1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at a 2006 V8 109k miles, $10k

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by tundracj, May 25, 2020.

1. May 25, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    tundracj

tundracj [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey I’m new to the forum and to Toyota’s I come from chevys but yesterday I ended up taking a pine tree going down 95 and destroying my truck after hydroplaning, I found a 2006 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 RWD for sale for 10,700 with 109k miles. I’m looking for maintenance stuff what will need to be serviced is this specific model reliable etc? I’ve heard some stuff about timing belts needed if anyone knows anymore please let me know. The trucks is in good condition I haven’t seen it in person yet just looking for feedback any questions just ask me. Also how does the truck tow not being 4WD kind of hesitant on a boat ramp.

revtune likes this.
  2. May 25, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Bubbadog

Bubbadog New Member

Member:
    Check the undercarriage/frame for rust. Everything else can be sorted out with time.
    That is the biggest enemy of these trucks. Many first gen trucks have replacement frames.

The 4.7 liter V8 is considered very reliable. The timing belt should be replaced every 90,000 miles. It is common to replace the water pump at the same time.

Brakes have been considered a relative weak point on first gen trucks but the later years like this 2006 have improved brakes.

If I were in your shoes and this truck checks out, I would baseline all of the fluids, go through the brakes, and do a TB/WP if needed.

I have towed 5-6,000lbs with mine without any problems. Towing was with a trailer with electric brakes.

Best of luck

ktundra and revtune like this.
  3. May 25, 2020 at 10:37 AM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    If it was a 4x4, I would say that is an alright price but by no means a smoking deal. Then again, I’m a pretty cheap bastard.

At 109k, timing belt should have been done or it is overdue. Toyota recommends replacing the belt every 90k. If it hasn’t been done, expect to pay $700-$800 to have a shop do it.

Ball joints (specifically lowers) are due around the same mileage depending on how/where it was driven. You can get vin the number and go to MyToyota.com and check to see what maintenance it has had done at any certified Toyota dealership.

Inspect the trans fluid for level/quality. Whenever I buy a used vehicle, I plan on changing all fluids out (trans, diff’s, engine oil, coolant), fuel filter and air filter so I know they are all new. As others mentioned, check from frame rot as well, throughly.

4. May 25, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I agree with Southpaw, not a smoking deal. I'd look for a 4x4 unit unless you just prefer 2WD.

5. May 25, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    tundracj

tundracj [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah I really wouldn’t buy a truck without 4x4 but I mean the only time I guess I really use 4x4 would be at a boat ramp and in a pinch I could rig something up.

6. May 25, 2020 at 11:58 AM
    weadjust

weadjust New Member

Member:
    Tupelo, MS
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Limited DC
    I have a 2006 DC RWD and live on a river with a private neighborhood boat ramp. Never had a problem towing or launching boats up to 24' at our boat ramp that's usually slick and moss covered due to not much use.

revtune likes this.
  7. May 25, 2020 at 4:43 PM
    revtune

revtune New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4.7 AC 2wd
    2006 Tundra: Stock air intake 3 inch catback Magnaflow 13742 2.5 inch front lift 1.5 inch rear blocks 2014 sr5 4Runner wheels (17x7) 1.5 inch hub centric wheel spacers p285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Weathertech floor liners
    The above commenters are on point. I say it’s a good deal, if the frame is in good shape. You aren’t gonna be bargaining too much. These trucks aren’t just falling off trees. Where are you located and is the truck from the area?

Pucks18 likes this.
  8. May 25, 2020 at 7:02 PM
    tundracj

tundracj [OP] New Member

Member:
    PBC Florida yes the vehicles are all Florida trucks.

9. May 25, 2020 at 11:35 PM
    ToyotaJim

ToyotaJim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    I'll start by saying I am impressed with the Gen 1 Tundra, a truck I over looked for 2 decades. It's a perfect sized frame, nimble enough, and quite powerful and good handling.

Well 4x4 is more versatile, but also more expensive to buy and maintain. So it seems that's the key question to answer first. If the OP needs a 4x4, move on to the next truck.

If he can manage with 2WD, let's answer questions.

I'm also new to the Tundra, but familiar with the era since I own a similar generation 4Runner with same motor and similar specs. Darn good vehicle that 4Runner. I purchased 2 Tundras this month because I've wanted a truck, and found a great deal on a 4x4 and then a great deal on a 2WD.

As others mentioned, RUST is the first thing to look for. Get down on your back and look up at the entire frame, from every angle, look at the floor and everything under the truck and at the bottom of the engine. Rust cannot be fixed. I bring a flashlight and a camera with a good flash and take dozens of pictures from all angles and then review on my computer later. I've heard of bringing a small hammer and tapping on the frame to see if there's any hollow feeling spots. Also, get service records, and get a carfax report and run the Vin on stolen/loss databases. This small step will possibly spare you a lot of wasted money and regret.

As for mechanical, my familiarity with the 4Runner and research on the Tundras confirm that you want service records to know what has been done and absent that, plan on spending up to $2000 if you have a mechanic do catch up maintenance. The timing belt is the big one, about a grand. And when that's done, you may as well do about a half dozen other things like water pump, and little parts and seals and belts. Lower ball joints serviced as well. And all the transfer cases, fluids, etc. flushed and serviced.

As for price, it's market dependent but right now it's a buyers market. That partly explains my good deals. Price is going to entirely depend on condition and service records. If it's been well maintained and all records are present and everything caught up, and the truck is pristine, $10k is not an unfair price. $10k is certainly not a low price. It might be fair, or it might be high. Now, if the truck has unknown service history or has blemishes (seat, paint, bald tires, etc.) I would expect it to be closer to $7k.

Service records are really important. For instance, my 2WD came with some records that shows me that the spark plugs, coils, alternator, and battery were just replaced, and the fluids all recently serviced. That saves me five hundred bucks and peace of mind. It also shows what prior shops recommended be done, but the prior owner declined. This saves me time and I know it has some priority issues like the timing belt & water pump service and shocks and struts...

These are great trucks. If you want it go with cash. If there's a sticking point in negotiations, offer $7k cash right now or walk away. Many people, especially in tough times, can't turn down that type of cash if the truck isn't selling.

Products Discussed in

To Top