1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LTA Malfunction And CarPlay

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Rwaters, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Jan 22, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD SR5 Crewmax
    The issue started when my radio would randomly reset while driving. Then as the radio would restart all of my dash lights would illuminate, followed by the message, LTA Malfunction See Dealer. Well, it began doing it a lot more often until I could get it into the dealer. I also got a crash detection light and one of the times it said brake malfunction.

I drop it at the dealership who immediately said, well you’re the first. So I knew they were already perplexed. Later that day I was contacted and told I could pick up my truck. They advised it’s a wireless CarPlay issue and Toyota is working with Apple to get it resolved. They tried it with droid systems and nothing happened. When they’d hook up an Apple device it would have the same issue. I’m the second ticket in the nation with this issue and the other one is 60 days old already. The Service Advisor told me not to pair my phone with the radio and it’d be ok to use my cord for direct connection. I was ok with that seeing as it’s a new vehicle and bugs will happen.

Monday is when I called and setup dropping it off. Tuesday I dropped it off and picked it up. As soon as I left the dealer my radio reset and the safety system malfunctioned. I attempted to let the Service Advisor know it happened but of course no answer. I made sure my phone was fully disconnected and I was only using the cord. For the rest of the week I took my wife’s car (fuel savings) while she was home all week. I only drove the truck a few times and the same issue occurs.

I’ve sent a message to Toyota and the dealership about the issue. Tomorrow I’ll drop it off, after I call them.

We’re a family of five and I don’t want these issues/malfunctions to cause a driving issue. I have friends that have had a malfunction and all of a sudden the vehicle is slamming on its brakes on the highway (GM) while doing highway speeds.

Long message, but I had to vent and I wanted y’all to know. I’ll update as I get more information. Hopefully if it spends the night they’ll put me in they’re loaner. It’s a 22 Lunar Rock Limited TRD
    1CFA24E9-241C-44E8-9F93-85D2BB5A0470.jpg

Woo1178, mdnorthern and Black@Blue19 like this.
  2. Jan 22, 2022 at 4:55 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    Do you use LTA? If you don’t, try turning it off by holding the button on the right side of the steering wheel. What other errors did you get?

I wouldn’t think the head unit and TSS are connected… or even talk to each other.

3. Jan 22, 2022 at 5:09 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LTA and Brake malfunction, along with the crash detection light. LTA is the most consistent.
    338C678C-8078-455F-871F-479C76308E44.jpg

I use LTA, but not lane centering. Either way, I’m not going to turn it off and just say forget about it. It’s a $50k truck and I expect everything to operate. Just like banks expect a payment.

As far as I understand and the dealership agreed, it all goes through the DCM (data communication module). I was hoping I wasn’t the first Tundra with an issue, but I am. Lexus has been running this same platform long enough, but no issues that resemble mine. The only difference between the two is we have wireless CarPlay and we’re a truck. The current belief is it’s the component used for the wireless CarPlay. I don’t believe that anymore, so we’ll see.

Henry1jg and Dagwood like this.
  4. Jan 22, 2022 at 5:16 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    I see, it may help diagnose some issues in case your radio doesn’t reset if your LTA is off bur that’s the dealers job I guess. So you’re getting a precollision and LTA malfunction and the radio is reseting and it’s connected through the DCM, it sounds like the DCM has an issue. Dealer should be able to see if there are any no communication codes between the ECUs.

5. Jan 22, 2022 at 5:35 PM
    Triton19X2

Triton19X2 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver 1794 Crewmax 4X4
    I had that "crash warning light" popup on my 2021 the other day. I plan to ask the dealer when I take it in for the next service
    upload_2022-1-22_20-35-14.jpg

=JSG= and Rwaters[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 22, 2022 at 5:51 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If I go anywhere tomorrow I’m going to turn it off just to see. The odd thing is the radio restarts then I get the malfunction. You would think they would have seen that the first time. Maybe they were so focused on CarPlay they overlooked something. Everything they did was through Toyota since they didn’t know where to begin.

7. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    GETCHOOSUM

GETCHOOSUM New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super white DC TRD sport 4x4
    Dobinsons 3/2, SCS SR8s, N-fab steps
    The temp on your dash says 30. Is it possible there was frost/snow covering your sensor?

raylo, boostedtrdpro and =JSG= like this.
  8. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:42 PM
    Triton19X2

Triton19X2 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver 1794 Crewmax 4X4
    No snow just normal frost on the truck like always. Not sure where that sensor is located to be honest

9. Jan 22, 2022 at 6:45 PM
    GETCHOOSUM

GETCHOOSUM New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super white DC TRD sport 4x4
    Dobinsons 3/2, SCS SR8s, N-fab steps
    Front grille.

EvilSteve likes this.
  10. Jan 23, 2022 at 8:22 AM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just an update. I ran to the store a few blocks away and before we left I started my truck to let it warm up a little. After I started it, I turned off LTA. While I was putting my son in the truck the Brake malfunctioned and I missed the warning. I reset the LTA, turned it off again and we left. While driving there was a different Brake malfunction and it actually stayed on. It was the parking support and it wouldn’t let me reset it. With that said, I wonder if they flashed the DCM and did a relearn of it would fix it. Kind of like restarting the computer at work.
    4F94BA73-EBAE-4B4B-95D8-EEE34D6ED6BB.jpg
    sorry for the dirty dash, it’s been too cold to clean it and I drive with the windows down a lot.

11. Jan 23, 2022 at 2:50 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I drove 30 miles and during the trip I had the brake sensor and LTA turned off. My phone was plugged in and I used Apple CarPlay with no issues. I don’t think CarPlay has anything to do with it now. I believe it’s all in the system linked to LTA and so on. When I head home tomorrow morning, I’ll hook my Bluetooth and wireless CarPlay back up and leave the two systems off and see what happens. I still don’t understand why the dealership wouldn’t spend more time with it. I do but I don’t. Oh well! I’ll keep updating

12. Jan 24, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    Just a heads up here...

The TSS Radar Sensor is located at the bottom of the front grill. The LTA "camera" sensor is at the top of the windshield facing outward, just above you rear view mirror.

upload_2022-1-24_11-19-4.jpg

13. Jan 24, 2022 at 4:57 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Dropped the truck off this morning when they opened. I never heard from dealership throughout the day, but I know they worked on it (phone alerts). We’ll see what they say, if anything, tomorrow.

EvilSteve likes this.
  14. Jan 25, 2022 at 9:14 AM
    KroppDuster

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    Let us know what shakes out when you hear from the dealership. I had this same thing happen to me this morning.
    1. Started my truck. Noticed Carplay didn't connect wirelessly. Eventually got the pop up message saying it couldn't connect wirelessly and to connect via cable.
    2. I hard reset my head unit (held the power button down until it cycles off & on again).
    3. I'm driving at this point on my morning commute with radar cruise & lane centering active going 70mph.
    4. Head unit restarts and it still didn't fix CarPlay. I keep driving.
    5. About 5 mins later, I hard reset it a second time. The instant my head unit powered off...the dash lit up with warnings & cruise immediately stops working. The warning center is cycling through 3 warnings: "LTA Malfunction - Visit Your dealer", "Parking Brake Support Malfunction - Visit Your Dealer" and "Cruise Control Malfunction - Visit Your Dealer."
    6. Funny thing though...with all of these warning lights going off...CarPlay connected wirelessly. haha.
    7. I drive down the road a couple of miles to a safe place where I could pull off the highway & turn off the truck.
    8. I wait 1 min with the truck off and turn it back on.
    9. Every warning light was off. CarPlay connected fine. Cruise & LTA worked normally again.
    10. Everything was fine for the remaining 45 miles of my commute.
    If everything runs through the DCM then there might be something to what your dealer is talking about.

If it helps...I've got a 22 SR5 TRD OR 4WD Double Cab with the 8" screen. I'm just shy of 3,000 miles on my truck. I'll hit the 5k maintenance interval in another 3-4 weeks. If it happens again, I'll mention it to my dealer when I bring it in for service. Hopefully, it's just a firmware issue with the DCM & the communications module for CarPlay.

