1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longtravel: Banner/HulkSmash Build- PapaSmurf & Sunnier Build a First Gen

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Sunnier, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier [OP] Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Banner/ HulkSmash, Chapter I: Gal Meets ‘Fab’ Guy Online

Hi, I’m Sunnier. Following is what could happen if you get really involved in an online truck forum.

Background:

I started taking my Inferno 3rd gen out on SoCal Shenanigan dirt runs and enjoyed the good company and the off-roading. The SoCal Shenanigans are a group with mostly new 3rd gen Tundras… some of whom have never driven off-road before. To allay fears and get people off the pavement and onto dirt, we are committed to having as much fun as we can have… without getting pinstripes on our new, pretty trucks :rolleyes: … at least while we’re still making payments.

… But my alter ego really wants to play without limits and without worrying about pinstripes. :angrygirl:

The other half of this crazy fun project is @papasmurf a.k.a Bruce. He and his buddies are NOT afraid of pinstripes, and have taken their, mostly 2nd gen Crew Max, Tundras all over SoCal and also into surrounding states, pushing the limits of these “too big” trucks. These guys pride themselves on maintaining mechanically sound, well-modded trucks that take them anywhere the trucks will physically fit, but also allow many comforts in beautiful, remote places (good food, good drink, comfortable accommodation). They are the Speed Glampers Uberfahrt a.k.a. SGU.

Intro to the SoCal Shenanigans:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/wel...nd-tundra2sedona-cast-your-vote-thread.19581/

and most recently, the Shenanigans are taking place here:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/off...-trail-run-it-show.43902/page-15#post-1138934

Intro to the SGU:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/sgu-the-speed-glampers-uberfahrt.22323/

but they weigh in when important stuff gets discussed,example:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/drop-bracket-mid-travel.31134/

And here is Bruce's build thread for his 2nd gen Tundra:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/papasmurfs-07-4x4-lt-expedition-build.9817/

Despite the glee I’ve experienced running my 3rd gen inferno 2WD on dirt, there came a day I had to make a sensible decision and leave my truck parked while I passenger’d up with someone else for the run up to Calcite Mine during an Anza-Borrego/ Ocatillo trip. I very much appreciated being welcomed aboard so I didn’t miss out, but dang!,
    I’d always rather drive. :burnrubber:

So… I bought a 1st gen 4x4 last year in October with the idea that I need a play truck, so I can keep pushing boundaries, learning as I go, and… not worry about pinstripes. :anonymous:. It doesn’t reflect the exact order of events, but here’s a thread I posted not too long after buying the truck, and before starting the actual build:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/sunnier-finally-got-4x4-need-help-building-it.33773/

I got a lot out of great ideas from many forum buddies… and… I asked for suggestions for what to name my new green truck and my forum BFF, @Mr Comic Book Hero himself suggested The Hulk. But he envisioned an angry green truck, and I’m hoping for a more peaceful demeanor but with great :muscleflexing: when needed. A variation made the win: “Banner/ HulkSmash”, (i.e. the difference between 2WD/ 4x4 engaged), personalized license plate to follow.

Anyway, although we hadn’t yet met in Real Life, somehow Bruce and I started texting about that I just got a 1st gen to build, and him wanting to build one.

[​IMG]

Seriously, it was that easy a start. He promised to spec’ out options-- both mid- and long-travel-- for me to choose, but due to the SGU Turkey run we didn’t work out the purchase list until after the Black Friday sales were over. I only mention this to explain ‘what took so long’ to get started. Basically, we were excited to think we were sneaking in our purchases during the off-season for off-road racing but, even though we missed taking advantage of Black Friday discounts, we did not miss being in line behind every other customer that didn’t miss those sales. TIP: Call this the first ‘what I’ve learned during this process’ tip: if your build isn’t an impulsive decision like this was, get your plans set and parts list ready before Black Friday sales to save both money and time. @fisherman951 :boink:. I’ve closely watched @Casper421 's build, and he capitalized on getting premium parts for his truck by rocking the Black Friday sales. :drevil:

FWIW, I’m certain this build happened because we were spontaneous about jumping in, and both believed the timing was great because we committed back in December when we both had open calendars for 3 months…. Good irony because we both jumped in thinking we could get the build well underway before mid-March, after which both of us were previously committed months in advance to other projects….

Disclaimer: Yes, most people post build threads nearer the start of work. We hit big delays early on, first waiting for parts, then due to unusual heavy rain and those long-ago-made-plans I mentioned. I decided we might as well wait ‘til we could show progress—then time really compressed as our spouses supported us as we’ve spent most days off work for 6 weeks hanging out in his driveway, me watching and learning while he builds the truck.

Bruce is the brains and creative force behind this build; I’m the financer (i.e. got a personal loan and keep my part of the bargain, which is to buy parts and materials as needed for Bruce to mod the truck. He welds, fabricates, and has years of experience doing auto mechanics. I’m pretty sure I’m winning on this exchange!

Anyway, next up are some pretty pictures to make up for all these words.

