1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Laptop advice....Lenovo or HP

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Tundra234, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Nov 10, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Hey guys. My 9 yr old wants to upgrade to a touchscreen laptop for Christmas. For you guys that are computer knowledgeable, which is better....Lonovo or HP? He plays Roblox and Minecraft online. Thanks.

2. Nov 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    Dogmatic

Dogmatic 2013 TRD Rock Warrior 4X4

Member:
    Seems like HP is it. But I'm sure there others. Just get lots of memory.
    https://www.ursuperb.com/lenovo-vs-hp/#Lenovo_vs_HP_in_terms_of_Reliability

3. Nov 10, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Link to reviewer who says the exact opposite...Link

I just bought a Lenovo to replace my HP, the HP is going to be exclusively for Tech Stream and flashing tunes; it's getting very long in the tooth. The Lenovo I picked up at Best Buy for $600 off, it was a display model.

4. Nov 10, 2019 at 2:29 PM
    Batel

Batel New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD Offroad
    I've had a couple of Lenovo's for business apps and they have been very good machines. Having said that I have an HP that has been through the mill and still works. Having said that, I don't fully trust HP because I had two friends that purchased 17-inch so-called gaming laptops about a year apart to run games on and both of them died prematurely due to GPU failure. I put a motherboard in one of them and it failed again within a year and the motherboard had doubled in price so he recycled it. Hopefully, HP has its thermal issues resolved by now. Maybe someone on here will have a link to a good gaming forum to get a better insight into their respective performance.

5. Nov 10, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Lenovo.. get the Intel processers.. since he plays games..
    I know I will start a :crapstorm: But my experience with AMD is trash or they can't handle what all I do in math computation.

Hp is garbage..

jtwags and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  6. Nov 10, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    I run an IT department for a medium-sized company. (over 1000 employees) We are a Dell shop but the finance department insists on HPs we have 3% at most HPs and they get at least 60% of the attention. (constantly needing repair)

7. Nov 10, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Dell.

For added protection and warranty, buy through Costco. 90 day returns, price protection and double factory warranty up to 1 year extra.

10TundraSR5, chugs and TheBeast like this.
  8. Nov 10, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
  9. Nov 10, 2019 at 3:58 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Lenovo laptops have been quite good for us at work. We switched to Dell and they are also quite good. Not a fan of HP.

10. Nov 10, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    JimboSlice413

JimboSlice413 Super Nice Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4x4, 2003 Sequoia
    Bilstein 5100/5160 Toyo at2 295/70r18 Ray10 GunMetal
    I had a terrible experience with Lenovo and their warranty dept. All pc manufacturers will have failures but what I went through was unbelievable. If you do have an issue, be warned, there is no way to submit a warranty claim online. Its all through call centers in India, you will be on the phone for HOURS and still unsure if everything translated correctly. Their "english" is almost comical its so indiscernible. There was a 3 week turn around for my repair and when the computer finally arrived back it had the same issue right out of the box! TWICE. Yes, I sent it back twice and both times it was returned with a dead keyboard right out of the box. The final resolution was to repair my thousand dollar laptop myself at 3 months old. The laptop itself is phenomenal. Its really fast, runs cool and its super quiet. However, after that 2 month long frustrating experience, I'll never purchase a Lenovo product again. I'd also recommend purchasing from a store like best buy so a return like that can be done in the store. I purchased straight from Lenovo.

11. Nov 11, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Do any of you know if the Lenovo that I linked above can handle Roblox and Minecraft online? Went to Best Buy again and the guy kept changing his story. I tried explaining to him that he is 9, and he's not playing something heavy like Call of Duty.

12. Nov 11, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    That laptop is fine with what he is playing.. it has plenty of ram and a ok hard drive for him.
    That Amd is better than the 7 do to better performance and game playing..

FYI people in bestbuy don't know sh!t about computers...

13. Nov 11, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    JimboSlice413

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    That Lenovo has whats called integrated graphics. The gpu chores are shared with the CPU rather than having a dedicated graphics card. Its a cheaper way of running graphics but its more than enough for minecraft. You could probably also run newer games just at reduced settings. Search Youtube for Ryzen 5 3500u integrated graphics benchmarks to see how that laptop would handle games. Here's a vid of a Ryzen5 3500u with 8gb of memory running through some games. Its actually pretty impressive what they can do with integrated graphics these days.

10TundraSR5 and Tundra234[OP] like this.
  14. Nov 11, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    17TundraDCEd

17TundraDCEd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5 Crewmax
    Rear Sway Bar
    Lenovo was the biggest pile of s**t I ever purchased. $1200 and spent more time getting it repaired than using it, and still never worked right. Never again.

15. Nov 11, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    back up a bit. Does your kid really need a windows laptop? Case in point, until my kids got older, a chromebook is way cheaper and got them through middle school just fine. hell, I just got my high school daughter a chrombook tablet w/touchscreen for $250. Kids destroy these things, especially portable units. Graphics aren't the best, but shit they are in grade/middle school. You get what you get and like it. at $250 through Amazon if it gets flakey I just buy a new one and move on. And to add, most schoold leverage Google Classroom so it's a natural pairing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GM2J11Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For me, I've had really good luck with Lenovo. Never a single issue with my last two ThinkPads. and the chromebook is a Lenovo as well. Sounds like i've been lucky?

