1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lightbars for on highway use

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by swede78, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Apr 29, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    swede78

swede78 [OP] Not so new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    westminster co
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra platinum mgm crew max
    Nothing yet
    Specifically for the colorado folks,What size lightbar,wattage/lumens is legal for ON HIGHWAY use in colorado, looking at a 7in 36 watt amber/white bar 1800 lumens I think?

2. Apr 29, 2016 at 4:18 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Thats like driving with your high-beams on, but more powerful. Light bars are made for off-road use only, not daily driving.

ColoradoTJ, zcarpenter92 and rons23 like this.
  3. Apr 30, 2016 at 10:59 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. Apr 30, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    swede78

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    westminster co
    Vehicle:
    Nothing yet
    just want a good light for adverse driving conditions, it can be pretty rough driving, to and from work on the north side of the airport

5. Jun 15, 2016 at 10:31 AM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM
    This thread got derailed quick as shit... TO THE OP, man I would hate to be around someone using a light bar for daily use. I'm hesitant to even purchase the led fog lights rigid sells. But anyway, I agree with Rowdy Ron if you are going to get one.

6. Jun 15, 2016 at 10:53 AM
    PlatinumPro

PlatinumPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 PlatinumPro Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112+5100s, Rigid Lighting, Fuel 20x9 Bronze Blitz
    i've read about a few guys lately that have been getting flashed running the SAE rigid fogs which to me makes little sense to go with them to me. i replaced my stockers with D2's and they rock. never could be used for city/highway though.

7. Jun 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Hi Swede, I only use my off road lights , well, off road. For everybody: If you want to be sure, go down to your local LEO station. Ask them if they have a copy of your states regs on lighting. After all they are the ones going to pull you over. Swede, Sean may know about Colorado regs. LEO's here seem to be reasonable for the most part when it comes to 4 wheelers.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    zcarpenter92 and T-Rex266 like this.
  8. Jun 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM
    I'm glad you told me that, because my finger has been hovering on the buy button many times. I use my fogs way to much, however, i turn them on because I they the truck looks better with all of the lights on, personal preference. Not because they help. Stock fogs are basically useless. I just cant bring myself to be that asshole with super bright lights on driving down the road.

9. Jun 15, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    jfrd30

jfrd30 Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of My Way

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    No....It's not illegal if they're within reason, but if they're too intense you will get pulled over. It is illegal to have under body lights on while driving.

10. Jun 15, 2016 at 1:47 PM
    jfrd30

jfrd30 Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of My Way

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    Here is the Florida State Statute on driving lamps.

FSS 316.233 Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.
    (4) AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS.
    —Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of s. 316.237 shall apply to any combination of headlamps and auxiliary driving lamps.

The provisions of 316.237 mandate the minimum and maximum distance the light beams must illuminate and other portions of the statute talk about colors and flashing etc., etc.
    You can view the entire statute on line at: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/0316.html

11. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I meant without using them. If I want to mount a giant light on my truck, but use it on my farm and not on the road, I should be able to. I understand blinding people. I've got respect for the law and the fact they have to enforce laws. It's some the dumb government policies that surprise me sometimes.

Of course I see people driving down the road with 40 inch light bars turned on all the time. So I guess there's the reason big brother is baby sitting us.

12. Jun 15, 2016 at 7:54 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    The thing is, most fogs are legal. I bought PIAA yellow fogs. They work.

13. Jun 16, 2016 at 12:27 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Can i bring it back on topic? The way ive always understood cops mindsets on lights is this:
    -no light that is mounted above your headlights can ever be turned on while driving a public road.
    - If your on the highway and its dark out with plenty of people around u, there is no reason to have light bars on.
    - in my own opinon, it really depends on how you have it aimed which could change the cops opinion on you.
    I have my 40" mounted in my lower bumper. Its not aimed high at all. If anything a touch further than my low beams. I have ran it a few times now while towing the sleds through winter storms. I havent had any grief at all while running it in adverse weather conditions.
    My last trip out, i came back home at night. I was on my way from rabbit ears to i70, it was about 8 oclock at night and it was a down right blizzard, towing a 22' trailer. I had my hid healights on, yellow fogs, and light bar on just to see where i was going at 40 mph or so. I did get flashed a couple times from on coming vehicles but i think the snow had alot to do with it. I tried to flip the light bar off when a car came my way. But again, i dont think a cop would have a problem with me using my lights in the high country like that while towing. Just gotta be smart

Black Wolf and jfrd30 like this.
  14. Jun 18, 2016 at 10:41 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    @LOTSOFTOYS was bringing the thread back on topic to the OP. He was not talking to you Srisaacks. You just got your self a temp ban until the mods have time to talk it over. Might be more.
    Over react much?

mdavis likes this.
  15. Jun 19, 2016 at 5:53 PM
    swede78

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    westminster co
    Vehicle:
    Nothing yet
    @LOTSOFTOYS, that is what i want to use the light bar for if i ever get them, not driving with them all the time. boy this thread really went to shit.

16. Jun 20, 2016 at 8:47 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Yea the thread fell apart. Lead to a ban. Sean cleaned it up a little.

17. Jun 20, 2016 at 9:11 AM
    kemosabee

kemosabee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pagosa Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I have multiple cube lights on my truck, winter time driving for me (work related) is in the dark and having multiple flavors of lights helps big time. I dont keep all of them on while vehicles pass me, never get flashed either. If there were more folks on the road I probably wouldn't run them as often. I also live where there are not lots of traffic, but them damn deer and elk are sure nice when you see them.

Products Discussed in

To Top