1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are you looking for pet advice?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by jaredmillerdvm, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Nov 25, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    So, by the second day of treatment, the Previcox is actually working for MORE than 24 hours, we are stretching him a little each day to get him to a time that seems better to us [ideally, in the morning]. He is showing no signs of discomfort anymore, THANKFULLY.

I kept your recommendations for future reference, however.:thumbsup:

A guy I work with thought Gabapentin is easier on the kidneys than Previcox, but I thought Gabapentin wasn't a good, stand alone solution. Am I wrong?

I actually have two, good vets that we visit, but it is helpful to get feedback, none-the-less.

Thanks!

Kerch71[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Nov 25, 2019 at 3:05 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Gabapentin is easier on the kidneys. It can work by itself in some cases, but I think Previcox is better for your situation and what you're describing.

3. Nov 25, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    grannynancy

grannynancy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nancy
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD 4WD
    my dogs are working S&R dogs and a friend who is also a veterinary dentist (alas she is in another state) recommends getting full blown dental x-rays and evaluation for slab fractures with any cleaning or regularly if the dogs don't need it - also got us off of even using nylabones and deer antlers.... She says that even reading the x-rays for this kind of fracture can be tricky. Had one dog that needed a root canal on an upper canine that was broken off. Another who sheared off his front incisors running into a tree after a ball. Knew better than throwing sticks but now I throw NOTHING in the woods. FWIW, he dropped the ball with blood pouring out of his mouth and his teeth "clacking"and wanted me to throw it again. Dogs don't relate to pain the same way we do.

Kerch71[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 25, 2019 at 6:02 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Thanks, Ron! Glad to help! :hattip:

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  5. Nov 25, 2019 at 6:07 PM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    I know. It's like I woke up back in the 80's again when people actually cared about each other and business' provided a service for a fair price and were concerned about serving their community.

Muchas gracias, Veterinarians! :bowdown:

6. Nov 25, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    De nada!

TundraDude18[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 25, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    SuperWhite20

SuperWhite20 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Georgetown TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4X4
    TRD Sway bar. Deck Rails, Maxliner rear floor mat, Driver side grab handle. Dee Zee bed mat
    Read all of these questions and awesome responses. I have 31 month old Female German Shepherd. Like another poster said “chewing her feet like a ham bone”. Have had her on Apoquel, Cytopoint, Steroid shots, Flex something or other. No change in her feet. They look purple and swollen. At this point we are guessing. We have not yet done the expensive blood work up for allergies. Have tried different foods and now trying Royal Canin Rabbit. She won’t touch it. Tried to crush the kibbles and she ate maybe a cup. Three days now without eating trying to get her to start this test on her diet. My daughter is an animal sciences instructor in Waco but hasn’t had much to add. We were giving her Chicken Jerky treats like candy. She is still active and loves playing Frisbees. But seeing her not eating is tougher on me. I want to slip her something but my wife is watching me like a hawk. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you guys!

8. Nov 26, 2019 at 2:15 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    If there hasn't been any response to Apoquel or Cytopoint, then it may be a food allergy. However, I would first xray her feet to make sure there isn't something going on with the bones that is causing her discomfort. I would also place her on antibiotics and make sure she wears an E-collar to protect her feet from chewing during the antibiotic course. Dogs will give themselves chronic Staph infections if allowed to continually lick and chew their feet. If no information from xrays and no response from antibiotics, then I would try Royal Canin Ultamino food trial for 6-8 weeks. The other possibility is this could be either psychological or autoimmune. A trial with Prozac is sometimes required to break the psychological addiction of incessant licking and chewing.

9. Nov 26, 2019 at 3:11 AM
    14tundra

14tundra On Wisconsin!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Crewmax 4x4 5.7L 1G3
    We have a 7 year old lab/husky mix one eyed rescue that “hacks” a lot and sometimes throws up clear slime. Seems more frequent as of late? Like 2-3 times a week. No signs of discomfort. Eats and drinks. Runs and sleeps fine. Wife thinks we should take her in? Any thoughts? Our daughter is little and needs the house set at a warmer temp. Dog and I hate it. Dry air in house?

