1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Made in Texas Supressors

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Djone27, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Jun 20, 2021 at 6:02 AM
    Djone27

Djone27 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Crewmax TSS 4x4
    HID Headlights, full LEDs, TRD front and rear sway bars, CB +2s, Eibach Stage 2s, SABM w/ pro intake tube
    I've never owned a suppressor due to the NFA tax and long waiting periods. Not to get political, but a new law in Texas by passes all of this and makes a suppressor just like any other gun part. Catch is suppressor has to be stamped "made in Texas" and can't leave the state.

With that said, anyone know what (reputable) brands are made in Texas?

2. Jun 20, 2021 at 6:22 AM
    timdske

timdske Another Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fort Worth Texas.
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM SR5 4x4 Tundra TSS Offroad
    I have a feeling if this law makes it to Sept 1 without a court challenge there will be a slew of new companies making them. I'm just going to sit back and wait.

texasrho83 likes this.
  3. Jun 20, 2021 at 7:37 AM
    Djone27

Djone27 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Crewmax TSS 4x4
    HID Headlights, full LEDs, TRD front and rear sway bars, CB +2s, Eibach Stage 2s, SABM w/ pro intake tube
    Agree 100%! I was hoping to do the research so I could by one (or more) Sept 1st before some judge issues an injunction and pauses everything.

timdske[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 20, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    I thought that someone tried that in Kansas or Missouri or somewhere around there and it failed in federal court - it’s been a few years.

There was also an attempt in Montana to bypass certain FFL requirements if a buyer and the manufacturer were both in state and that also failed in federal court.

Just because something might be legal at state level doesn’t mean that it isn’t still illegal at a federal level (marijuana for example). And on firearms, the Feds have been pretty clear about sticking to and enforcing the power they do have over NFA and FFL requirements.

Not wanting to into politics any deeper than that. I wish Texas luck in this, because it may help swing further adoption. But I not gonna hold my breath, because I feel like we’ve seen this tried before more than once without success. And I’d hate to be the martyr that gets stuck in federal prison for having those Federally non-registered NFA devices.

Green Thunder, equin and timdske like this.
  5. Jun 20, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    AK 6.7PSD Replacement

AK 6.7PSD Replacement New Member

Member:
    IL, MO, KS, DE, IL, AK, SC...
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Interesting note, Missouri passed a law that state/county/municipal officers would be liable for a fine up to $50K if they support/enforce federal gun laws contrary to MO law. They’re on the side of the Constitution (unless expressly ceded to the Feds, rights are retained by the states)) so this could get sporty….

RainMan_PNW, Ely010606 and rockmup like this.
  6. Jun 20, 2021 at 1:44 PM
    rockmup

rockmup New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Greenwell Springs LA.
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Kings, 5:29's, E-lockers on 37's
    You could always build your own.

I think its awesome, the Feds shouldn't be involved in state issues. However, I wouldn't want to be the crash test dummy for it.

snivilous and RainMan_PNW like this.
  7. Jun 20, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Two of my three cans are Form 1. Great way to learn about how it works. Much faster turnaround time. And they perform as well as any commercial can I’ve played with.

8. Feb 3, 2022 at 11:35 AM
    Toney198

Toney198 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794 4X4
    texasrho83 likes this.
  9. Feb 3, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    They're also easy to make yourself....did it as a teenager, real easy.

10. Feb 3, 2022 at 12:09 PM
    Rockanock

Rockanock 21 Chevy 2500

Member:
    With the new ATF e-file wait times will be down to 90-100 days is what they are saying. The reason you cannot legally buy a “Texas Made” suppressor is because of the commerce clause. The ATF claims that if any part of the suppressor is made out of state then it is not 100% in state made. Also, even if it’s entirely made from material in Texas down to the last atom, the ATF still can claim commerce clause and they are also trying to revoke FFL licenses since they are a federal license if you are an FFL and sell a Texas Made suppressor without going through the ATF’s channels. I advise you to look at a few recent YouTube videos made on this subject from various people. Just type in Texas made Suppressor Law and you will find plenty. While it sucks to pay a 200$ tax just be glad that it still is 200$ Instead of a heck of a lot more. The only way to make suppressors not regulated, is for more people to buy them. If enough people buy them eventually it becomes the norm and also overwhelms the ATF even more with paperwork then they already are. Why do you think the wait times are getting shorter? They are tired of messing with it. The ATF said by 2023 they hope to have wait times to 30 days. Is the tax unconstitutional? Absolutely. So are background checks, FFL’s, SBR’s, SBS’s, and full auto. Not to mention handgun licenses, magazine restrictions, and approved firearm lists. Abolish the NFA!

timdske, Booney and equin like this.
  11. Feb 8, 2022 at 3:45 AM
    1eyedclyde

1eyedclyde New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    NewCastle CO
    Vehicle:
    21 SC Pearl Platinum
    Rockanock is spot on

Products Discussed in