1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

low rpms when starting

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by nkinney04, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Dec 2, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    nkinney04

nkinney04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    2018 limited tundra
    trd sport exhaust
    So I have a 2018 tundra and I have started to notice recently that when it starts it almost seems like its about to die because the rpms drop super low than normal and after a couple of seconds it will come back up I have not a single as to what is causing it but if someone knows please let me know.

2. Dec 2, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    Is your fuel pump on the recall list?

3. Dec 2, 2020 at 10:54 AM
    nkinney04

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    2018 limited tundra
    trd sport exhaust
    @P-Factor it was but I took in a month or 2 ago to get fixed it started doing this a week or 2 ago. 3 weeks ago I took it in because I could only like 10 cents at a time in and they fixed the one way valve that in the filling line.

4. Dec 2, 2020 at 11:11 AM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    I would take it back and let them sort it out. I assume that you are still protected with factory warranty.

5. Dec 2, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    nkinney04

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    2018 limited tundra
    trd sport exhaust
    That’s what I was think I don’t think I’m under warranty anymore I’m pretty sure it just ended just hit 60k last night but that’s what I’ll do I’m think I could be the battery but I have no clue how that would have anything to do with it have not gotten a new one since I got the truck new so it is 3 years old.

6. Dec 2, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    I would agree that you should have the battery checked. A 2018 with 60k miles....well that would be about right time for the factory battery to take a crap.

From personal experience, cars today with all their electronic systems cab act super funky when the battery starts to go. I just went through this with my wife's vehicle. All sorts of odd issues with electronic systems not working properly first. We had no idea what could be wrong since the problems varied. Then sometimes it would start, other times it was completely dead and need a jump. New battery quickly solved all the issues. Worth a check and could be a simple fix if the battery is starting to fail.

7. Dec 2, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    nkinney04

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    2018 limited tundra
    trd sport exhaust
    @frichco228 thats what I’m thinking it’s a 2018 battery because I looked at the date on it and it said 2018 and I know I haven’t put one in nor has toyota. I have also noticed that when I just have the accessory on the battery gauge is lower than normal so in 1000 miles when I go in to get an oil change I’ll have them do it then.

frichco228 likes this.
  8. Dec 5, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    ItsNickROFL

ItsNickROFL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Tundra CrewMax
    Intake, exhaust, interior
    Not on a tundra but had a similar issue on another vehicle. what worked for me was the throttle body needed to be cleaned. I disconnected the battery during the whole process that way the computer would remap them idle, cleaned throttle body. Made sure it was dry re hooked everything up and it ran like a dream again. I haven’t messed with it on a tundra but on my old Mazda if I put the car with ACC on I could have someone go inside and press the gas pedal and it would open the butterfly valve to clean it better but you can also probably just push it in with your finger if doing it alone

YardBird likes this.
  9. Dec 7, 2020 at 4:21 PM
    skylinekin

skylinekin New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra DC TRD PRO (Current), 2014 Tundra SR5 DC TRD OR (Sold)
    Regarding the battery, you do have a voltage gauge on the dashboard, see what is reads when you first get into the truck and turn the key on and then watch it when you start it. Does it only do it when you cold start or what happens right after you drive it a good 15 minutes and shut off and restart?

Products Discussed in

To Top