings. Hoping to pick them up shortly after Thanksgiving and installed soon after. Hunt for some wheels and tires begins, thing I'll end up with something of the 35 flavor. Trying to avoid a regear with this one.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  9. Dec 7, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Got some new wheels and tires mounted up. Opted for some SCS Ray10s in Matte Dark Bronze with some 305/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx. I rub like crazy but I've got some things in store to hopefully help with that. Just need to find time.
    I really like the Cooper STT Pros I have on the 4Runner, so I wanted to keep in the Cooper family. Ultimately decided on the ST Maxx because they hook up great (I wheel with a few people that run them), look great, and the STT Pros were a little too aggressive for a daily tire.

68 RS/SS likes this.
  10. Dec 19, 2021 at 7:39 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Ended up getting the Kings and Deaver add-a-leaf installed last week, and aligned at the end of the week. Rubbing has been significantly reduced but I still have some trimming to do.

Anyhow, went up to Palisades this past weekend and got some snowboarding in. Also gave it a much needed bath afterwards.

Also have some plans scheduled on the Tundra for shortly after the New Year. Looking forward to getting them started.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    TOYOTARIG likes this.
  11. Dec 24, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    TFTundra

TFTundra New Member

Member:
    Did you have that mini-pack installed on top of the overload or did you remove the overload spring? What was your gain in height?

12. Dec 24, 2021 at 11:24 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    I added the pack on top of the overload spring and gained right about 1-1/2” of height. I’ll have to take an exact measurement but ground to fender, I’m sitting around 41-1/2”

TFTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 25, 2021 at 6:04 AM
    TFTundra

TFTundra New Member

Member:
    Right on man. Thanks!

14. Dec 28, 2021 at 10:05 PM
    RepeatPete

RepeatPete New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR5
    How’s the ride quality with the Deaver mini pack?

15. Dec 29, 2021 at 12:40 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    No problem!
    Good - Like the progressive feel.
    Not sure how much of that was in the mini pack or the Kings since they went in at the same time.

RepeatPete[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 6, 2022 at 8:41 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Had the new head unit installed - went with a Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX and got all the iDatalink Maestro to retain factory steering wheel controls.
    I'm not a huge fan of floating head units but I didn't like any of the current offerings for a double-din deck and I wanted something big, easy to use, with Wireless Apple CarPlay - I'm hoping the floating unit grows on me and it does look better than I initially expected.
    I also added a stubby antenna as I was sick of looking at the factory one.

Have plans to take the Tundra up to Tahoe this weekend for some snowboarding, have a line on some goodies that I'll hopefully pick up and get installed next week :hungry:

17. Jan 10, 2022 at 11:28 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Got a hell of a deal on a ADD Stealth Fighter Bumper, Baja Designs OnX6 Light Bar, and BNIB Smittybilt XRC 12k Winch w/ Synthetic Line late last week and threw it on Friday. Then headed up to Tahoe area for a weekend full of XC skiing and snowboarding. I still need to wire up the light bar, and I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the winch - it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, but I don't want the extra weight either. I'll probably end up installing it, but going to swap the springs in the Kings first. This will also help with the sliders and skids I ordered :spy:

18. Jan 30, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Took the Tundra + lady friend + doggos (the wirehair guy is mine) out to play in the snow over the weekend. Have to get back up there again next weekend. Had a good time, got a little stuck, and decided I night need to install the winch I have sitting in the garage.
    I also added an RCI front skid. Opted for 1/4" aluminum for a little bit of weight savings
    I've been contemplating changing the spring rate on the Kings - currently running 600# but think I might be better suited with either 650# or 700# with the addition of a winch and sliders (on order)

pvn.beluga and ATV25 like this.
  19. Feb 6, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    pvn.beluga

pvn.beluga New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuc (Phooc)
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra DC
    Not sure at this point.
    Damn, was this on your stock suspension (blacks or 4600s)?

20. Feb 7, 2022 at 11:37 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Yes, stock blacks.

21. Feb 13, 2022 at 3:04 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Did a very unfortunate thing last week. But she's not totaled and the airbags didn't go off (get to keep clean title). Insurance adjustor quoted me for a new frame that's on backorder (ETA 2 months) - not too thrilled with potentially being out that long so I've been looking into alternatives.
    There's a somewhat local frame shop with great reviews and I've received a few recommendations for it. Tentative plan would be to get a payout from insurance for what the adjustor quoted, have the frame shop straighten everything out, and take it to a body shop for the body work. I should be able to expedite everything and may actually come out on top too. More interested in the expedited time line though.
    I had plans to run the Mojave Trail middle to end of March - I'm going to try to have the Tundra ready for it. Probably a bit of a far reach but why not try. Of the parts that need replacing, I'm going to try and upgrade to a set of TRD Pro headlights and a TRD Pro grill. Also need to do something about a bumper. I still have my stock bumper but thinking I want to get another offroad bumper - only problem is lead time on all the fully fabricated ones. Pending what insurance says, I've been thinking about picking up a welder and welding up a Coastal Offroad bumper. I really like the looks of it, it should save a few bucks, and most importantly - I should be able to have one delivered in two weeks time which hopefully means I can get it built before Mojave.
    I'm planning on making a few calls this week to insurance, body shops, and that frame shop. I'm going to try and push to get the Tundra into that frame shop ASAP and then see where I can fit it in at a body shop.