WadeWallen and ryanwgregg like this.
  15. Jan 25, 2022 at 9:25 AM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My experience was a hair different as far occurrence, but the same issue at the end of the day. They just started working on my truck about 20 minutes ago (door notifications) so hopefully I hear something soon.

Hopefully it’s an update and we all move on. I have approximately 2300 miles on my SR5 TRD.

I’ll definitely report back

16. Jan 25, 2022 at 9:33 AM
    KroppDuster

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. I re-read through your original post. Your issue started with your head unit randomly resetting? I haven't experienced that to date. The only "resetting" that's been done has been hard resets by me. My CarPlay failed to connect a couple of times before, but hard resetting the head unit always fixed it. This was the first time that hard resetting the head unit sent all of these ancillary systems (Cruise, Parking Brake, & LTA) into a tailspin.

But, I agree...similar issue in that something wacky in the DCM seems to happen when the head unit resets.

17. Jan 25, 2022 at 10:01 AM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Talking to the shop foreman when I dropped it, he said that the head unit and dash are on separate systems. Supposedly they separated them. That doesn’t explain why when one messes up the other follows. Around 2-3 I’ll call and see what they have to say.

18. Jan 25, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Dealer called and they’re keeping my truck. They have pulled the radio and it’s hooked up to a recorder. Toyota and everyone higher than field reps are supposedly involved and their fear is it’ll be a widespread issue. They have no idea what’s wrong but they’re working diligently to resolve it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    ryanwgregg, Henry1jg and Totherion like this.
  19. Jan 25, 2022 at 11:05 AM
    KroppDuster

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    I'm glad to hear they're taking it seriously. Hopefully, Toyota puts out technical bulletins on this stuff for their service departments. My main concern is not Toyota Engineers (eventually) getting it fixed, but the initial going back & forth with my local dealership to take my issue seriously.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  20. Jan 25, 2022 at 11:29 AM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The good thing about your issue is that portion of the footwork should be done. I don’t see why you couldn’t take it to the dealership and let them know about my issue once you explain what’s going on with yours. When I pick up my loaner I can see if there is a ticket number or something your dealership can reference.

KroppDuster[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jan 25, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Member:
    Are you guys also getting the PIN screen popping up? It’s the 8” screen. I am getting connection errors as well. Also have the DAC working in 2H when it’s not supposed to.

My phone calls had my audio muted my audio this week (I could hear the caller. They could not hear me). Had to reboot the unit.

608320C5-B212-4AD6-A016-64DEA40572F8.jpg

22. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:02 PM
    KroppDuster

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    Haven't run into that one yet on my end.

23. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:04 PM
    Rwaters

Rwaters [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I didn’t run into that

24. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:08 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Member:
    My truck is going in on Friday. I will update next week.

25. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:10 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    I feel like you mentioned you linked your key to your account. Have you tried going through the whole process again?

26. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:20 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Member:
    Yes my key is linked. When I start the truck it welcomes me with my name. What has changed is the PIN screen pops up 95% of the time around the 5:15 mark on the trip screen. I have been using the App to start the truck when it’s unloaded. Since it’s going in on Friday I was going to leave it “as is” so the techs can recreate the issue. Connection errors are random.

Hoping for updates. I need to take a picture of the current version of the software. My truck was a 12/21 build.

27. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:31 PM
    CNE0207

CNE0207 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement CM Limited
    Buy a Toyota for reliability they say….hopefully we aren’t headed down the path of the big 3

MTRock and Rwaters[OP] like this.
  28. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:33 PM
    xc_tc

xc_tc New Member

Member:
    Have you tried the key fob start?

29. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:35 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Member:
    Just ran out to the truck to see software versions in the radio. There are 7 screens of “Model info” with version numbers.

Part number 86140-0C460 - mine is a 8” screen

HU SW version 1005
    CA SW version 1002
    VP SW version 1001
    GD SW version 2428
    VD SW version 1001
    OD SW version 1001
    SM SW version 1001

There is also model ID same for all screens
    SAM ID and SCOMO ID I believe specific to the vehicle

ryanwgregg likes this.
  30. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Member:
    Behaves the same as the App. I use them about 50/50 each.

Products Discussed in

To Top