1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are you looking for pet advice?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by jaredmillerdvm, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Sep 9, 2020 at 2:53 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Thanks, ordered two just now.
    Another question, I'm going to wear you out for a few days. We got a rescue on Monday. He appears to be a lab mix. The foster we got him from said he ate some Claritin Sunday night or Monday morning. She called yesterday and said she thinks 10 pills. He plays with our other dog, but seems to wear out pretty quickly. Could it still be the Claritin? He's heartworm negative.

2. Sep 9, 2020 at 3:15 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Hello doctors,
    My 5 month old pug developed a bald spot by his front left armpit (no better way to say it). It started off looking like thin hair, then became a pink bald spot, now looks a bit more red. He doesn't play with other dogs or cats or anything. He has completed his puppy shots. It looks irritated but he doesn't scratch at it at all, in fact he only ever srlcratches at his collar occasionally.

I noticed another by his rear right foot, that one is smaller and doesn't show signs of irritation or infection.

I noticed these on Sunday and brought him by the vet for a look. The vet assumes it was either scuffed up somehow or an infection. He gave a shot of Covenia and sent us home with some doubt chlorhexidine pads to wipe him with. He said if things don't go away in 7-10 days come back.

The vet mentioned that he had a hard time looking the pup over because my dog likes to fight. He said he couldn't check out his groin area. I got home and flipped him over, saw some little bumps to the left of his groin, more on his inner thigh really.

I know vets are pretty overworked and understaffed right now, but I'll probably start using a different one next time. I kind of felt like the vet wanted to sell us some product and shuffle us out.

Anyhow, does it sound like we are on the right track?

Here is the bald spot, it is where his ribs meet his elbow if that makes sense.20200909_151144.jpg

Here is the action on his inner thigh, almost looks like acne or insect bites. Maybe not related.
    20200909_151153.jpg

Tuco thanks you in advance
    20200904_140422.jpg

3. Sep 9, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road

Thanks Matt,

Running into another hiccup tonight, it now looks like she is forming an abscess, but I am not sure if its just her angry skin. The other areas are draining some gross stuff, which is stuck in her fur. I am concerned that it is an abscess because of the swelling, and she also won't let me near the area, which before she would. She has also gotten progressively more lame today, but she seemed better this am, and even wanted to eat. Tonight it has been back to hiding in the corner of my room.

Is it possible for that kind of skin infection to form an abscess? Or could it just be so angry that it has swollen up? Or could she just be turning
    into a unicorn. :eek: :(

My poor girl.... Thanks again.

-T

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  4. Sep 9, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Hey
    I honestly don't know what that much Claritin does to a dog. There is a pet poison hotline you can call. You need to Google it to find the number. It will cost around $60.00, but they have vets on staff that will answer questions about toxicity. They will also work with your primary vet to design a treatment plan if needed. It's worth the cost, and you won't find expert answers about toxicity anywhere else. They may also say that there are no long term effects from Claritin. Keep me posted!

JMB[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 9, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Yeah, it definitely sounds like an abscess, which is possible with chronic skin infection. I typically put the cat under short term anesthesia, lance it and flush it with copious amounts of Chlorhexidine. I also send them home with antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. The anesthetic I use is reversible and they wake uo quickly. Have your vet examine it and keep me posted!

6. Sep 9, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:

Ok thanks, I will call tomorrow to schedule the Ultrasound and will see if they can sedate her once and do both at the same time. Thanks, will let you know if the ultrasound shows something.

-T

7. Sep 9, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    I would treat Tuco the same way and would also add a topical steroid cream 6 He may have puppy pyoderma, which is a generalized skin infection. Finding the cause is difficult and requires so i treat the symptoms. If the treatment doesn't work, then I would consider skin scraping, cytology, and a punch biopsy to help determine the cause.

Darkness[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 9, 2020 at 7:00 PM
    JMB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    Thanks, he isn't showing any affects really, except he tires easily. Our dog can wear him out, but I think he is a tad overweight. I can't believe that a foster wouldn't follow up with something like that.

Kerch71[QUOTED] and jewsNbrews like this.
  9. Sep 10, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    I agree 100%. It's strange that they didn't follow up.

10. Sep 10, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    JMB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    I found the website you mentioned. We decided that since it's been 4 days, anything that could be fixed should have been done immediately. When we take him to the vet the first time we'll tell her about it.
    Technically, we're fostering him right now. Planning on keeping him, but he has to pass the grandkids test. We'll wait until he's been here about 2 weeks and start with the oldest, 15 and 12. A few days or a week later, we'll bring the youngest three over, 2, 5 and 7. If all goes well he's here to stay.
    As always, appreciate your time and knowledge.