2/17/2022 Update:
    The shop I originally took it to doesn't want to do a partial job and insurance agreed to do a payout so I currently sit here...
    I took it by the shop that does frame repairs and the main mechanic there believes that he can fix this with no problem at all - assuming this is an isolated incident. I'm planned on taking it by a new body shop next Tuesday (2/22) to get a quote from them and pending pricing, I'll line something up with them, take it to the frame shop to have them measure everything to confirm it's an isolated incident, and they'll get to work assuming it is. Then I'll get the insurance payout, order some parts, and take it by the body shop.
    Tentative plan with new parts is TRD Pro headlights, an iHacker harness, TRD Pro Grill, and white hood bulge. Still planning on ordering a welder and building a Coastal Offroad front bumper as well - and stocking it with some lighting goodies from Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics.

2/23/2022 Update:
    I'm planning on dropping the Tundra off at the frame shop this afternoon. I'm hoping to hear back from them before the weekend on the overall state of the frame - and whether or not the damage is isolated to the passenger side frame horn or happens throughout the entirety of the frame. The alignment feels fine and visually, everything looks okay, so I'm hoping it's isolated to the front frame horn.
    I think I've also found a body shop to do the work. This scope of work will be done after the frame work is complete - I'm hoping to have it out of the frame shop mid next week and over to the body shop before the end of that week. I'm still waiting to hear a timeline from the body shop but I'm hopeful they'll be able to get it done before departing for Mojave on March 24th.

2/23/2022 Update #2:
    Decided to put the drop off for frame repair off another day. Called another body shop and I'm going to have them take a look to confirm the scope of body work and that the insurance payout will cover it.

2/24/2022 Update:
    I took it to a second body shop to get an opinion and they think they can file a total loss claim and that insurance might deem it totaled. Sort of hoping for this because of the time it'll take to fix this thing.

3/4/2022:
    Total loss claim filed - the shop thought it would be a total loss but AAA thinks otherwise. I'm $3,500 short of a total loss. There was damage within the engine bay that was not on the original estimate. Going by a mechanic this afternoon to have them quote the under the hood work. Hoping that it totals > $3,500. If so, vehicle will be totaled. If not, I will take a check for the repair bill from AAA and sell the Tundra, as-is, to Copart. Either way, sounds a lot like I will no longer have this Tundra and I will be onto the next one.

3/4/2022 Update #2: Just submitted a quote for $3,541 for additional work needed under the hood. This includes my radiator, AC condenser, and a few other small misc items. Hoping this gets accepted and puts me over the total loss threshold.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  22. Feb 14, 2022 at 2:07 AM
    pvn.beluga

pvn.beluga New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuc (Phooc)
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra DC
    Not sure at this point.
    Damn, what happened?!

23. Feb 14, 2022 at 10:53 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle in front of me missed their turn so they came to a screeching stop. I did too, just not in time.
    Vehicle in front happened to be an F-550 that was loaded full of concrete so it had no movement when I hit it - the Tundra took all the impact.

24. Feb 14, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Rough and Evolving To Do List before Departing for Mojave:
    - Frame fix
    - Install Icon Uniball UCAs and Alignment
    - Install 700# Coils on Kings
    - Rear Shackles
    - New Hood
    - New Fender
    - TRD Pro Grill and Grill Molding on Hood
    - TRD Pro Headlights and Associated Wiring
    - Coastal Offroad Bumper
    - Install Winch
    - Purchase and Install Lights
    - Paint and Install Rock Sliders
    - Cab Mount Chop
    - Debadge
    - Bed Stiffeners
    - Oil Change

25. Mar 7, 2022 at 8:20 PM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Whelp, heard from AAA and they’re telling me the Tundra is not totaled. Pretty bummed about this. But found out a way to get out of this thing and into another one. Already hunted the next one down, hopefully all works out and I’m in the new one this weekend

26. Mar 8, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    MattJakobs

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Did a thing. Will start a new built thread for this guy. 2016, Limited, 38k miles, Supercharged, Long Travel, 37s and Beadlocks

D3026388-7D1B-46C2-9F76-AA3A911B45CC.jpg

TOYOTARIG, 2Tall and pvn.beluga like this.
  27. Mar 8, 2022 at 10:25 AM
    pvn.beluga

pvn.beluga New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuc (Phooc)
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra DC
    Not sure at this point.
    Holy $#!t!!!

28. Mar 8, 2022 at 11:07 AM