1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are you looking for pet advice?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by jaredmillerdvm, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Jan 14, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    He will be put to work with his aunt! She's turning out great so far!
    20191020_100254.jpg
    But i have another male who is older, just dont want the teenager to get all jacked up on testosterone and try challenging him. He's 13. He didnt get neutered until almost 4. But it was because my dad had him while i was away and he didnt want him breeding his female. He paid so i said it was ok.
    EFFECTS-1.jpg
    I will have them check out the dew claws as soon as possible. Normally i wouldn't neuter a male unless needed, but i worry about my older male and him getting into it when he's of age. Older dog is 13. Had him since he was born in my living room in college.
    Second question: when is the rabies parvo shots due, i just dont remember? I usually give the boosters and do the deworming myself as i am an RN and give what i can to cut down vet bills.
    In the hunting areas i am at, it is best to remove before they hit the field. They will get caught and torn off. Seen it happen to a buddies lab, I dont want it happening to mine. Its some thick nasty brush and willow trees/bushes along our rivers.

2. Jan 14, 2020 at 3:09 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    I wanted to remove the dew claws too on mine and agree to wait until they are neutered - since my dogs were rescues they neuter and spay early before we brought them home. I didn’t want put them through another surgery.

That’s the one issue with rescuing dogs, the shelters spay and neuter early (like 8 weeks old).

But my two rescues are the best freaking dogs I’ve had in a LONG time. I’ve had issues in the past with high dollar pure breds.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  3. Jan 14, 2020 at 3:24 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    He got the first EKT treatment today. The follow up and 2nd treatment will be on the 27th. Hopefully we will see a major improvement. :fingerscrossed:

4. Jan 14, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    jewsNbrews

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    :fingerscrossed:well wishes

Tundra234[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    smy

smy New Member

Member:
    My frenchie has had an ear infection. Took him to the vet and was treated with an antibiotic (i think), ear wash/cleaner, and ear drops. Been using it and his ears seemed to get better but I just started to notice the inside of his ear doesn't look the same as before. Before, the canal was visible and now it looks almost blocked... is this normal? and occur as he gets older? He had his ear infection around 1yr and he's now 2.

Also, his face folds... sometimes they'll get bald inside the folds and hair will grow back then back to bald.. is this normal?

We have a malamute.... what a difference in maintenance between the two are :rofl:

jewsNbrews likes this.
  6. Jan 14, 2020 at 5:15 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    I recommend 8, 11, and 14 weeks for the Distemper/Parvo/Lepto with the Rabies given at 14 weeks as well.

phogallen and jewsNbrews[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jan 14, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    If you're having trouble seeing the ear canal, that's not normal. I'd be concerned about a yeast infection which can cause significant canal thickening. It's also likely yeast or bacteria that's causing the hair loss in the face folds. Both are common in bulldogs. I'd have your vet check sooner than later, especially with the thickened ear canals.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  8. Jan 15, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    smy

smy New Member

Member:
    thanks for the reply. scheduling a vet visit now

9. Jan 20, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I just rescued a cat. I am a little concerned about her weight. She weighs 18 lbs. I am going to limit her food but coworker said it might just be the breed. She has the hanging down pouch thingy on her belly. I think that would still be there even if she lost weight. Does not seem to eat a lot. Even at 18 lbs she can jump up on the bed.

20200117_183647.jpg

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  10. Jan 20, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    My dog has a dime size wound on the callous on his elbow: is there something that I can treat it with? Like a spray-on band-aid product? He keeps licking it ...

Thanks!

11. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

jaredmillerdvm [OP] Mods will never end!!

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    I would agree that she is overweight. I would begin to measure out her food, depending on the diet I would said no more than 1/2-2/3 cup of food daily. My kitty is 10lbs and still has the foopa:). If you are still having getting weight off her after a few months look into a prescription weight loss diet. Good luck!!

12. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    Pics?

13. Jan 20, 2020 at 10:53 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
  14. Jan 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 SR5
    You'll likely need a cone for your pooch no matter what kind of ointment you apply.

15. Jan 20, 2020 at 4:56 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
  16. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:10 PM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    I am trying giving it to you as an attachment.

Attached Files:

17. Jan 21, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    BoerboelTundra

BoerboelTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Super White SR5
    Hello Doctors!! Thank you for all the good work you do!!

My 4 year old Boerboel has 2 skin growths. Could you please identify what they are?

Onee is on his hind leg has been there since I rescued him 3 years ago. It has not changed in size, it is brown in color, with hair growing out of it.

