1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

local Toyota dealerships greedy for sales?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Henry2019, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Sep 5, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    Henry2019

Henry2019 [OP] N/A

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM CEMENT GREY
    3/1 Lift Kit 20X9 Fuel Assaults +1 295/60/R20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
    I was using Toyota’s inventory finder on their website to hawk down a specific Tundra i wanted. It told me that i had to contact my local dealership and have them look for me. I have contacted multiple local dealerships for them to tell me that they can’t see the location of other trucks which i feel is bs. They try to ask me if i want to order one with them or if they can allocate one and have it brought down. I just find that greedy and no fun to the buyers that really want to seek a particular truck without paying an absurd price amount.

2. Sep 5, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    Dorks68

Dorks68 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2010 Rock Warrior
    Same thing happening with travel trailers currently. Multiple dealerships told me that I could buy one with a down payment and then inspect it after it was delivered before final documents or some bs

3. Sep 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I am not surprised. No dealer, or any other businessman, will be your personal finding service for free. They expect a payout for their trouble. That's why they are in business, and that's how the laissez faire world turns.

Try CarGurus.com. Search new cars, nationwide, put in your zip and your specs. All dealers are not members, but many are.

Also check out this thread by @Tundra234 . He used a combination of Toyota.com, specs, VIN etc to locate the dealer the truck was being delivered to, and bought it!

https://www.tundras.com/threads/toyota-com-inventory-search-help.73628/

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    omgboost, Trooper2 and Black Wolf like this.
  4. Sep 6, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Is it really cheaper to try to get your dealer to trade for a vehicle from another dealer than to just order from the factory? It wasn't when I was buying but I also didn't get anything unique.

5. Sep 6, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Dealers are not trading vehicles between dealerships due to the demand. I just went through that mess. They tell you that they will try so that they get you in and tell you that they "werent able to get it, but we have this truck here".

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  6. Sep 6, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Salesman and managers can only see the specs and availability of a vehicle. In their system they can see if it has been sold or pre-sold usually. Only the Inventory managers have access to see where a vehicle is being delivered.

7. Sep 6, 2020 at 6:59 AM
    ohreary

ohreary Party!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum
    I purchased my truck while it was in transit to the dealership. My local dealership was only willing to apply the $1000 Toyota rebate at the time and I felt I could do better.
    I went home and called five to six of the other dealers in my state. Each dealer quoted me on the price of the exact same truck (I was emailed docs with the VIN included). One of the higher volume dealers a couple of hours away from me ended up selling me the truck for $51,608, down from the msrp of $56,547.
    Negotiating and purchasing is a lot different with the pandemic going on, but I think dealers are much more willing to negotiate over the phone. I would call around and see if you can find a dealer willing to provide a larger discount.

8. Sep 6, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    Try to work with a fleet sales department or even Costco. I found in the past that ones I worked with were able to get me a good deal without any haggling.

9. Sep 6, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    Henry2019

Henry2019 [OP] N/A

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM CEMENT GREY
    3/1 Lift Kit 20X9 Fuel Assaults +1 295/60/R20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
    Ordering vehicles and dealer trading will generally cost more than just selecting a vehicle that is already there on-site.

glowblue likes this.
  10. Sep 6, 2020 at 2:36 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    The key in your case was that you "didn't get anything unique". Sales managers try to order vehicles equipped the way MOST people in their sales area want. If you want a truck package in low demand, a smart dealer won't have it in stock.

In normal times, if Toyota is like GM, the dealer would have to special order it for you using one of his "allocations", or try to locate one at another dealer. If he has an allocation available, ordering it would likely be his first choice. He negotiates his price with you, collects a deposit, locks the deal, places the order, and waits for delivery. If he trades from another dealer, he will have to pay a premium on top of Toyota's price. And, I doubt any dealer can order a 2020 now. As @Tundra234 says, I expect that trading from another dealer these days requires a big premium because of low availability.

In normal times, ordering a vehicle would have little impact on selling price if the dealer still has an available "allocation". In fact, in normal times, your best deal would be to order a vehicle, and sell your old car yourself. The dealer knows his cost to the penny, and he knows that he will have all his money before Toyota invoices him for the vehicle. Further, he will not have to pay interest on money borrowed from Toyota (floorspace) to finance keeping the vehicle on his lot for an indeterminate time.

Each dealer was probably allowed so many Tundra allocations in 2020 MY depending on sales volume. When the pandemic shutdown happened, I expect allocations for all dealers were curtailed. By this time of the model year, there wouldn't be an excess of choices anyway, but now, dealers are bone dry and trying to maximize their profits.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  11. Sep 6, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them

Yep...pretty much covers it.

12. Sep 6, 2020 at 3:14 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    What can you really get on a Tundra that's unique, though? They don't really have any options. Pick your trim level and colour. If you want any accessories, it's cheaper to buy them from Roman and install them yourself.

It's not like GM where you have to hunt for a truck that doesn't have a 3.08 rear axle ratio.

Henry2019[OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 6, 2020 at 7:49 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Is TRD Pro a trim level? A dealer will not want to approach the end of the model year with a lot full of 1794s and Special Editions. He'll probably want to close out the model year with a few white, stripped SR and SR5 left-overs.

Like I said, dealers order what they think will sell. If there are nothing but 3.08 axles on Chevy lots out there, it's because dealers believe their customer base wants gas mileage, not towing capacity. Toyota doesn't let them make that mistake.

14. Sep 6, 2020 at 8:55 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Yeah, good point. When I was looking at leftover 2019 Tundras, all the dealerships had left were Platinums. Even at $10k off, they were still $10k more than my 2020 SR5. Any dealership that wasn't unable to unload those will be wary about buying too many Platinums going forward.

15. Sep 7, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    Dragracer_Art

Dragracer_Art New Member

Member:
    Dawsonville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax 4x4
    5100's/+2.5" Eibachs, 18x9 +25 Methods,37x12.5 BFG KM3's
    Ive found that the dealers all have their own website specific to that dealership.
    Usually you can browse the site to get a feel for what they actually have on the lot... but ive found the best way to shop is the old fashioned way. Drive to the dealer and walk the lot. If you stumble upon a truck you like, they will typically bend over backwards to make a deal and keep you from leaving.
    This is typically when I feel I have the most leverage and has resulted in 4 new vehicle deals in the last 4 years... 3 of which were at the same dealership... which brings another thing to mind. Loyalty.
    When they see you have purchased from them a couple times in the past and have good credit, they will make damn sure they put a deal together you can accept.

Products Discussed in

To Top