1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Losing Faith

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by skynyrd87, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:06 PM
    skynyrd87

skynyrd87 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I’ve literally contacted every Toyota dealer across the country that has a ‘21 Pro listed on their website and it’s either $10-$20k over MSRP, won’t sell to out of state residents or they have one in transit and won’t take a deposit on it. Not gonna lie, this sucks. Never thought trying to buy a truck would require this much work and be this disappointing. Trying to stay optimistic. Please send your positive vibes my way during this difficult journey I’m on.

Tamutundra, Cg13055 and Lake.Life24 like this.
  2. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:28 PM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    Try calling Toyota and complaining you want to buy a truck and their dealerships are trying to take advantage of hard working Americans in their time of need. I read on here today someone got lucky doing this.

3. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:35 PM
    skynyrd87

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I will be making that phone call tomorrow.

Cg13055 and ATV25 like this.
  4. Nov 2, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
  5. Nov 2, 2021 at 10:47 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    Wait out for the 2022s...
    The 2022 TRD Pro looks sweet in person..
    Much better than in pics..:thumbsup:

6. Nov 3, 2021 at 3:21 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Do you have to have the trd pro bedstamp? And stitching in the seats?
    You could get an SR5 / limited / platinum/ or sport and build a better pro. For way less than $20k over msrp.

spend $3-4k on the suspension, $2k on katskins heated and cooled leather, $650 on the pro head lights, $400 on the fogs (if you go sr5 or sport), and you’ve got a pretty stellar truck except for some trampstamp badging. Just my $.02

7. Nov 3, 2021 at 4:22 AM
    LATERAL G

LATERAL G New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 RCSB SR5 TRD Off-Road 5.7 4x4

No..

He wants a Pro

I know if I was looking for a new 2021, it be a Pro too. I don't want to do all those extra things you suggest.

I'm going to guess he may have considered your suggestion already.

Let the man have his PRO!

8. Nov 3, 2021 at 4:39 AM
    cuse93

cuse93 New Member

Member:
    My '21 CM Pro is for sale, brand new for all essential purposes: https://www.tundras.com/threads/2021-tundra-pro-crewmax-w-480-miles-for-sale-in-ny.97216/

9. Nov 3, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    Being a picky consumer has its consequences…if you can’t be patient you shouldn’t be picky.

10. Nov 3, 2021 at 4:59 AM
    GIN•OKUMA

GIN•OKUMA Can’t get to SSEM from there. RGBA1

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    26.57°
    Vehicle:
    Noun; a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods, especially on land
    Or pay the cost to be the boss :spending:

11. Nov 3, 2021 at 5:01 AM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    That too…

GIN•OKUMA[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 3, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    toyofan87

toyofan87 Beer thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Gettysburg, Penna
    Vehicle:
    80- Longbed/87-4Runner/08-Sr5 Tundra
    Toytec 2.0 Aluma 3/1.5 lift with JBA's UCA Falkens AT3 295/70/18
    Sending good karma over!!! Good luck

skynyrd87[OP] likes this.
  13. Nov 3, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    In early 1992 I made the decision that I was buying a brand new '92 Toyota Celica GT-S. After 6 months of constant asking and nagging dealers I was pretty much told "go to the Port Of Long Beach (California) and see what drives off the ship and down the ramp." It was 3 more months before I got one. In the next two years I got more darn pu$$y in that long waited for Toyota..........

Cg13055 and MoneyMan55 like this.
  14. Nov 3, 2021 at 5:33 AM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Ok - I guess I am missing something here.

OP acknowledges what they want are available- just not at the price they want to pay.

It’s pretty simple to me - pay what your comfortable with for one of the available options.

You have new ‘21s above MSRP, you have non Pro trims (same basic truck with minor variances that can be adjusted to match the Pro at a cost - many times at/near the MSRP of the Pro sticker when you add up the cost of truck and mods), you have plenty of low mileage Pros used that are no different than a new one other than the fact they are used and you have the option of other trucks/‘22 Pro.

Seriously - why do you think a dealer OWES it to you to sell a specific model at the price you want to pay - especially given you have never spent a dime with them before and aren’t local so likely won’t again unless it’s to get a better deal on your next new than you can get anywhere else ?

I mean I get when local dealers jack up their prices on everyone - but more and more you see that high sticker be adjusted when your a local with a trade. It’s more of an “out of market/cherry picker tax” - which as a local buyer I would be fine with. I mean why should I as a loyal customer at a dealer have to compete with out of market buyers for the same scarce and in demand vehicles? If there’s only a few of something - it’s only fair that locals get first preference to me - dealers have “protected” areas in their franchise agreements and they can face big backlash by advertising or chasing customers out of their area - so it’s only fair that out of market customers compensate for these issues.

Worse yet - it is entirely possible for a buyer to flip a Pro right now at a profit if they paid sticker - I was offered 2500 above sticker for mine immediately after purchase in June by Carvana when I briefly considered my options on selling. So again - the price of entry is set and someone else os willing to pay - sucks that someone is ready to pay more than you for what you really want - but those are the breaks and plenty of options out there.

It’s like complaining you want front row seats to a concert or court side to an NBA game and can’t afford them - then when people point out you can still get in the gates cheaper - stating you only want a specific seat that’s in high demand and it’s not fair as someone else was able to buy it at the price you wanted to pay - so you expect it at that same price with no markup. Of course that person either got lucky, got in a line very early or otherwise did something to secure the coveted spot. Hell - I paid 3 deposits and waited 6 months to get my Pro - of course I had no problem with the 2 dealers who didn’t sell me a Pro getting refunds (1 actually kicked me back a little as I worked with them on deals in past they flipped to another dealer on a trade and the other I passed along to a forum member who got theirs at sticker).

