1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let’s talk Body Armor!

Discussion in 'Public Safety Officers' started by ToyotaTundraMike, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Jun 2, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike [OP] Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Ok guys. This crazy world we live in has me thinking more and more about possible SHTF scenarios and I’ve decided some type of body armor wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I am obviously not in the military or an LEO so I am very new to the world of body armor.

What would you recommend for the average person looking to protect themselves in a dangerous situation?

I’m currently torn between two options:

1. Plate carrier such as Crye JPC2.0 with level 4 hard ceramic plates.

2. A concealable soft level 3 vest which has front and rear pockets for level 4 hard plates if you want to add them as needed.

Which option would you recommend and why?

Currently leaning toward the vest since it offers more protection and I can always add a plate for a rifle threat if necessary. I also don’t have a million accessories I’ll need to add to it. Just something to carry some extra mags. I can’t find much info on them online as far as popular brands etc. The one I’m seeing most is “Safe Life”. Are these any good?

saybng likes this.
  2. Jun 2, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I don’t know much to help. Picked up a vest locally from the manufacturer yesterday who only does phone orders/internet sales, but he made an exception due to current situation. The problem I ran into is wait times 4-6 weeks but most were 9 weeks. Carrier and level III AR550 plates for $245 lifetime warranty. It’s a wee bit heavy.
    564D3934-B9AC-4919-A8FD-98EB95166316.jpg

saybng, sr5shark, T-Rex266 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jun 2, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    i can't speak to brands and what i know, i know from journalists working in combat zones. engarde seems to be on their lists. they're wearing level IIIA at a minimum. usually level III and ceramic plates.

ToyotaTundraMike[OP] and Vizsla like this.
  4. Jun 2, 2020 at 9:57 AM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Really? Are we living in Palestine now....

ZappBrannigan, RyRy12 and bdpeelgren like this.
  5. Jun 2, 2020 at 9:58 AM
    torontopimp

torontopimp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra SR5 off road
    Running boards , tonneau cover, short antenna, Solo Mach 40 side exit before rear wheel.
    I will let the L.E.O.’s that use armour on a regular basis answer this but I will tell you a funny story about an inmate that was in my prison.

this young fellow and his friend robbed a gun shop and took a bunch of handguns, ammo and one bullet proof vest. They were gang members and had no real training on how to use the firearms. One fellow puts on the vest and says he wants to see what it’s like to get hit in the vest. The other one agrees to fire a shot at the vest. They get a fair distance apart and the guy fires one shot and hits his friend right in the head.

because of our horrible low prison sentences the guy got 15 years for killing his friend and the robbery of the gun shop.

I know this doesn’t answer the O.P.’s question but it was a story that I vividly remember from my days of turning keys in the prison.

I will add that I got stabbed with a sharpened toothbrush during a riot while wearing a “stab-proof” vest, the guy just put it in my arm where the vest didn’t cover.

6. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Never know what tomorrow will bring. I’d rather have one and not need it then the alternative.

7. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:44 AM
    DevinH18Platinum

DevinH18Platinum New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum.
    4 inch lift on 33s
    Funny you mention it. I have this setup on order. I have ZERO problem adding a PC in my daily cart mix. I have an SBR and a couple pistols and plenty of ammo for all in my truck when I’m in it. Not to mention my “get home” bag that’s always with me too.

6CCFAB6E-4C59-42FA-9457-3ECECBCB72FC.jpg

8. Jun 4, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Anyone have experience with Safe Life products?

9. Jun 4, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    tlr641

tlr641 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robb
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Sport
    Trd dual exhaust, bilstein 5100’s, tint
    19 years LE with 4 years to go!
    I am probably the minority here, but off duty I never carry a gun, toss one in the car for road trips and such but that’s about it. Seen a lot of bad and what people do to each other over my career so far but I can’t live life wearing a vest or carrying a gun 24/7.

probably get some responses about how wrong I am or I could be in a position to prevent a bad thing while off duty....

But I just can’t live my life always in “the red.”

Kn4x2, Bprose, MJoeP and 15 others like this.
  10. Jun 4, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    i imagine it was difficult learning how to turn yourself on and off like that but, good for you. :cheers:

831Tun likes this.
  11. Jun 4, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    tlr641

tlr641 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robb
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Sport
    Trd dual exhaust, bilstein 5100’s, tint
    Took a while to get out of the “I’m a cop and all people are going to kill me” phase!
    It’s a great job....but it’s a job...not who I am

MJoeP, 831Tun, ZappBrannigan and 5 others like this.
  12. Jun 4, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    ccheezy

ccheezy New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax Limited
    "What are you hauling there son?" "ass"
    I have a mayflower APC with HESCO plates. I also have some cheap steel ones I use to do Murph, gets me right under 20lbs all in. Velocity scarab is also a banger.

porkitt and ToyotaTundraMike[OP] like this.
  13. Jun 4, 2020 at 1:24 PM
    Damie Street

Damie Street New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edsel
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CrewMax SR5 TRD OffRoad
    I wouldn't recommend the steel plates. Since the are thin and heavy the weight isn't distributed evenly and they will eventually tear your plate carrier. If you can get ceramic plates I would over the steel plates. I know the ceramic plates can be a little bit more expensive. I've been lucky and have 2 sets that I was able to acquire being in the military.

Just my opinion and 2 cents.

ToyotaTundraMike[OP] likes this.
  14. Jun 4, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    ccheezy

ccheezy New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax Limited
    "What are you hauling there son?" "ass"
    Agree... Ceramic or even the UMPHWE* builds are preferred for actually stopping rounds.

15. Jun 4, 2020 at 8:05 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Definitely going ceramic with the plates no matter which route I go on the vest/carrier.

