1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leather steering wheel wrap

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by thomasbus337, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Jun 22, 2020 at 5:44 PM
    thomasbus337

thomasbus337 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    I have an extra steering wheel from my last Tundra kicking around, so I’m going to give one of those Amazon leather wheel wrap kits a go soon for the new Tundra.

Is there any reason why I couldn’t/shouldn’t tack the entire thing down to the wheel with contact cement before I start to stitch it? Last attempt 4 years ago wasn’t bad, but I remember the having extra material in the back flopping around and a few seams weren’t fully lined up. I’m hoping if I can line it all up and tack it down before stitching I’ll end up with a better result. Thoughts, tips, suggestions? The wheel is a spare so I’m not rushed

Mountun Goat likes this.
  2. Jun 22, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    Do it!

Mountun Goat likes this.
  3. Jun 23, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    I think your idea is good. After doing my wheel (wrapped it while installed) the only words of caution I have are:

- you’ll want to have some way of ascertaining that the cover is in the correct position before the adhesive tacks up. The last thing you want is a meandering stitch line, especially if using brightly colored thread.

You could position the cover on the wheel using the kit-supplied tape. Check all the edges to be sure they line up, and then paint your Liquid Nails into each section as you go. I think you’d find this to be very effective, especially on the side of the steering wheel that faces the dash- you don’t SEE the other side of the wheel, but your fingers feel every place that didn’t get glued down.

Good luck!

Mountun Goat and K1NJO like this.
  4. Jun 23, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    ckkone

ckkone New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    The one I got from Amazon came with some really nice double sided tape and so far its keeping the cover stuck into all the contours of the wheel.

Mountun Goat likes this.
  5. Jun 23, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    thomasbus337

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    This one has the tape, but I discovered the holding power of contact cement when recovering the center armrest. I’m doing it with silver thread to match the Katzkin seats and armrest

ckkone and Mountun Goat like this.
  6. Jun 28, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    thomasbus337

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    So I went ahead and did the wheel without first using the contact cement. This wheel wrap came with a lot more tape than the last one did. I wrapped the wheel and tried using silver thread hoping to match it with the silver stitching on my Katzkin leather seats. The wheel came out perfect but I wasn’t happy with the look of the silver thread so I undid the silver and re stitched with the black. Only problems were that the silver thread was thicker than the black so my re stitch wasn’t as tight as the first time and I missed one loop toward the end. It still looks great, but I have a feeling my OCD will have me trying it for a second time with a fresh wrap

5A195504-7014-484E-AF08-415276694576.jpg

BajaTurd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top