11. Sep 10, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a plan. Always glad to help. :thumbsup:

NewImprovedRon and JMB[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Kerch71 likes this.
  13. Sep 14, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    Dr. Matt,

Good news, no visible cancer of my Fluffy's ultrasound, so it must be an allergy. He did say it looked like her liver was really close to her heart and that she may have a diaphragmatic hernia, but she has probably had it since birth. He wanted to do plain films, which would be another 350.00 on top of the 900 I have already spent, so I opted not to do them, as she has finally started to feel better and eat and be more active again. I did bring her back for continued vomiting last week and they gave her Sub q fluid, but didn't feel her skin was abscessed, and after the. fluid she perked up! Even if she does have a DH, that is major surgery and it's not something I would have fixed or put her through at this point. I will start her oral pred tomorrow when I get home from work, and hopefully her horrendous skin issues will resolve! My poor baby.... Thanks again for all your advice.

-T

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    NewImprovedRon and jewsNbrews like this.
  14. Sep 14, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    It all sounds great! And, in reference to the possibility of a diaphragmatic hernia - plain xrays can easily give the illusion of a DH depending on when the xray is taken in relation to the breathing, so I wouldn't stress too much. Usually takes quite a few xrays to prove. Or a really good ultrasound image. Oral pred will likely help alot with the skin. Any other questions let me know.

15. Sep 15, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    Ostrich

Ostrich One bit me once.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikki
    Marion, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Crewmax SR5 4x4
    3/1 level, black leather, raptor style grille
    Hey guys, what are your thoughts on shaving an outdoor cat? Codi is my 9yo long hair black beauty and she's been an indoor/outdoor cat her whole life, but in the last year or so she hasn't wanted to come inside. My concern is that she isn't great at cleaning her back, so she gets matted very easily. I've read that it isn't a good idea to shave a cat since their coat helps them stay cool in the summer, but I hate that she keeps getting matted.. She was about 12lbs the last time we weighed her so it's not like she's obese and can't reach, I think she's just lazy with her grooming. Any ideas?

16. Sep 15, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    I think it's fine to shave an outdoor cat, especially with fur matting. I question how much their fur keeps them cool, and to me the matting is a more important issue.

Ostrich[QUOTED] and jewsNbrews like this.
  17. Sep 19, 2020 at 5:42 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Any idea what this might be? We first noticed it on our dog's ear about a month ago and it seems to be getting a little bit bigger. Thanks in advance!

20200919_173711.jpg

18. Sep 20, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    If I had to guess, it might be a small hematoma from a cut. It might also be some type of skin tumor, perhaps a melanoma given its color. If it's growing, I would have it removed and biopsied. With some tumors, surgical resection alone is curative. With something that small, I typically use injectable anesthesia that is reversible, so they wake up quickly without having to use gas anesthesia. A biopsy is the only way to get a definitive answer. Anything else is speculative.

19. Sep 20, 2020 at 11:08 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Thanks so much for the reply. We'll definitely take him in, just wanted to have at least an idea of what it might be. Thanks again!

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  20. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    You bet! :thumbsup:

21. Oct 2, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    Hey Matt (Kerch71),

Thank you again for all your advice (Fluffy, although super pissed off about wearing the "Cone of Shame", is thankful for you too!). So it has been a REALLY LONG few weeks for both of us, the struggle was real. She ended up getting worse every day, to the point that she was so sad and weak she wasn't even fight me when giving the meds anymore! This was despite being on Prednisone 10 mg a day, plus some ointment they gave me, and eventually another round of abx... Needless to say on my THIRD visit to this vet hospital I finally said to them there won't be a fourth visit here, I will go elsewhere. They FINALLY gave her an Ecollar, which they hadn't in the beginning, and that I think has made a huge difference in her skin being able to finally heal. She was still itching like crazy despite the prednisone and the Placebo Flea treatment (she is indoors, and I checked and the vets check several times and no fleas were found or flea dirt etc.)And I finally told them please, for the love of god, give her some prescription hypoallergenic food before she dies from her presumable food allergy. She wasn't eating, she was vomiting, had diarrhea, was just hiding all day long etc. I honestly though she was going to die! She is still low energy, but much better than she was!! She has bad diarrhea from the food switch, but it seems to be moving to a more solid form at least....

Anyway, my questions are if I run out of the 50.00 for a tiny tube of ointment (anti fungal and bacterial) is there a human form I could buy and safely put on her if needed. Most of her skin is A lot better, there are just some areas that are still scabby and gross. Also will she grow her fur back? And finally when should I take the ecollar off, should I do it once all the scabbyness is gone, or wait until the fur is grown back? She is still on 10 mg of Prednisone and I plan to start weaning in a couple days.

