1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Marv's Boring Black SR5

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by Marvthehamster, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Feb 3, 2023 at 11:42 AM
    Marvthehamster

Marvthehamster [OP] New Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    ADS/Deaver, Method's, 35's, RCI sliders
    As I get further into the modification of this truck, I thought it would be fun to start a thread about it. I know I've gotten a ton of useful info from other build threads on this site, and hopefully someone finds this thread useful or entertaining in some way.

I bought the truck new in 2018 as a replacement for a GMC dirtymax that died unexpectedly. Broken crank shaft @ like 250k miles on that one. I liked that truck as it had a mild tune and just pulled like an elephant but there was no way I was putting a new engine and drive train in a 10 year old truck with 250k miles on it. Plus, no off roading in a crew cab long bed diesel. Bummer. I needed to go to work ASAP so off to the Toyota Stealership I went! The family was growing and I needed a basic truck that would meet my needs as a self employed contractor pulling a small tool trailer and moving a bunch of car seats. I didnt have a real need for another HD pickup and I liked the look of the Tundras. I had a few Tacomas in the past that treated me well. On the lot, there was a black SR5 crewmax with the front bench seat (column shifter) and ALL the chrome so I got down to business and made a deal. That was probably the easiest sale that guy ever made. I was in and out of the dealership in a few hours and picked the truck up later that night (or the next morning, cant quite remember).

It's been a great truck since then and served me well. As of this post it's sitting at about 80,000 miles and no major issues to speak of. Just about paid off. It's my daily driver, it's done some decent work, served as an off road toy, and hauled my family of 6 with camper in tow on multiple cross country trips. I'll try to document the past 5 years up to this point as best I can and then add the new stuff as I get into it.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences!

ETA: I should have put the list of mods/build spec's here to begin with. Here's the rundown, current as of 4/12/23:

Front Suspension:
    -ADS 2.5" Remote Resi Coilovers
    -MCM UCA's with Icon Delta Joint
    -Duro Bump stops

Rear Suspension:
    -Deaver U748 leaf springs with MCM shackles
    -ADS 2.5" triple bypass shocks
    -ADS 2.125" x2" hydro bump stops

Wheels/Tires:
    -17” Method 703 35mm offset
    -Toyo OC AT3 35x12.5r17
    -5th full size spare with TPMS that rotates regularly

Armor:
    -RCI rock sliders

Misc:
    -ARB dual compressor mounted under hood for onboard air
    -Boost auto tow mirrors
    -ESP under seat storage (3 bin plastic)
    -Rago fab dash plate with ICS phone holders and integrated USB charging

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  2. Feb 3, 2023 at 12:49 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    I think this is the first picture I have of the truck. I think I had only had it for a few weeks before I took my oldest son on his first camping trip. We had a great time up near Williams Fork Reservoir in Grand County. Bone stock!

First lunch in the bed of the new truck! My kids love Good Times. Look at that nearly pristine paint in the bed! No lineX for me, I'm a cheapskate..

Camping trip somewhere near Fraser, I think. First appearance of the N FAB nerf bars! I think that was one of my first "mods". Very exciting stuff!

Camping with the 2 older kids and some friends up Peru Creek, I believe. Near Keystone. Looks like there's a tool box in the bed now. Another extremely exciting mod, there! Still on stock tires and I don't even see any pinstripes!

Older kids checking out some C130 action at the Jefferson County/Broomfield Airport on a nice summer night. Toolbox makes a great seat!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  3. Feb 3, 2023 at 12:58 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    My 6'x12' tool trailer that I used to tow when I was swinging the hammer. Tundra pulled it great!

This looks like my first outing will all 4 kids in the truck! I think I took everyone out of the house one day to give my poor wife a break. We had a picnic somewhere up near Kinston peak. It was a great day. This was only a few months after we had twins. Good thing I got that 6 seater!

Lift Time! Put on some Fat Bob's coilovers and a 1.5" lift block in the rear. Kept the stock leafs and shocks on the rear, though.

When I pulled the skid plate off to install the lift I realized I must have scraped it a few times somewhere :monocle: I believe there are a few pinstripes on the truck by now, as well...

At the same time as the lift, I put on spidertrax spacers to make sure the new 295/70r18 Cooper discoverers fit. I think they'll clear UCA's ok on stock wheels but I wanted to be sure and it added a little "poke" to the stance. I can also see the wiring for the air compressor to my load lifter air bags. I don't have any photos of that install but I must have done that sometime before the lift. I also pulled the front sway bar off during this install.

First trip out after the lift and tires. I think this was also up Peru Creek for a day trip with the kids and another friend with a '17 TRD off-road Tundra. Looks like I still had stock mirrors on.

4. Feb 3, 2023 at 1:18 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Fun times! Might want to start saving some serious money for the future car insurance premiums though.

5. Feb 3, 2023 at 1:40 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    And college tuitions @Marvthehamster. Adorable kids though!

