1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for advice with cab/shell boot

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by thereandbackagain, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Feb 24, 2021 at 4:57 PM
    thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Ok so I'm attempting to DIY a boot to connect my camper shell to the cab.

Reasons: 1) To take advantage of the power roll-down window on my DC, 2) help with climate control when sleeping back there, and 3) let my dog have her own big space in the seat-delete platform I built instead of cramming her in the back with me and the girlfriend.

I (think I) know the issues with boots including paint rubbing, water leakage, and the fact that everything flexes. That being said I think it'd be a cool project and I'm interested in knowing what solutions people have come up with.

I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow and am gonna look at some heavy-duty rubber... something, that I could adhere to the truck with some 3M adhesive. Or clamps.... I'm also thinking about foam (like a pool noodle), but not sure on how to weatherproof it.

I'm not too worried about paint rubbing, TBH, and I do have some clear vinyl to protect it somewhat. I definitely do not want leaks however, so any advice regarding that would be great. Some tape or silicone seal would do the trick?

Ideally, camper shell rear window (which pops out completely) would be permanently removed. But I'd still be able to roll up the cab window to prevent excessive noise/seal the cab off if needed. Any advice?

onesojourner likes this.
  2. Feb 24, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    HBTundra

HBTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 2wd
    That's how my Snug Top is set up. It was installed that way at the Snug Top factory in Long Beach. For some reason (don't quote me on this) I believe they aren't allowed, or won't install them in this manner anymore. . . . something about someone sleeping in the cab with the truck running and rear slider rolled down . . . the carbon monoxide/exhaust came up through the bed and into the cab and the persons nap turned into a 'dirt nap'.

Anyways, what I would recommend is getting the boot for your particular shell directly from the manufacturer, Leer, ARE, Snug Top, whatever brand you have. It would make things a lot easier than trying to re-invent the wheel. Even if the manufacturer of your shell doesn't make a 'boot' for your particular model, I would research what other manufacturer has one that will work. I've re-installed the boots with the 3m weatherstripping adhesive you mentioned with great success.

It's such a large gap between the shell and cab, that trying to modify something to fit around an opening & take up that much space between 2 moving objects is asking a lot. My last 4 trucks have all had shells, 2 of them leaked between the cab and shell pretty good.... the other 2, including the one I have now just lets in a few drops per rain storm, barely anything. My driveway is on an incline, I usually 'back-in' my truck, but when it's gonna rain I park the truck front first so the front of the truck is higher than the rear. Water seems to run-off a lot better that way.

Not sure if any of this helps, best of luck in whatever route you take.

3. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:02 PM
    thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Thanks for this info, it's actually quite helpful. I know boots used to be rather common before my time, but it seems as though the drawbacks (and potential deaths I suppose) have made them quite unpopular. Everywhere I've looked them up, people were complaining about the paint stripping... that's at the very bottom of my worries and quite avoidable I should think.

I will ask Leer to see what they have. I definitely have an older style of shell that I don't even think is made anymore. Which could either be a good or a bad thing, I suppose. I also founds this website: https://www.accordionboot.com/ which sells the rubber material that is probably the one used by the manufacturers. So that could be a move instead of DIY'ing it myself completely.

I'm still gonna check Home Depot though...

HBTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 8, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    Jasont

Jasont New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    05double cab
    2.5 rough country
    Did you ever come up with a solution? The accordion “compression boot looks to be what our truck would need

5. Oct 8, 2022 at 2:26 PM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    110 miles north of Los Angeles, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2001 Tundra, original owner
    Bone stock
    My dad had one on a shell some years ago, it was a factory set up and the gasket was a real soft, spongy thing. It compressed a lot and really worked great, except for the paint rubbing thing. I would try to get one from the manufacturer if you can. I don't see them much anymore though. Let us know if you can still buy them. Maybe search for camper shell gasket, there might be universal types sold. They're not high tech or a precise fit.

16CMTXED likes this.
  6. Oct 8, 2022 at 2:44 PM
    16CMTXED

16CMTXED New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CM
    Eibach Pro Sport Shocks (1.25in), RAS HD, Sumo Springs, HAWK Talon Rotors, OEM Tow Mirrows, Lund Hard Fold Tonneau, ESP Storage, Stampede Flares, Husky xAct Fit liners, General Grabber ATX 275/60R20
    It's been a long while...but I had a boot in between my 06 Dbl Cab and ATC camper top that did a great job of "closing" the large gap from the cab to camper. I do not remember the exact model/brand that I used, but it was made for a big rig style cab/sleeping quarters. It was a little pricey back then, but really good quality. Paint rub wasn't an issue either, since I still have the 06 and don't see any paint missing now. IIRC the window from the camper top was removed and the boot would install along the channel of the camper top. Maybe Google big rig style cab boots?

Products Discussed in

To Top