1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looks like we will need a new floor

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Burdturger, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Feb 27, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    Burdturger

Burdturger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long story short our dishwasher leaked and ruined our engineered hardwood floors. We've got the green light to completely re-do our downstairs floor. The wife really wants solid hardwood (she is looking for something all natural) so it really eliminates anything that's made with fillers/epoxys. Just looking for some advice as to what to consider. I know we won't get water proofing with hardwood but I really want something durable. I came across the "janka rating system" but it doesn't seem very standardized despite it being the standard for hardness.

We did go to a local big box flooring store and both liked a particular birch hardwood. It was just under $5/sq ft. Can anyone give some guidance on picking a floor? Maybe also point to where to get a deal? Criteria is as follows: naturalness, durability, price, ability to purchase more down the road (will eventually do upstairs).

I was personally leaning toward the hardwood tile but I cant seem to get the wife on board. Bamboo floors seem very intriguing but apparently are full of glues. But I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

YardBird likes this.
  2. Feb 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    You have engineered hardwood now. Does that mean you’re on a slab , or do you have a subfloor?

3. Feb 27, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    Burdturger

Member:
    On a subfloor. And we have a really open floor plan which is why the whole bottom level needs to be redone. FWIW, I really dislike the engineered we have. Its very soft - dropping keys dents and chips it. And I beleive the layers are typically glued together in the process which is something again we want to avoid.

4. Feb 27, 2021 at 4:51 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    My brother is a life long woodworker by trade ~ he's done a lot of finish carpentry/cabinet building. He LOVES wood !
    His house has tile and carpet throughout. The high traffic areas have porcelain tile and the living room, bedrooms and office have carpeting.
    I'm dealing with the same issue here at my own home. We have tile in the kitchen and entry with carpet nearly everywhere else.
    My brother says;

"Wood and water don't mix." I'll take him at his word.

The fakey tile that looks like wood may be the compromise we agree upon at our home ~ only time will tell.

A multi-million dollar home across town was remodeled and the downstairs was done with expensive wood flooring. The refrigerator with ice maker was delivered and installed.
    Before the client even moved in the water supply to the fridge sprang a leak ~ all the flooring had to be replaced.

Just my thoughts on the matter. YMMV.

5. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:04 PM
    Burdturger

Member:
    Yep, had a similar incident. Power went out, we were out of town and freezer defrosted and buckled the engineered flooring. But from what im told solid hardwood tends to straighten back out after it dries but idk how true that is. I think we need to look into the tile but can it go on a subfloor? Does it get cold? Probably the most expensive to install i would think

YardBird[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:16 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    Oh, Yes !

Everything's a trade off. Ultimately you guys have to be happy with the project.
    Tile presents its own issues if you have a subfloor ~ tile works well if you've covering a slab like our home and my brother's home.

With a subfloor, I believe the experts will tell you to use some sort of cementitious (underlayment) product like HardieBacker ~ Cement Backerboard or something similar.
    Those two products have a similar rate of expansion and contraction making them compatible ? HardieBacker is typically used on countertops that receive ceramic tile for the same reason.
    Tile adhesive can bond easily and well to HardieBacker and similar products.

7. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:27 PM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    I put maple hardwood throughout the The main part of the main floor of my house with exceptions of the bathrooms and the kitchen. As a carpenter and home builder I would personally never put hardwood or any type of wood flooring in the kitchen. Installing tile on a subfloor is no problem at all as long as it has the backer board. when I laid my hardwood against my tile floors I made it where they all came out the exact same height so I don't even have transition strips from one to the other. This where my kitchen tile meet my dinning area. PXL_20210228_022359958.MP.jpg
    Another great addition is wood vents that the floor lays directly in to.PXL_20210228_022413912.jpg

JH5370, rockmup, Alexstundra and 5 others like this.
  8. Feb 28, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    Slayer

Slayer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Slayer
    Agreed.... anther carpenter & home builder here for 46years.....wood & water don't mix

