1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift Opinions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BCSpazer, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dec 4, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    All -

I have a brand new 2020 Tundra that I am wanting to moderately lift. I have read and absorbed as much as possible from the forum to come up with what I think is a reasonable solution that will be long lasting and durable. This also preserves most of the rake @ 2.6" nose down (as opposed to the factory 3.25" nose down) so the TSS system doesn't have a fit from being "leveled". Keep in mind I am a hunter who regularly goes off-road in some not so friendly places road wise. Give your opinions about what I have put together!

1. Bilstein 6112s up front set at 1.9"
    2. SPC UCAs
    3. Coachbuilder .5" shims (2 driver side, 1 passenger side)
    4. Icon RXT full leaf pack set at 1.75" lift (as it is shipped)
    5. Bilstein 5160s on the rear
    6. Rear carrier bearing drop kit
    7. Coachbuilder brake line/ ABS line extension brackets
    8. SCS SR8 18X9 +25 wheels
    9. 275/70R18 BFG K02s

-BC

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2019 at 9:13 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Any plans to tow anything? Maybe throw in a CB+1 shackle and bushings? Sounds awesome.

3. Dec 4, 2019 at 9:26 PM
    KnuckleHD

KnuckleHD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM Limited- Cement
    Welcome and congrats on the new truck! Sounds like you’re well on your way to a nice set-up. The leaf pack seems a little overkill, unless you plan on running fully loaded all the time (topper, RTT, gear etc) in which case that would be wise. You could probably get away without the drop kits but they are cheap and easy.
    I ended up getting a good deal on barely used pro suspension, added CB+2s in the back and called it a day :)
    Sooo many options

4. Dec 4, 2019 at 9:40 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Welcome to the site.

Don't need #3.

#5 is only for 1" lifts, so make sure you get a longer shock.

Other than that, sounds like a solid build.

Inquiringone likes this.
  5. Dec 5, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Thanks for the welcome! I came over here from TW after I upgraded - I outgrew the Taco after three years.

As far as #3 - it seems to be somewhat contested whether it is needed at this lift height; I figured at $40 it was good insurance - unless it would cause problems.

I saw that #5 was up to a 1.5" lift (only .25" short) I figured it would be fine... do you have a recommendation on a longer shock?

-BC

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:07 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    For 2.5” lift, I wouldn’t even bother with the diff drop. They cause more issues than they help in my opinion.

As for the rear, you’re 100% correct. I wouldn’t worry about the .25” unless you really off toad hard. I really liked my 5160’s on my Tundra.

BCSpazer[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Good deal!

Is there anything missing that I may need? Shims, bump stops etc.

-BC

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:23 PM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    The 6112s come with washers to shim the bump stops. You could throw a shim in the driver’s side if it is sitting lower than the passenger. I used 1 CB shim on the driver’s side and I’m now within 1/8” or so of level.

BCSpazer[OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:24 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    No plans on towing on a regular basis, but it could happen...

-BC

10. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Do the 2020's lean like all the others? My Taco had a slight lean, but it never bothered me much... but the larger truck may show it more!

-BC

11. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    The lean is significant on most with the driver, battery, and 38 gallon tank all on the same side. Mine leaned about 3/4” without me in the truck before adding the shim.

12. Dec 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Added to the list :thumbsup:

13. Dec 5, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Adam covered it perfectly.

14. Dec 5, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Only thing I am a little concerned about is the tires - I don't want ANY rubbing and am not interested in cutting/bending/removing... thoughts?

-BC

15. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I think you’ll be fine. Pre 2020 you’d probably need to modify the stock “skid” (splash) guard but my understanding is the ears on the new 2020 skid do not extend as far and are not a problem for tire clearance. If you do need to bend or trim, it is super easy.
    I did remove the front air dam/mud flaps just to make it look like a truck even though they did not interfere.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    BCSpazer[OP] and Tundyfundy like this.
  16. Dec 5, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    19TundraPlatinum

19TundraPlatinum New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum Magnetic Gray Metallic
    5% Window tint Ceramic coating Weather tech mats Color matched mirror caps and door handles Oem black exhaust tip Blacked out 4x4 badge and added black tundra tailgate insert
    I believe they come with washers for the bump stocks, atleast mine did from
    Boss4x4

17. Dec 6, 2019 at 3:06 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    The 2.5 setting on the 6112 can be harsh due to maximum preload. If you want 2.5 inches lift I would set the 6112 at 1.9” for a comfy ride and use 1 coachbuilder shim on each side to gain the extra height(the shim won’t degrade the ride as the shock set at maximum will). Coachbuilder also has some awesome bumpstop extensions. If you use a shim the 6112 washer won’t be enough to protect the shock. You should extend your bumpstops at least the height you gained with shims.