Thanks

-T (and Fluffy)

FLUFFY******.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    C.I., Kerch71 and JMB like this.
  22. Oct 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Great news! Good for you for being persistent with the vet and having patience. Sounds to me like Fluffy turned the corner and is on the mend.
    To answer your questions: For topical treatment, you could use a mixture of Neosporin/triple antibiotic and Monistat ointment. This would cover bacterial and fungal infection.
    I would wait to remove the e-collar until the skin is no longer scabby. The hair will likely grow back, but in some instances, if the infection was bad enough, it will cause permanent scarring to the hair follicles. The hair may also grow back a different color. All you can do is continue with treatments and see what happens. :thumbsup:

23. Oct 6, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    Hi Dr. Matt (or Dr. Miller),

Sorry it's me again... My Fluffy seems to be having a (mild) hard time breathing...maybe? She is head bobbing with breathing, but not severe just enough to see it and maybe a little nasal flaring. Is head bobbing a sign of respiratory distress in cats (I am a people nurse and paramedic, and it is common to see it in babies with respiratory distress). She is still kind of blah, not as active for sure, but at least out of hiding. Could it be related to her dietary change or the prednisone? I have noticed it over the past couple of days, and it has not progressed from what I can see. She is not open mouth breathing or I would have already brought her back to the vet.. She isn't restless or having difficulty sleeping or staying put. Any suggestions? Thanks sorry for being a pain lately, but I appreciate all your input,

Thanks.

24. Oct 6, 2020 at 4:25 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    I ended up bringing her because she got a bit worse and it became really obvious she was working hard. The vet did basic X-rays and an echo on her heart and said the left ventricle is quite dilated, so he thinks that, coupled with the pred may have put her in early heart failure. She also does have a significant diaphragmatic hernia, but obviously surgery wouldn't even be an option with her age and her heart, plus I don't have the funds to do it. I don't think she would even survive it. The radiologist will read the x-rays tomorrow and the vet will call me.

He gave her some Lasix in hopes that that may offload some excess fluid, told me to immediately stop the prednisone, but she is still working hard as of now although I know it may take a couple hours for the Lasix to work. I will keep an eye on her tonight and he said not to hesitate to bring her to the ER if she gets any worse. Unfortunately I think she is just to old and sick at this point maybe to make it through this long sick period she has had. I am hoping she may show improvement tonight, only time will tell. I really thought she was turning the corner....

- A heartbroken T ( and Fluffy)

25. Oct 7, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    Looking for a flea/tick med recommendation. Do either of you have a preference? I've used Advantix II before but Seresto is a really good price through Costco.

26. Oct 7, 2020 at 3:08 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Hey there T
    Sorry to hear she is having trouble breathing. Your vet did exactly what I would have done. If she has underlying dilative cardiomyopathy, i agree that the prednisone may have made it worse. No one is to blame because she needed the prednisone, it's just unfortunate that it may have affected her heart. Hang in there, I know how rough it can be when your pet is having serious health problems.

27. Oct 7, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Hey there
    I prefer Nexgard for flea and tick control. Works very well. I've also used Advantix on my own dogs. It's also very effective. Seresto collars can be an issue because it has to contact the skin, which means it has to be really tight. They flat out won't work on dogs with long hair or thick haircoats.

ReCKzX likes this.
  28. Oct 7, 2020 at 6:31 PM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    Thank you!!

29. Oct 7, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    ReCKzX

ReCKzX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD Pro Ice Cap
    I had a similar question as well, but also heartworm medicine. Any suggestions for heartworm medicine? My 16 month old GSD has been on Nexgard and Interceptor Plus since he was 8 weeks.

30. Oct 8, 2020 at 5:24 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:

Thank you Matt.

I am in tears this AM because she is still working a bit to breath, although not as bad as it was on day one, but she can't do much because she cannot breath. Now that the prednisone has worn off she was itching her skin off basically, again, so I had to put the e-collar back on. I had gotten Rx wet food for her to she would at least have something to look forward too and to hide the pills, but I am not sure if that is what she is reacting to skin wise. Her abdomen still feels really bloated and abnormal, which the vet agreed with, stating in all X-rays and ultrasounds her stomach is very dilated and they don't know why. I literally cried this am trying to force her to take the pills and she just looked at me like why are you doing this to me. She is also walking a bit with an arched back, is that a sign her belly hurts?

I am just not sure at what point do I stop. putting my poor girl through torture, when there seems to be no end in sight for her. I will not put her through anymore procedures or tests at this point. She is 13, she has had a good life, but for the past month plus her life has been hell, and nothing else.

The vet is suppose to call today for an update, he has been excellent, he also called yesterday to check on her. I am going to have a heart to heart with him about whether it's time to let her go, or if I should continue with treatment, and if I do what will it accomplish. She has urinated 3-4 times in the last 24 hours on Lasix and Enalopril for about 36 hours.

-T

To Top