15. Nov 3, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    Jbehredt

Jbehredt Burgeoning member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro DC White
    I can actually smell your bed stamp envy through my screen ;).

16. Nov 3, 2021 at 6:04 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Just buy a regular tundra and upgrade the suspension and fog lights. Now you have a pro

17. Nov 3, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    I think that you will be able to find more at a decent price, and more low miles used Pros once the 2022 hits the street from trade-in for the new truck.

18. Nov 3, 2021 at 6:11 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    This! You can’t be picky in this market, you have to take what you can get or wait until you get what you want.

I bought an SR DC and built it into a “Poor mans TRD pro”, just didn’t have the fancy seats and bed stamp. And probably saved $20k doing it.

It’s also November 2021, inventories are very low now. Remember, Festivus was created when Frank Costanza couldn’t buy the doll he wanted!

50374997-101F-4E5B-BFAE-46A83EC598D0.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  19. Nov 3, 2021 at 6:19 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    I’m particularly fond of my “trampstamp”
    :D

20. Nov 3, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    skynyrd87

Member:
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I considered that route, but don’t want to devote all that time. The Pro is my only choice until I decide it’s not.

21. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:02 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Right. I'm forcing him to go this route instead of just buying all of the Pro's that are available (albeit at a premium price point). FOH.

LOL. I put my own BedStamp on the right side when I schmucked a trailer into it right after I got back from a little mall crawling.

22. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:20 AM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    How long would it take to drop in new suspension and fogs vs how long you’ve spent looking/will look/potential travel?

23. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    stewtopia

stewtopia 4RunningTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Stew (nickname)
    Masshole
    If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't even get an OR, just an SR5. The only thing left on mine stock is the wheels.

Personal opinion (obviously) is that the Pro's are such a waste of money for what you get. Can get better for less money in after market.

24. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:26 AM
    baron

baron New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Honestly, if you do not need a truck immediately, I would probably wait until the spring when the 22 Pro arrives. I'm sure the price of the 21s will fall and you can probably snag a barely used 21 from one of those people that has to have the newest model. Paying $10k over is insane.

25. Nov 3, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    Patch999

Patch999 SSEM #17 You are what you do when it counts

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bad@$$ TRD Pro
    Same
    Looks like Toyota caught on with the new model putting it on the tailgate so they can sell it to SR5 owners.

26. Nov 3, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    OH tundra

OH tundra 21 Pro lunar rock

Member:
    I think if you want a pro than just get one, if you need to pay a few extra bucks than it’s something that needs to be done. I am helping a friend locate one right now and we did find a few dealers asking sticker or a coupon thousand over but those are all pretty much sold. Last time i checked a few days ago I think less than 20 tundra pros are still available, it might show they have one online but once you call they tell you it’s sold. Keep searching and if you find the right one just jump on it. I’m sorry the people on here telling you that the prices will go down once the knew ones come out are in for a surprise, I really don’t think people understand how bad things will continue to get and the prices of current gen will get much higher. I don’t care how
    nice the new trucks will be, they will
    Never offer the same reliability as a v8 and they will also cost 5-8k more than current comparable truck. Paying 60k and getting what you want is the best option in my opinion, otherwise you will regret it once they are all gone. Good luck.

27. Nov 3, 2021 at 3:11 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    Again - I understand wanting ONLY a Pro - just understand that ONLY accepting a new Pro and ONLY at the MSRP is YOUR choice - it’s not as if the market is conspiring to keep you from buying.

Earlier this year I hooked up a member with a Pro at sticker - even more recently another member posted a Pro with upgrades at damn near sticker cost. It’s not as if they aren’t out there - it will just take a few thousand more than sticker to get one…not tens of thousands - just a few extra.

6 months ago there were plenty of dealers taking deposits still and delivering when they got the allocation. Timing was a factor here.

When you think about it - it’s still not a bad deal. Compare what you get on a “overpriced” 60k Pro vs a “discount” big 3 model that stickers at 65k and with incentives sells to you for 60k.

The difference isn’t that big - and when you factor resale into the equation it still looks better on the Pro.

There is alot of neat tech in the highest big 3 trims - especially Ram and then Ford…but you are also not touching one of their highest trims new for 60k…your firmly looking at stickers in the mid 70s and selling at high 60s. The fact Toyota is cheaper makes them more sought after and fuels the higher prices - even above MSRP. Factor in relative scarcity and it’s a sellers market.

Your choice to wait - but at the same time, the options are there and laid out for you - if you refuse to accept anything aside from a Pro you need to understand the choice was yours and not someone else’s for not giving in to your demands.

28. Nov 3, 2021 at 4:30 PM
    OH tundra

Member:
    I think you made an excellent point that a tundra pro with a market adjustment will be less than a loaded ford/Chevy/ram, might actually be cheaper than a loaded ford limited that sells for 80k. OP could possibly drive the truck for a few years and still get most of the money back, these values will not go down by much like many are expecting. The 22 is a completely new truck with nothing proven, it might be a winner but we won’t know that for 5-6 years. Look at the Tacoma, when they first came out they had so many issues, this is still a machine regardless of the manufacturer. Look at the 21 land cruiser, good luck finding one for under 120-130k. People realize this is the last of the proven power train, same thing will happen with the gx460/4runner. They will become difficult to find and very expensive. I say OP should pay the extra money and get what they want, they could own the truck for many years and the extra spent will be worth it.

29. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    OH tundra

Member:
    Now that 10k market adjustment doesn’t look so bad on the pros since pricing just came out. I say go for it OP.

30. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:28 PM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    You choose probably the worst time to buy a Tundra Pro.

Products Discussed in

To Top