Any brands you guys recommend?

16. Jun 4, 2020 at 8:48 PM
    Damie Street

Damie Street New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edsel
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CrewMax SR5 TRD OffRoad
    Honestly, Condor is a cheap decent brand to own if your not wearing it every day. Shellback tactical is a good brand but a little pricey. I own one of each.

17. Jun 4, 2020 at 8:58 PM
    TransNone13

TransNone13 New Member

Member:
    For what it's worth I'm affiliated with ARSOF and would recommend the Crye product. Less is more and I would go for mobility with high performance plates (something like a ceramic composite--I don't recall the brand as mine are supplied).

I think I've worn the vest PLC721 posted, it wasn't bad. I can't tell if it has the quick release system.

If you're looking for a helmet, the OG is Ops-Core.

Edited footnote: The key is having a sufficient first aid kit/plan for injuries in the surrounding areas/extremities since the vest is minimal (I am not an 18D). I don't drive around with body armor, but I do carry a first aid kit with at least one tourniquet in the truck.

I thought about it harder, I remember using this by Point Blank. Looks like their level IV (also a ceramic composite).

https://www.pointblankenterprises.com/paraclete/hard-armor-plates.html

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  18. Jun 5, 2020 at 12:22 AM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    I may be naive but I would like to believe that we don’t need bulletproof vests on in this country to feel safe in our own communities.

19. Jun 5, 2020 at 12:41 AM
    TransNone13

TransNone13 New Member

Member:
    I didn't comment on the justification, but I feel this is an accurate statement hence the first aid kit bonus comment. Generally, this stuff is for people who are sent into harm's way or are looking for trouble. No judgement, just hope that everyone stays safe and mindful out there. If I'm not mistaken the vast majority of firearm deaths are from pistols. Therefore, capable of being handled by a more discrete soft vest.

20. Jun 5, 2020 at 12:57 AM
    IBJC

IBJC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra sr5 crewmax Cavalry Blue
    is there a camacho or stewart in your department

21. Jun 5, 2020 at 4:51 AM
    mbn225

mbn225 New Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Crewmax TRD
    Rock Warrior Bits Flowmaster exhaust 3/1 Lift
    Maybe the first fellow LEO I've ever heard feel this way, I support you brother and commend your service but not constantly living in the red doesn't mean you have to live in the white. Not saying you do, just saying situational awareness is huge in my opinion.This is not the most popular field to be in and we are targeted daily. I don't go to the mailbox without carrying. It's not a macho thing or a paranoid thing or even a "red" thing, but I ALWAYS have 4 things: phone, keys, wallet, and a gun. I have an umbrella, a tool kit, and some first aid in all my vehicles as well, not because it rains all the time, I drive a POS ford, or I constantly get paper cuts but I carry them because when you need them there's no substitute. Just my view on that, stay safe brother.

As for the OP, go check out Spartan Armor. Great guys with a great product.

22. Jun 5, 2020 at 4:52 AM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    Me too...

23. Jun 5, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    Waynef3413

Waynef3413 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR
    I have used multiple different plate carriers and vests from Eagle, Crye, and Mayflower/Velocity.

I have settled on the LPAAC. It uses their proprietary cut soft armor and when stripped down can be worn as a concealable vest. When needed you can attach a placcard to carry additional equipment.

I'm not sure how you envision using this sort of thing but if it is due to the current unrest I would think the ability to blend in would be much preferable to carrying a bunch of overt equipment.

Avoidance is obviously paramount. Simply steer clear of an area if you know there is planned protests.

If you are having to move through it in your vehicle, speed is security. Find a clear route and know multiple ways around problem areas. If you have to get out on foot, I would go back to being the grey man. I would not want to do that in full kit.

And if the problem finds you at home, simply stay inside. You only open yourself up to more problems by going out and getting involved. 20200318_163619.jpg

20200605_081813.jpg 20200605_081813.jpgI

24. Jun 5, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Yeah I probably should have been clear. This has nothing to do with the current protests etc. I live in a relatively small city in North Florida where stuff like that just doesn't happen, and if it did I definitely wouldn't be out in the middle of it looking for trouble.

This is more about being prepared in case of another disaster or SHTF scenario.

For example: Almost 2 years ago now, Hurricane Michael ripped my town apart. Power was out for nearly a month, and a ton of sketchy people from all over the place came to take advantage of the situation. Looting of businesses and homes were a regular thing, even in the nicer neighborhoods. Gunshots could be heard most nights. In that situation I would have been glad to have a concealable vest for added protection while out delivering supplies etc. for those less fortunate, and also for our nightly neighborhood watch that myself and my neighbors who are an ex-marine and a retired air force colonel took part in. I was really impressed with how prepared they were for something like this, from supplies to body armor etc. I told myself I would also be prepared next time. And I will be.

25. Aug 26, 2020 at 3:37 AM
    pm07

pm07 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Tundra
    None yet
    I'll second Wayne with the Velocity Systems LPAAC or LPAC with VS armor depending on needs. If you want something low profile that you can wear both covertly and overtly, the LPAC is the way to go. I've been a long time user for work purposes, I own 4 of them. The LPAC, and LPAAC to an extent, allow you to change your loadout based on your needs. Pull the placard off and wear it under a polo low profile. Add the placard for overt. The ability to set up different placards , say one heavy pistol and one for rifle. Or something like the Spiritus Systems Micro Fight as an option. The armor is Level 3 and both the LPAC/LPAAC have plate pockets built in for adding hard plates if/when you want to. We issue this system at my job.

26. Aug 26, 2020 at 5:34 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    I agree with you.

Situational awareness and confrontation avoidance work wonders.

Products Discussed in

To Top