2mchfun[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 3, 2023 at 1:41 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    First trip pulling a camper! We rented one from a place in Golden and went out to Buena Vista for the weekend to see how we liked camping in a camper. Still had stock mirrors. Turns out, we really liked the camper thing! Gotta start shopping for one of those now...

Looks like a trip with the kids down to Home Depot or something. I don't see a trailer out the rear window and the middle seat isnt up so we didnt have mama with us.

Here's our first trip with our OWN camper! We decided to buy new and got a Grand Design 21BHE. It's a great little camper and sleeps 6 just fine (till they get bigger!). No slide outs, double axle, all the stuff we need, nothing we didnt. Weighs about 5500 pounds loaded up. Got an Equalizer E2 WDH with the camper which helps a lot. I dont think I'd want to tow a trailer like this without a WDH. This trip was somewhere near Jefferson, IIRC.

First big cross country trip with the Tundra and the Grand Design. We drove from Denver to Surf City, NC and saw so much of the country. Kids had a blast and the trip was definitely a success. We stayed in KC, KY, and Charlotte on the drive to NC. On the way back we went more southern route through SC, GA, AL, MS, AR, OK, KS, then back to CO. This photo is from Alatoona Lake near Atlanta.

Dairy Queen on the toolbox on a summer night!

7. Feb 3, 2023 at 1:43 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    No doubt! Posting these is getting me nostalgic! I should be doing something more productive right now but it's Friday afternoon and I'd rather look at photos of fun times. We've packed a lot of living into the last 5 years!

8. Feb 3, 2023 at 1:44 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Haha! Yea I keep telling them about trade schools and the GI bill...

9. Feb 3, 2023 at 1:51 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Camping in Jefferson. It's a quick jaunt from the Denver area with some neat spots if you go on the right days of the week. NOT the weekend!

Cruisin the "dirt bumpy roads" as they like to call it. I think we were in Crested Butte that weekend.

Full house. They love the sliding rear window.

Somewhere near Gallup, NM. We were traveling between Denver and PHX to my parents place. Took that trip twice in the last few years. Great drive except for the Navajo Nation Rez. Yikes, sad place that is...

Headed up to Kinston Peak for a day trip of wheelin. The jeep guys are always curious if I'll pick the same lines....

A dude with a Gladiator parked next to me at the barber shop. 37 envy....I has it...It's hard for a Tundra with 35's to look "small" next to a lot of things but somehow that jeep made me look like a midget.

Metro14536, bulldog93 and 2mchfun like this.
  10. Feb 3, 2023 at 2:06 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Another trip to the Jefferson area with just me and the kids, IIRC. It was fall and getting a bit chilly. I think this was the trip that our water heater had a problem. No baths that weekend!

One of my sleepy Copilots.

Wheeling near Alice/St Mary's off Fall River Road. I think my buddy took this photo from his 4 Runner.

Hey look, it hauls lumber too! Who needs a headache rack or an 8 foot bed?

Wash down after an elk scouting trip, I think. That mud was sticky! I can see the grill is missing a chunk of plastic. I accidentally rammed a post in a parking lot a few weeks before this and it busted a piece out. Oh well, it might be my excuse to replace the grill and hood bulge someday..

Straight up winter camping! Went up the road for a couple nights to St Vrain State Park. Kids got to walk all over the frozen ponds and had a good time. This was the weekend I accidentally overfilled my fresh water tank and it popped the tank out of the supports. What a pain to get under there and straighten that out...And yes, that is my 7 year old splitting firewood with the "overhead hatchet smash" technique. Don't tell my insurance carrier.

Somewhere out near Basalt, elk scouting trip. That spot was literally the end of a very tight trail. Not tow mirror approved, I'm sure I got some nice pinstripes that weekend. Needed to do like a 26 point turn right here to turn around. There's a very steep drop on my passenger side that you cant see. There are some places that a Tundra should not go.

Wheelin with a fo' runna. Probably up near Kinston Peak/St Mary's

11. Feb 3, 2023 at 2:16 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Family trip out near Eagle. Lovely country!

Elk scouting trip. Somewhere near Crystal. That road got pretty tight.

Checking out some windmills in NE CO near my in laws place. Kids were blown away at the size of them.

Installing some proper sliders! RCI for the win!

Onboard air, up and running!

Installed Rago dash mount with ICS phone holders. Very useful mod!

As she sits today (2/3/23)

12. Feb 3, 2023 at 2:22 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Posting all those pictures really brings back some memories. We use this truck A LOT! Can't wait to make more memories!

I just ordered a full ADS suspension setup. VERY much looking forward to getting that installed and dialed in. Anyone who's interested in Boost tow mirrors, air bags (with wireless compressor), and a budget 3/1 lift should keep an eye on the for sale forum. I'll be stripping some parts soon and unloading them.