I set my 6112 at 1.9 and added two shims each side for a total lift in front of 2.9”.

I also am running the 5160 and have 1.75” lift in the rear and haven’t had any problems yet, but as @ColoradoTJ stated, the manufacturer spec travel for 5160 is one inch over stock. I think most take that with a grain of salt since you will hardly ever get close to full droop, especially if your running a rear sway bar.

Diff drop is a waste of time for anything under 3”

I would recommend the coachbuilder shackles over the springs unless you’ll be towing due to the price and the way it changes the truck dynamics, (either harsh and strong, or weak and comfy).
    The CB shackles will maintain your factory squat when loaded while improving the ride immensely and lift the rear 1.75 inches as well.

If you are lifting the rear and off-roading I recommend the coach builder brake line/ ABS line extension brackets for the rear axle.

I went one inch bigger than stock on my tires and had to remove the mud flaps. KO2’s. It still rubs a tiny bit in reverse but only very seldom and only slightly.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  18. Dec 6, 2019 at 3:17 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    Also FWIW, I think the factory rake is around 3.25”. You will lose rake unless you lift the rear as much as the back. With your planned setup you will lose .75 inches of rake.

19. Dec 11, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Updated - I'd rather have 2"ish lift than start messing with shims and such.

I imagine you mean weak and comfy when not using the additional leafs and harsh and strong when using them, correct? Also, if I'm not usually towing or carrying a bunch of weight (usually the extent of cargo in the bed is coolers with ice and deer corn) do you think the weak and comfy would be too weak?

Fixed.

Added - good call.

I'm going to have to do some research on if the tires I have spec'd will still fit with a 1/2" lower lift.

-BC

20. Dec 11, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    I can't speak for lifts and the like, but you said you go into some rough areas. Even if you aren't trying to baja it, I wouldn't take 20" wheels off the pavement much. For light to moderate off roading (basically the stuff you see hunting or getting firewood) I would be ok on 18" wheels. The major offroad members here all recommend 17" if you wanna romp it in the rocks and dirt.

21. Dec 11, 2019 at 5:46 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Yeah, I'm not terribly excited about the 20" wheels on the truck right now that came with the TSS package... hence why I was trying to get some more meat on the sidewall for now until I can find some wheels I like. I may skip the tires for now or I may just go whole hog and change out the wheels during this exercise too. Haven't decided on that one yet - planning in progress :thumbsup:

-BC

22. Dec 11, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Check out the wheels and tires in the market place on here. There are a lot of stock 18" wheels that pop up because people change them out. Sometimes at screaming deals too.

23. Dec 11, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Good point - hadn't considered that... just have to find someone local - but I am close to SA and CC, so it couldn't be that hard!

That reminds me, I need to go over to TW and post up the remaining bits I have for the Tacoma I no longer own :monocle:

-BC

GODZILLA[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Dec 11, 2019 at 10:48 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Wheels and tires updated...

-BC

25. Dec 11, 2019 at 11:04 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Lol. Converted to the Ray 10s, eh? They are my first choice.

26. Dec 12, 2019 at 5:14 AM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    For now... I'm not one to follow the crowd usually, but those are the only ones I could find that had a reasonable offset and weren't bling bling :rofl:

-BC

27. Dec 12, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Still on the fence on shackles vs. the spring pack... cost is not really a problem, just want the best option for long term reliability and ride comfort...

-BC

Coachbuilder1 likes this.
  28. Dec 12, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    AZBoatHauler

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I think both are reliable. The shackle probably wins on ride comfort unless you're loaded heavy all the time. @Coachbuilder1 ?

Coachbuilder1 likes this.
  29. Dec 12, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    Agreed on the no bling. Icon and Method are the more common wheels that I see, so I don't think you're following the crowd. Doesn't matter either way as long as you're happy with them.

30. Dec 13, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    BCSpazer

BCSpazer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TSS Off Road
    Found something else I liked a little better :thumbsup:

-BC

Products Discussed in

To Top