1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaky rear diff

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Samoan Thor, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dec 30, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor [OP] God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    It’s a slow leak not flowing but I tightened the little nut from where it leaks and it works but then I notice a few days after that it’s slowly leaking again. Anyone dealt with this and had a fix? Is this covered under warranty? Truck is a 14 with 47,300 miles, I haven’t contacted the dealer yet.

755F9E86-87BF-4FE3-A563-87C382A08BCE.jpg
    95FFE6DE-8A04-45F6-9E7A-36E54B72F6B8.jpg

2. Dec 30, 2017 at 12:08 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Well...The seal has failed prematurely IMHO. Definitely call your dealer. My Tundra is 10 yrs old/ 84.7K and rear diff seal dry as a bone.

3. Dec 30, 2017 at 3:16 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Ya, call the dealer on that one. Don't try to snug it any more, it'll just moosh and tear the gasket. Depending on the dealer that you deal with, they'll probably want to do just that, which likely won't fix it. Then you're going to have to take it back, so I'd make an appointment for that before you even leave on your first visit. It's not that hard of a job, but I'll bet that carrier if flipping heavy, and the dealer will have a jack for it.

Samoan Thor[OP] and Black Wolf like this.
  4. Dec 30, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    Looking for a 2009-2012 crewmax
    Looks like there's oil farther up the pinion part of the 3rd. Is it leaking through the gasket where the 3rd member mates to the axle housing? Or is it leaking from the pinion seal, where the driveline bolts to the 3rd member?

Samoan Thor[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 30, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    Samoan Thor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    Thanks y’all for the input, according to the warranty booklet it should be covered under powertrain if I’m reading it right. I’ll call the dealer but probably closed over the weekend till Tuesday cuz of the new year, hopefully someone at sales or parts can answer any warranty questions if service is closed.

NewImprovedRon and Black Wolf like this.
  6. Dec 30, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I'm sure that they'll want to look at it in person before making any commitments on coverage.

7. Dec 30, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Samoan Thor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    Looks good

A28F2418-6AA4-4485-B64E-3D233174F5E4.jpg

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  8. Dec 30, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Should be covered I'm thinking...................

Samoan Thor[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top