Probably do new tires later this year and possible new wheels at that time, too.

bulldog93, 68 RS/SS and 2mchfun like this.
  13. Feb 3, 2023 at 2:22 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    After seeing the lumber, I think you might want to check out your tailgate bushing on the driver's side. I have abused mine occasionally and actually cracked the steel hinge once. Just a heads up. Another FYI, check out eBay for a bed extender. I found a convertible version there that also functions as an upright post support for like $48. I can't buy the material to build one for that. Bought two here, and in conjunction with my headache rack, I can easily transport a 28' or so LVL with a 5.5' bed.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Feb 3, 2023 at 2:26 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    I'll check that hinge, thanks! I rarely haul anything anymore. My guys move it all with different vehicles or we have it delivered to job sites. The headache rack with a bed extender is a magical thing though if you need to move some long stuff!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Feb 23, 2023 at 7:56 AM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    New parts are starting to show up.....

16. Feb 23, 2023 at 9:27 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
  17. Feb 23, 2023 at 9:32 AM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Tundra234[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Feb 23, 2023 at 9:33 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    I'm running out of mod ideas on mine.

19. Feb 23, 2023 at 9:38 AM
    Jjclamdips

Jjclamdips New Member

Member:
    Wichita, Ks
    Vehicle:
    2000 Access Cab
    F-the Jeep, you have the better vehicle. I would walk before I owned a Jeep.

20. Feb 23, 2023 at 10:14 AM
    gnatehack

gnatehack New Member

Member:
    Middle of Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 5.7 4x4 Bench
    PRO wheels. Maintenance
    Great job Dad and Mom getting those kiddos out! No reason to stop exploring and adventuring with little ones. Being with them seeing new things just makes any trip that much better.

We started adventuring waaaay young and just today our oldest got excited about thru hiking and planning for our big trail here in MN. Her idea!

Marvthehamster[OP] and Cue_32 like this.
  21. Feb 23, 2023 at 11:55 AM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Deavers just showed up!!

Terndrerrr and TOYOTARIG like this.
  22. Feb 23, 2023 at 12:07 PM
    Eborseti22

Eborseti22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Offroad
    The trips with your family make me envious and excited all at the same time. I have a 19month old boy now and a little girl on the way. I look forward to trips like you have shown here. Reassuring that a guy with 4 kids can do it, so no excuses for me! Stay safe in your travels and keep sharing. Great looking rig!

23. Feb 23, 2023 at 12:16 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Get out and get after it man! The kids love it. Just think of the money spent on mods as "an investment in family bonds" :)

My wife doesnt enjoy wheeling too much, so I can fit at least one more kid in here with me. Not sure what I'll do if we have more than 5, though!

24. Feb 23, 2023 at 12:38 PM
    Eborseti22

Eborseti22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Offroad
    Haha love that! Wheeling probably more fun with the kids than her anyway! I'm up in the Northeast, so can't wait for the weather to turn and we can start getting out doors more often...look forward to seeing more from your journeys!

25. Feb 27, 2023 at 9:30 AM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Installed the new rear shocks and deaver springs this weekend. Kids got a kick out of seeing the truck dismantled a bit. It kind of blows their minds when they see something like that broken down into component parts. Suspension is awesome. Need to learn more about the bypasses and adjust them to my liking but it's a serious improvement over stock springs, shocks, AND airbags.

26. Feb 27, 2023 at 12:58 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    Coilovers and rear bump stops have arrived!

J&ATundra, JeremyTRD and TOYOTARIG like this.
  27. Mar 13, 2023 at 1:23 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    I havent had a lot of time on weekends to finish the suspension install, but I managed to make a little progress yesterday. Got the new duro bumps installed in the front and bolted on the brackets that hold the reservoirs for the front coilovers. Hoping to do UCA's and coilovers soon!

I didnt get any photos, but I also started working on the rivets that hold the rear bump stop brackets to the frame. Honestly, I thought they would be worse. I drilled the 2 horizontal rivets and popped the heads on the passenger side in under 10 minutes. I still need to drill the vertical rivets (from the bottom...on my back in the driveway) and those will probably take more effort. Once I have the rivets drilled out, I would think I just have to bash/pry the bracket off the frame. Looking forward to getting those fancy hydro bumps installed!

IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg

bulldog93, 68 RS/SS and reywcms like this.
  28. Mar 13, 2023 at 3:18 PM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR-5 CM 5.7, 2000 SR-5 AC 4.7L
    I’m amazed your kiddos dont wander off while you work. Mine required constant attention.

29. Mar 13, 2023 at 7:39 PM
    Marvthehamster

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM
    They’re free range children ;)

bulldog93 likes this.
  30. Mar 13, 2023 at 8:15 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I’m super jealous of your column shifter and 6th seat. Have you considered swapping to the 38 gallon fuel tank? There are write ups on the forum. It’s a game changer, especially if you drive out to remote areas.

Glad to see another dad taking his crew out on adventures. Sub’d!

Products Discussed in

To Top