FYI.. Birch & maple although considered a hardwood...will dent like crazy.

whatever you still decide .. Use a real flooring company with a long term great reputation... not a 'big box store'

9. Feb 28, 2021 at 5:29 AM
    Burdturger

Member:
    I appreciate the feedback. The water and wood does concern me since its what led me to this point. I will say however since I replaced the dishwasher with a bosch unit which has a built in catch for leaks with sensors for cutting off water plus i put the unit on a drip tray that its less of a concern. They also make drip trays for the fridge and I suppose we can get one of those too. Maybe this is shortsighted but any other water incident apart from a pipe bursting should be able to be contained and cleaned up. I think the water situation while cannot be completely avoided, it can be mitigated. Its obviously one of the biggest cons of having wood floors but its the most natural product out there which is high on the boss' list of needs.

YardBird likes this.
  10. Feb 28, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road
    So, I have hardwood in my main floor (I live in a Ranch) and I honestly love how it looks, but it does not tolerate much abuse as you already know. I did my finished basement floor about a year or so ago and used luxury vinyl plank and it is fabulous, takes abuse, you can sweep and mop it without issues, and it can get wet!! It's especially great if you have pets! They have the higher end stuff that looks like wood, as my friend just got it done and I honestly can't tell it isn't wood. I would seriously look into it, as it is just so much more versatile and able to take abuse, when compared to wood. He got his at Lowes. I got mine at the depot and had my floor guy put it in.

-T

11. Feb 28, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    Alexstundra

Alexstundra Not a new member

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DC Trd
    3-1 level kit with add a leaf. 295/70/18r cooper max. Spider head light tail light and third brake light, tint, badges off, ladder racks, trd pro grill, color matched hood bulge, grab handle,coach builder +2, dv8 front bumper with winch, fender flares, bed cover....
    That vents awesome

YardBird and Prostar 190[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Feb 28, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    Alexstundra

Alexstundra Not a new member

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DC Trd
    3-1 level kit with add a leaf. 295/70/18r cooper max. Spider head light tail light and third brake light, tint, badges off, ladder racks, trd pro grill, color matched hood bulge, grab handle,coach builder +2, dv8 front bumper with winch, fender flares, bed cover....
    I’m a carpenter and would not install real hardwood in my kitchen and any bathrooms. Seen so many problems arise because of leaks. Slow leaks. Spills. That being said if you are going to do so I would recommend a more narrow board. I installed boards that were 6” thick once and even glued down but roof had leaks and it was a nightmare to replace. Anyway, I love the life proof product. Very durable and waterproof. You can flood the room pretty much. And they’re a few colors I really like. Just installed 2000 sq ft of heirloom pine. That’s my favorite I’ve done so far. A lot of people like the sterling oak

13. Feb 28, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    Prostar 190

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    This is hands down the best fitting and no shrinking hardwood floor we have ever used. This is also where we get the flush wood vents.https://www.sheogaflooring.com/

Burdturger[OP] likes this.
  14. Feb 28, 2021 at 9:53 AM
    Burdturger

Member:
    awesome i will check them out. thank you

edit: straight from their website - this is what the wife appreciates (she is a microbiologist)

WHY CHOOSE HARDWOOD FLOORS?
    • Wood floors improve indoor air quality.
    • They do not harbor allergens, microorganisms, or pesticides that can be tracked in from the outside.

