1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Lighting Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RowdyRon, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Oct 27, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon [OP] Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Ok, I am going to show my ignorance about installing LED lighting on my Tundra, so here goes.... I want to install bed lighting on my truck and I want to use the Toyota part #00016-34089 kit. It looks like the kit lights have 6 LED's each and I want to tap into the cargo light circuit in order for them to come on when the doors are opened, key fob used, or the cargo light switch in the cab is used. I've found several posts on various forums about tapping the brown wire under the driver scuff plate and to use a 5 amp fuse with this install. Ok, no problem as I've seen some posts where this has been done successfully. Now for the interesting part... I also have decided to mount an LED strip under each of the 4 doors to light my steps. Each step LED strip is a 6W 6000K Xenon White COB DRL light strip and I would like to have them come on along with the bed LED's when I open the doors, unlock the door with the key fob, or turn on the cargo light in the cab. My question - is this too much lighting to have running off the same power tap I plan to use under the scuff plate cargo light circuit? I know that LED's don't pull much power but I don't want to hose anything up. Also, if the circuit will support the lights, what gauge wire would you suggest I use to hook everything up? I've read anything from 18 gauge to 10 gauge. If running the 2 bed lights plus 4 LED strips is too iffy, would mounting 2 LED strips between the doors for foot lighting instead of 4 (1 under each door) be better advised? Your assistance and comments are appreciated! Thanks!

2. Oct 27, 2015 at 7:21 PM
    mdavis

mdavis Tiger Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4X4
    Tow Mirrors, 275/60R20 Toyo AT2's
    4 led strips at 12 volts and 6 watts would be .5 amps each so a total of 2 amps extra. You would be fine adding it to the same circuit. 18 gauge wire would be plenty. I couldn't find any info on wattage for the Toyota kit but imagine it will pull less than 2 amps itself. Both combined, you should be under the 5 amp fuse you'll be putting in with a little wiggle room.

RowdyRon likes this.
  3. Oct 28, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon [OP] Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Thank you sir! I appreciate the help!

To Top