10. Nov 26, 2019 at 4:10 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

jaredmillerdvm [OP] Mods will never end!!

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    How long has she been hacking/when did it start? Has she been boarded or groomed recently? Is she on heartworm prevention?

11. Nov 26, 2019 at 4:13 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    To add to this I would also discontinue any treats, especially the ones with chicken in them. She will not starve herself so if you want her to eat the rabbit diet, hold out. Offer her food twice daily and only allow her to have access to it for 1-2 hours then remove it. She will eat. I would second the prozac, collar and antibiotics and Ultamino food. With food trails you cannot offers anything other than that diet. I mean nothing, no treats, table food, etc. Also changing flea/tick/heartworm prevention is strongly encouraged to something topical. I would also get her spayed if you are not planning on breeding.

12. Nov 26, 2019 at 4:37 AM
    14tundra

14tundra On Wisconsin!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Crewmax 4x4 5.7L 1G3
    Started about 3-4 weeks ago. She was groomed about 2 weeks ago. Yes on heart worm medication

13. Dec 2, 2019 at 11:13 PM
    tinnytinny

tinnytinny New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sienna
    Hi. My cat always has bad breath, and she got stomatitis 2 months ago. I took her to a veterinarian and her stomatitis was cured. But last week, it recrudesced, and more serious. The veterinarian doesn't tell me what causes the disease. My girl has been taking pills, but doesn't get better. Do you have any advice? Looking for help.

14. Dec 3, 2019 at 3:16 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Stomatitis can be caused by viral infections, autoimmune diseases and poor dental health. Genetics can also play a role, I have seen plenty of 8-12 month old kittens with horrible stomatitis and bad breath. Depending on the cause, stomatitis likely cannot be CURED only managed. Periodic dental cleanings, antibiotics and steroids are what usually work for me. I would try Veterinary labeled oral rinses, brushing teeth and keep on a dry kibble unless too painful.

15. Dec 3, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    tinnytinny

tinnytinny New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sienna
    Thank you so much, I will try your suggestion.

16. Dec 4, 2019 at 2:51 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Agree 100%. The unfortunate thing about stomatitis is that it can lead to full mouth extractions down the road if it can't be controlled. And some cases can't.

17. Dec 4, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    tinnytinny

tinnytinny New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sienna
    Yes, the veterinarian said the same thing :(

jewsNbrews likes this.
  18. Dec 5, 2019 at 1:56 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Trust me, we wish there was a better way. Seems beyond extreme to do full mouth extractions. There has got to be a better solution. My hope is that someone in the future will find an effective way to treat stomatitis medically without extractions. Just haven't found it yet.

19. Dec 5, 2019 at 4:15 AM
    grannynancy

grannynancy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nancy
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD 4WD
    I do have a question for you ..... Beau is a GSD and his gums bleed with heavy tugging and ball play which is his reward for detection work (knobby ball on string, firehose tug - I can go to softer tug but then he is more prone to rebiting than with a hard tug) . for whatever reason he is more prone to tartar than my other dog which is not typical of GSDs I have had and I do get them cleaned every few years. I wish I had started brushing his teeth as a puppy but it is one thing he does not really tolerate well (though I can dremel his nails and otherwise groom him and examine him) - next dog I get will have its mouth handled from day one.

I would like to find appropriate chews for a large dog but everywhere I look it is "no not that" - The CET chews are gone without hardly any chewing - I can get 15 minutes on a good size bully stick - hooves shatter, horns shatter -- been told not to use bones, antler, and nylabone type chews as they can cause slab fractures and I am not sure they really are that effective at cleaning the molars. A big yak chew does last for a while but once again yak chews, bully sticks kind of break the bank. I used to buy the compressed rawhide (not the rolled) but they ALL come from China and I am not so sure.....

He recently had a dental cleaning in August with a full set of x-rays that were clear.

20. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    You could try the chlorhexidine water additive. It may help decrease the speed of tartar build up. As far as chews, that's tough because most large dogs just ingest them within a matter of seconds. CETs might help in combination with the water additive even if he chews them quickly. The other possibility would be a prescription dental diet, but that can get expensive with a GSD.

21. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    grannynancy

grannynancy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nancy
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD 4WD
    Thak you - yes the water additive is where I am with my vet but it is nice to have a 2nd opinion...for whatever reason chicken based foods [with chicken as primary protein source] don't settle well with him . Typical GSD picky digestive system though the other one could eat rocks ..at least he does not have allergies and I am grateful for that.... he is thriving on the victor 24/20 [and I still wind up adding linoleic in the form of grapeseed oil -- interesitng studiy tufts I think on high fat diets for detection dogs (he is cadaver) but this is the only food I have found that keeps weight on him.

22. Dec 5, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    radon222

radon222 '21 CrewMax / '18 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax TRD OffRoad
    Stock for now
    Our 10 month old Belgian Malinois was diagnosed with Mega-Esophagus and PRAA early in life before she was turned over to a rescue. The Rescue coordinated surgical treatment of the PRAA at 4 months of age and the surgery went well. But she still suffers the effects of the Mega E. So far as long as we smear about a half can of wet food over her kibble in a puzzle bowl and for the most part that's been enough to lube things up for her. Just wondering if there any other products we can look at to help her keep the kibble down.

Otherwise she's healthy as a horse, growing like a weed, and keeps us on our toes.

23. Dec 5, 2019 at 8:10 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    So, as I mentioned before, a 57mg does of Previcox works for longer than 24 hours on our cocker spaniel with back pain.

Is it designed to release slowly over time? Would it be better to give him a lower dose every 18 hours, if possible? [to help mitigate any effect on kidneys over time]

What is the thinking on this?

Muchas gracias,

24. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:16 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Previcox isn't an extended release drug per say, but you can certainly get extended effects from its action against inflammation. I would definitely try taking it out to every 18 or even 24 hours at first, then try lowering the dose if 57mg is effective every 18-24hours. Honestly, some dogs can go every 48 hours. 57mg every 48 hours should have minimal effects on liver and kidneys, even long term.

TundraDude18[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:27 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    How often does she regurgitate? Puzzle bowl is a great idea, also place food bowl at nose level. Prokinetic drugs like metoclopramide can help the stomach empty quicker, which can decrease regurgitation. Also omeprazole can decrease gastric acid production which will also help minimize regurgitation. Unfortunately, there are no drugs that act directly on the esophagus.

26. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    radon222

radon222 '21 CrewMax / '18 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax TRD OffRoad
    Stock for now
    Thankfully she doesn't regurgitate very often and usually when she does, she does re-eats it with no problem. Its stuff that didn't get down through the esophagus the first time. We do have to make sure our other dog doesn't leave food in her bowl. I wasn't really thinking of meds per say. But more along the lines of something to pour over the kibble to help lube it. We've tried chicken broth, and she loves it, but it does work quite as well as the wet dog food.

27. Dec 5, 2019 at 10:01 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha. My only thought would be lactulose. It's used for constipation but in small amounts it may act as a lubricant in the esophagus. I don't know for sure, but it's pretty slippery stuff. Might be worth a try, just make sure it isn't enough to give her a loose stool.

28. Dec 5, 2019 at 12:11 PM
    ndbwhunter

ndbwhunter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Any advice on treating a corgie/basset with Addison's disease? Currently doing percorten injections that require a vet visit every month at $75 a pop. I asked them about getting a prescription and doing it ourselves and they said the drug was too expensive and the shelf live isn't that great. Basically saying that we'd be wasting our money since the drug would go bad before we'd use it all.

29. Dec 5, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    I have multiple clients who give the percorten inj themselves. It is expensive but the vial should have a shelf life of 2-3 years. Does she currently take prednisone daily? Are they monitoring electrolytes?

30. Dec 5, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    @ndbwhunter

To Top