The other one is on his front shoulder. It is reddish in appearance, firm, and has no hair growing out of it. I noticed the second one approximately 3 months ago.

They do not seem to bother him, do not bleed, or have any drainage

Thank You In Advance

D25A5ECE-D2C9-4366-842D-B8B6D750F7F7.jpg 24C935D7-E254-450F-8F24-14CAD60E3569.jpg
    2624DC29-203C-49E8-BD90-482D7FA66A6C.jpg

jewsNbrews and Ostrich like this.
  18. Jan 21, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Tough to say. They are probably benign since they haven't increased in size or changed color. The only way to definitively know is to have them removed and sent for biopsy. There are MANY types of skin growths and it would simply be a guess from a picture. I would probably monitor them for now.

19. Jan 21, 2020 at 3:03 PM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    Just out of curiosity, why would one remove the dewclaws? We haven't ever done that with any of our four dogs.

sask3m and jewsNbrews like this.
  20. Jan 21, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    jewsNbrews

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    I do it for my hunting dogs only. Heavy/thick brush they can be caught and torn. They bleed profusely.

Family dogs I dont get them removed. My husky has them. My lab doesnt. New lab puppy will get them removed as well.

21. Jan 21, 2020 at 5:42 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Typically the rear dewclaws are removed to minimize the chance of injury like @jewsNbrews said. They often can get caught and torn. Front dewclaws are at a much lower risk of injury. Many breeders have the rear dewclaws removed when the pups are 2 days old.

NewImprovedRon and jewsNbrews like this.
  22. Jan 22, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    E-collar and hydrocortisone cream.

Kerch71 and TundraDude18[QUOTED] like this.
  23. Jan 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    I agree, neither look cancerous from the pictures. Monitor for growth or obvious changes.

24. Jan 22, 2020 at 10:33 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    Muchas gracias ...

Had to look up "E-Collar.":D

25. Jan 27, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    So we took him in today for the second treatment of the EKT. Good news....its working very well. Our vet was very happy with the outcome. She will do a 3rd treatment in 2 weeks to finish off the tube and as an extra measure. That pseudomonas is a nasty bug and it's nice to see it clearing up finally thanks to you. I can't thank you enough for the recommendation of the EKT......much better than an oblation. He is a much happier dog. :thumbsup: He had a rough day because they trimmed his nails again....which he hates.

20200127_215903.jpg

26. Jan 28, 2020 at 2:43 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    That's excellent news! Great to hear! :bananadance:
    Yeah, those nail trims can be a trying time for some!

27. Jan 28, 2020 at 4:12 AM
    PJR202

PJR202 New Member

Member:
    Toy Poodle, almost 2 years old. Started itching badly in december, a couple weeks after our groomer nearly shaved him, followed by a cold/dry snap. I believe that's what got the ball rolling. There were no food/diet changes or changes to detergents or routine. He's an inside dog but has an hour outside most days.

The itching seems to be localized to his hind quarters area (quarter panels, in automotive speak) and on each side he had licked/chewed off a patch of fur bigger than a silver dollar. We didnt notice it for quite some time and by that point it was so bad that he couldnt walk 5ft without stopping to scratch/bite.

Vet ruled out the usual suspects and gave us prednisone. It stopped the itching within a few hours. We did some lotion and kept a sweater on him instead of the lampshade and he was on the mend. About 10 days after the prednisone finished, the itching came back with a fury. Another round of prednisone and clear exam. His last dose was this morning but he's been messing with the spot on his left side again already the past couple days. The other side has remained untouched and is almost grown over.

We'll be taking him back to the vet this week I'm sure. My wife thinks his licking is drying ot back out. I've been putting lotion or baby oil on it twice a day since the second round of prednisone began.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

28. Jan 28, 2020 at 5:58 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    One of my Jack Russell's had almost the same issue and was given Prednisone as well. It worked temporarily. They switched him to Apoquel. Night and day difference!! Definitely try it.

29. Jan 28, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    PJR202

PJR202 New Member

Member:
    Thank you. I'll ask about it. We dumped that groomer because they buzzed him 3 times and claimed he had matting that couldn't be resolved. If he had any matting it was minimal. He gets pets all day every day and we can always feel it. Still...they're groomers. That's part of grooming..lol

We aren't very happy with this vet for reasons that seem to accumulate every time we go there. I'm not sure we'll even go back. Everyone I've spoken with that went there has left and they all recommend switching to the same one.

30. Jan 28, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    No problem at all. I bet you will find that the Apoquel will solve the issue. It did wonders for mine. He was pulling his hair out, had several hot spots, and constantly scratching......not any more!! :thumbsup:

PJR202[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top