16. Nov 11, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    JimboSlice413

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    The Thinkpads are pretty nice. Lenovo even has a separate customer service dept just for thinkpads. You won't go through the same call center I had to, you'll actually get an English speaking rep on the phone. When I found this out I called the Thinkpad service dept for my 3rd claim and wouldn't let them off the phone. They were pissed and gave me all kinds of attitude but hell, I told them my Lenovo cost 1100 dollars and there's no reason they shouldn't help me out after not having it for 2 months. Odds are OP will never have a problem with his Lenovo, there was a bad run with my model and the company handled it poorly. I made a youtube video about it that got 26k+ views two years ago. I still get messages to this day from owners on how I fixed mine. The company never pulled it, never corrected it and never offered a new laptop to the affected customers. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies about ever purchasing from them again.

Black Wolf likes this.
  17. Nov 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    I prefer HP. I bought 2 Dells years ago (one for me and one for my daughter to use at school) and bought their extended "no matter what" warranty. When one died, I called and they agreed that I had a warranty, but said they couldn't do anything because I didn't have a warranty. Their system showed the warranty to be valid and active, but wouldn't allow a claim to be filed. No reason, they just couldn't do it. After a couple of weeks of going from supervisor to supervisor, I trashed it an bought an HP. When my grandson needed a laptop for school, I bought him an HP. A month later, the screen went bad. A call to HP resulted in an immediate claim with an offer to expedite it for an $5.00 charge for faster shipping. I paid the extra, they sent a box and I mailed it on Monday. It arrived back in the mail the next Thursday in perfect working order. I've stuck with HP since then. I have an older refurbed Lenovo, but it gets very light usage and I can't speak much to its durability.

18. Nov 11, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.7k Supercharged 2008
    I've had HP, Dell, Lenovo, they all suck ass to one extent or another. I've started getting laptops by companies that actually manufacture hardware and had better luck. My girlfriend got an ASUS laptop and it's been great. I got a MSI Workstation for the CAD work I do and it's been awesome. ASUS and MSI both manufacture motherboards and other stuff. I don't know if it's a pattern, but seems like an improvement over the horrible Dell I had before and the last company I worked at that all had Lenovos and half of them shit the bed inside of 2 years.

Regardless though, those games could be run on a smartphone. I would just pick up any used laptop that's a year or two old.

19. Nov 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
    We also bought my son a gaming computer, my brother who's heavy on this stuff talked us out of a laptop and recommended this one,, a little more then your price range but it can do way more then the laptop..goodluck OP

Screenshot_20191111-135634_Chrome.jpg

20. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    off topic I know. My son was getting into the gaming thing a few years back, Steam, fortnite etc etc etc. He wanted a new "Better" gaming system since he was starting to really get into it.

I got him a Mt Bike and kicked him outside. Happy to say he actually dove into it and is riding his ass off now. And he actually got some social skills back! dodged a friggin bullet there my friends.

saybng, Ericsopa, PKFan and 2 others like this.
  21. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Get an iPad with a keyboard case. Good luck.

22. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:13 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I run a Macbook Air that has had iOS stripped off completely and Windows 10 installed. I like the hardware but I despised iOS. I just ordered a new battery for it though, since it's totally shit the bed after 4 years. I won't buy an Apple product again but overall I'm happy with this one. If it craps out, I'm looking at an ASUS Zenbook or a Dell XPS 13 to replace it.

May be a little above budget, but I can't say enough about how much I appreciate an aluminum body and solid state drive.

23. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:19 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    you are a rebel for sure.

Outbound[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:23 PM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    I would say Dell and not either of the two

We have all Lenovo here and they are dead after a year

I never liked HP and my Dell is two years old and going srtrong

I.T. Director

25. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:25 PM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Lol....I may just go with an Asus and spend a little more for reliability. I have an Asus myself and his current base laptop is an Asus.

10TundraSR5 likes this.
  26. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:33 PM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    I never understood the, "Don't buy an HP", or "Don't buy this brand" people because at the end of the day, you want to look at specs, which you can get any brand to come with an Intel or AMD processor (sans Apple) and basically build it out to what you need. If you buy one over the other for reliability than I think you'll regret it. The only difference these days are places like Costco with better warranties for when 'fit hits the shan".

Jengel451 likes this.
  27. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:49 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    Not true. These companies have different hardware architectures that can affect how things interact. I am an endpoint engineer for a company with 2000+ employees. Right now, we have a mixed bag of Lenovo and Dell with Lenovo on their way out. Problems are similar throughout each line. We can only attest this to different hardware architecture between brands/models. We use standardized images with driver cabs injected at the time of imaging, so each one gets the same windows with its specific driver pack. Now, this is enterprise level gear, so things that start at $1.3k, but you will still get these things with consumer grade stuff as well.

Black Wolf likes this.
  28. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    We had eight ThinkPads that we used for onsite calibrations. Company wide, probably close to 200. We used them for 5 years with zero issues at our lab. We've been using Dell Inspiron' for 3 years with zero issues. My grandson is using a Fire but will get him a ChromeBook when he's ready.

29. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Our corporate MIS group does the same with our company computers. We have close to 800 employees. Plenty of decent kid consumer level laptops out there.

GravityGear[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Nov 11, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    LOL. Nah, I'm just lazy and stuck in my ways. Putting Windows on the Mac wasn't even my idea. I was frustrated with iOS as I didn't find it very intuitive after trying to use it for 6 months. Been using Windows too long I guess. I planned to sell the Macbook so I asked my friend in IT what laptop he suggested I get to replace it. He said the hardware is good and if I just didn't like the OS he could fix that instead of me going out and spending more money. Gave it to him for a day and got it back with Windows installed. Been working great ever since.

Pete1794 and Black Wolf like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top