YardBird and Prostar 190[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Feb 28, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    Iceman89

Iceman89 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    N DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    White 20’ 1974
    None yet
    We built our house in early 2018, we were originally going to go with engineered hardwood but the wife hates the wood-tile transitions in the kitchen. She wanted wood throughout but water damage was a big concern. We ended up going with a wood look tile throughout and are pretty happy with it. It does make the house colder even with rugs. We’re in Texas so we don’t have to deal with cold very long and it helps keep it feeling nice in the summertime.

here’s what our flooring looks like. 99B3A65A-B0B1-4AE5-AC6B-6AA5B820A61A.jpg

1B0632F4-C5B0-4A32-BB33-928A0F5F0F3F.jpg

Half Assed and Burdturger[OP] like this.
  16. Feb 28, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    danz75

danz75 New Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    18' Cement SR5
    OEM LED headlights, Rigid SAE foglights, Go Rhino RB10 running boards, ARE Classic CX
    The previous owners installed hardwood floors in the kitchen, hallways and downstairs bathroom. I love wood floors but they are very unforgiving if you have animals or small kids. The floor has dents and scratches from the kids dropping, dragging and whatever else kids tend to do.

Bathroom toilet had a slow leak which i did not know and by the time it was discovered, the wood had swelled. I removed the damaged wood floor and replaced the damaged subfloor, installed backer board and tile. I wont be surprised if I'll have to replace the kitchen floor eventually due to spills and drips and dents and will definitely be either tile or LVP.

Burdturger[OP] likes this.
  17. Feb 28, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    Burdturger

Member:
    so we do have a half bath downstairs and i think we will look into at least putting tile in there. we don't have any animals (yet) so its not a huge concern. just 2 wild toddlers.

18. Feb 28, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    Burdturger

Member:
    looks great. i don't know if it will be cost effective. a buddy just droped 17k for a similar set up for about 1000 sq ft. we have at least 1600 to do.

19. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Tile is typically less expensive than solid wood and shouldn’t be anywhere near $17/sf :eek:

20. Mar 1, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    Burdturger

Member:
    yeah i dont know how/why he paid that much but it was the installed price.

21. Mar 7, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    Burdturger

Member:
    Do you have any ballpark pricing? Closest dealer to me is 3 hours away and it looks like its only available to contractors.

Prostar 190[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Mar 7, 2021 at 3:07 PM
    Prostar 190

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Let me know what you want and I'll find out what it might cost is at our dealer.

23. Mar 7, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    Burdturger

Member:
    Leaning toward solid floors, probably hickory for durability. Their grey saddle or vintage charm looks nice. I'm seeing hickory range from about $3 all they way up to $18 per sq foot. Curious where this brand falls, if you happen to find out I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

24. Mar 7, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    Prostar 190

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Any idea on the width you want?

25. Mar 7, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    Burdturger

Member:
    Probably the 5 1/4" :thumbsup:

26. Mar 7, 2021 at 5:49 PM
    Prostar 190

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    I will check it out tomorrow for you!

27. Mar 8, 2021 at 4:38 AM
    Prostar 190

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T

So my contractor price on the gray saddle in clear grade is $6.31 a square foot and The vintage charm in gray saddle is $8.88 my cost. Hope this helps and this is the price for my area of course depending on where you live that could change.

28. Mar 8, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    Burdturger

Member:
    thank you, yes it gives me a good idea. i'll probably get some samples and check locally when we get closer to purchase.

29. Mar 18, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    I’m curious what you ended up with. I installed and refinished hardwood floors for years. I have worked on all manner of jobs involving water damage. Even been back to the same house multiple times to replace the same floor due to water damage. I love the look of real wood floors but for my lifestyle and family they aren’t practical. When I bought my last house I put in a beautiful quarter sawn white oak floor. It took less than a year for it to be trashed by my dogs. I said never again. I hate carpet so in my current house that I just remodeled I went with a product called Gemcore. It’s 70% stone composite flooring. Very similar to LVP but super durable and 100% waterproof. It’s a snap together floating floor and a breeze to install. My dogs can’t scratch it.

30. Mar 18, 2021 at 4:39 PM
    Half Assed

Half Assed me ne frego

Member:
    Heartland Florida
    Vehicle:
    Reg Cab Gang
    X2 on the wood look tile.

Tons of that stuff being installed in Florida and I think it looks great. But tile is the default choice here though since most houses are slab and it keeps the house colder in the summer.

Products Discussed in

To Top