PLEASE GIVE ME A FEW TO GET THE PICS UP; THIS BEHIND THE SCENES ALL-AT-ONCE THREAD LAUNCH CAN BE TRICKY!!

First up are the significant component parts, then I’ll start posting pics of deconstruction and re-rebuild, and I’ll edit to add more photos of each stage showing more detail or steps-in-each-process, as time permits.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:

PARTS LIST:

Description: Part #:

MCM Fab & Design:

MCM Fab & Design '00 - 06 Tundra Rear Cantilever Kit

https://stores.mcmfablv.com/00-06-tundra-rear-cantilever-kit/

** Add info on assorted extras including extended brake lines....** ** Everything listed above was purchased from Matt at MCM Fab & Design. Although the description indicates it is to be installed with ADS coilovers, we used King. My understanding is, you may use the shocks you prefer.

Deaver Suspension:

Deaver Leaf Springs, extra leafs for additional weight in the bed C27 – HD

https://deaverspring.com/

** I calculated exact weight of everything I would carry for off-road camping, then called Jeff at Deaver. This link is not to the exact product I ordered, because it is not a stock item. Call and tell them what you plan to do with your truck, and how much rear axle weight you’ll have.

KartTek Off-Road:

High Clearance U-Bolt Relocation Plates 2.5” Wide Spring – Pair

https://www.kartek.com/parts/high-clearence-u-bolt-relocation-plates-25-wide-spring-pair.html

Kartek Off-Road Universal Weld-On Axle Leaf Spring Plates w/ Multi Leaf Center Pin

and Radius Edge

https://www.kartek.com/parts/kartek...th-multi-leaf-center-pin-and-radius-edge.html

Down South Motorsports:

Total Chaos Suspension, ’00-03 Toyota Tundra +3.5” Long Travel Kit TCS 97000BK

(King or Fox shocks)

Total Chaos Suspension, 4340 Extended Axles +3.5”, ’00-03 Toyota Tundra TCS 97300

https://www.chaosfab.com/accessories/2000-2006-Tundra-Long-Travel-Axles-97300

Total Chaos Fabrication, ’96-04 Tacoma Spindle Gusset (pair) TCS 59697

https://www.chaosfab.com/accessories/1996-2004-Tacoma-Weld-on-Spindle-Gussets-59697

Total Chaos Fabrication, ’00-03 Toyota Tundra Weld-on Upper Coil Tower Gussets TCS 59652

https://www.chaosfab.com/accessories/2000-2006-Tundra-Weld-on-Coil-Tower-Gussets-59652

King 2.5” Pre-Runner Series

Total Chaos LT Spec Coilover w/ Remote Resi Single Spring Rate Over Top Cap King TCS5151-03

King 2.5 Pre-Runner Series, 10” Travel “3” Tube Bypass w/ Hose Remote

“Left and Right” side King PR 2510-BP3H

https://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-...e-remote-reservoir-10-travel-pr2510-bp3h.html

** Everything listed above was purchased through Down South Motorsports (even though some of the links go elsewhere).

ADVanced Fiberglass Concepts:

Front Fenders, 4” Flare, 3” Rise (one of two available options)

https://www.advfiberglass.com/collections/toyota/products/2000-2006-toyota-tundra-fenders

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    papasmurf likes this.
  3. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banner/ HulkSmash, Chapter II: Women Really Like Jewelry!

SO… this is a truck forum and therefore, it probably won’t shock anyone to know I care less about dressing up or owning pretty jewelry than, say, driving off-road or gazing at pretty new suspension parts. Blue is not my favourite colour… not even Tiffany blue… so I was more than a little surprised by how much pleasure I get out of these pretty King shocks; leaf pack by Deaver; and cantilever rear set-up by Matt at MCM is awesome. These parts even feel nice to touch!

I may not wear a lot of jewelry, but Banner/ HulkSmash is all turned out!! Here is the jewelry box:
    IMG_6085.jpg IMG_6156.jpg IMG_6154.jpg IMG_6143.jpgIMG_6182.jpg

4. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banner/ HulkSmash, Chapter IV: Naked & Afraid

I’d watched Bruce install mid-travel on a 3rd gen Tundra just before we started tearing down this 1st gen so I thought I had an idea about what was entailed—wrong! Here’s how much was removed from the 3rd gen before the new suspension parts were added:
    Steves Front.jpg

Here’s what was removed in preparation for long travel (front):

IMG_6219.jpg IMG_6223.jpg IMG_6224.jpg IMG_6225.jpg IMG_6227.jpg IMG_6228.jpg IMG_6229.jpg IMG_6230.jpg
    Note the adequate for street but not for SGU Shenanigans coil bucket:
    IMG_6942.jpg
    Yeah... DON'T worry!
    IMG_6231.jpg IMG_6232.jpg IMG_6235.jpg IMG_6263.jpg
    Removing steering rack:IMG_6265.jpg IMG_6268.jpg
    IMG_6274.jpg
    Test fitting with upper control arms for new heavy-duty coil buckets:
    IMG_6277.jpg IMG_6294.jpg IMG_6296.jpg IMG_6297.jpg IMG_6298.jpg IMG_6299.jpg IMG_6302.jpg IMG_6303.jpg IMG_6305.jpg IMG_6307.jpg IMG_6319.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  5. Apr 16, 2019 at 3:43 PM
    papasmurf

papasmurf Savage Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
  6. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Chapter 5: Growing Commitment-- Saying Goodbye to the Exes (Free Take-Offs):

Anyone in SoCal need free take-off from a 2002 Tundra? PM me and I'll respond after T2S. No written descriptions until I return from T2S (no time), but that means the bots won't tell non-members. Here's pics of what appears usable:

Edit:
    I donated everything that wasn't claimed to local parts yard near me. Didn't care about money, just wanted to minimize waste.

I may re designate this post... or to keep the chapter title, I may post up future trade-outs. I have OEM wheels to sell....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  7. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Reserved. Experience had taught me I must add a photo to reserve more than one post in a row.IMG_6864.jpg

8. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I know you're right, Joon!

9. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reminder, and opportunities to respond (to hold places)!

joonbug[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:12 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    You too, Buddy! Oh, wait; look everyone, it's The Fab Guy I Met Online, himself!

Also held me another spot to post. This should do it. Well. Maybe one more....

11. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:12 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Reserved.

papasmurf and BestGen like this.
  12. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Reserved. Willing to Rent :D

13. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reminders fellas! I've outlined this "story" into "chapters" and I think I can fit it up above.

For anyone else checking in and thinking this is lame holding spots, I remember @joonbug had to ask mods to get rid of a ton of extraneous posts on his build thread. So the high number of posts to his thread occurred AFTER that cull.

Having said that, @papasmurf and I are both social types so, from hereafter, I'll make additions and edits above, and y'all can play and go sideways below. It'll be just like our other threads, and just like Bruce's driveway. All 'o' y'-all are welcome here.

Hahaha! I hope it doesn't get locked. :rolleyes:Send in the clowns.... :thumbsup:

jcrob33, GODZILLA, papasmurf and 4 others like this.
  14. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Clown reporting for duty.

15. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    damn that's gonna be nice

papasmurf, Pinay and Sunnier[OP] like this.
  16. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:51 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!

papasmurf, Pinay, joonbug and 3 others like this.
  17. Apr 16, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    BestGen

BestGen Free Kyle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Haunted Turnbull Canyon CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 RCLB, 2UZ-FE, 4wd / '88 4RNR XTE 22RE/W56/RF1A
    Fabtech 2.5" coilovers, BFG KO2 34/10.5/17, 17x7.5 TE wheels, add-a-leaves, 4.56 gears, Rhino-lined
    I don't remember there being a vote on the name... :notsure:

P.S. Nice build! :headbang:

18. Apr 16, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC

Pinay, Sunnier[OP] and joonbug like this.
  19. Apr 16, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for chiming in, Guys! Parties are only fun when people show up. :cheers::popcorn::drunk:

20. Apr 16, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
  21. Apr 16, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    The only way to win, is to play. Marty chimed in right away with a plausible suggestion and, because my son also liked it, it was an instant winner!

papasmurf, Pinay and BestGen[QUOTED] like this.
  22. Apr 16, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    BestGen

BestGen Free Kyle!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Haunted Turnbull Canyon CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 RCLB, 2UZ-FE, 4wd / '88 4RNR XTE 22RE/W56/RF1A
    Fabtech 2.5" coilovers, BFG KO2 34/10.5/17, 17x7.5 TE wheels, add-a-leaves, 4.56 gears, Rhino-lined
    According to the nuts over on TW, the vehicle must be named by other members. Isn't that right Mike @eccracer104 And it's usually not flattering! :eek2:

23. Apr 16, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC
    Start a thread with “Longtravel”, they will come...in droves.

24. Apr 16, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    24 posts in 118 minutes. Cooking with gas here! :smokertransformer:

papasmurf and Sunnier[OP] like this.
  25. Apr 16, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    Jobthegiant

Jobthegiant Super extra premium member delux

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 2WD basically stock
    TRD wheels, Fog lights, Bed Liner, Under seat storage, Lots of scratches and rub marks
    Very jealous! I love my 2wd tow truck/economical commuter, but I wish I was part of the 4wd glamping crue

26. Apr 16, 2019 at 6:31 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    This should be a good one to see!

Pinay, Sunnier[OP] and papasmurf like this.
  27. Apr 16, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    5.7TRDProm

5.7TRDProm What's bothering you?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dara
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra SR5
    All stock-ish. Powdercoated blue suspension.
  28. Apr 16, 2019 at 6:45 PM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    I’ll sell my early post space for a nominal fee lol

29. Apr 16, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    Plus my name is Bruce and when I go savage I hulk smash! Aka savage mode! So it’s very fitting! Lol

30. Apr 16, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    Spolar

Spolar Going broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Seal Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5
    It'd be nice if Bruce would move closer to me so I could actually take advantage of having a friend that does fab work

Products Discussed in

To Top