1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knee replacement gone wrong Sucks for me

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dabutcher, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    Dabutcher

Dabutcher [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Twin Cities
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue Tundra SR5 CM 4x4 Beauty
    Toytec Boss coilover, Ray10’s ,Ridge Grapplers,Bilstein 5100,BAM 8”,TRD sway,
    Had total knee replacement on 12/19/2017. Been waiting ever since for pain when I stand up and some swelling to go away. So I went to Dr. to see what he thought? After xrays he said that 20% have issues with the recovery. He does not know why. There were things in the xrays that concern him so he sent me to other Dr. for second opinion. So I went to this new Dr. today and he took more xrays. Then after examining and looking at xrays. He showed me that the glue used to bond the new knee parts and bones together had a gap between the bone and new knee parts. So now I have to go back in and get another new knee. So that means about three months with no income for recovery. I do not have a desk job. I install fountain equipment which includes lots of manual labor with heavy lifting and ladder climbing. So wish me luck. I am still married and home is paid off and all vehicles are paid off and bank account is fat enough. So I will be all good. It just sucks I have to go through this again? Thanks for letting me vent my frustration.
    Love yours. D

mtntop, NjPro, PMG and 11 others like this.
  2. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    damn that does suck. good luck.

3. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    dandailey

dandailey King Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan D
    Newport News Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD 4x4 DC Tundra 5.7 Blue Ribbon
    Bakflip Revolver X2 ,Nestahedition Firestalk antenna, TRD dual exhaust, WeatherTech liners, in channel deflectors, 20% tint front, Tundra bed mat.AFE pro dry s filter,SA XDM 3.8 compact 9mm., Wheel to wheel N-Fab 3 steps.Lamin-X yellow on fogs, Bilstein 6112's top setting, BFG KO2's 275/70-18.Pioneer HU, JL RD amp, Focal speakers everywhere.
    Well that sucks . Hopefully the next will work and be quick.. good luck.

4. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Hang in there D. The new dr will get you square away. Best of luck.

5. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    Fishman57

Fishman57 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794 Barcelona Red Crewmax
    BakFlip MX4 Tonneau, 12 Volt Solutions Remote Starter More minor mods coming
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the next go-around.
    As there is evidence that the original replacement wasn’t done right, I’d contact a malpractice lawyer about it. Sounds like you might have a case for a significant payout from the original surgeon.

15whtrd likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:14 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    Bummer. Got lucky with both mine. Hopefully they get the new one right. You will know as soon as you wake up if the got right.

Good luck.

7. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    That sucks. I'm going in for shoulder surgery on 2/22 and wondering what's going to happen. I plan on pushing myself to return to week within 10 days, but I have a desk job, so nothing like your line of work. When do you go back in?

8. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    I totally get it. Guys are not good at being sick or injured for long periods of time. Frustrating as all get out.:frusty: Blessings ...
    [​IMG]

Ericsopa and BestGen like this.
  9. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Just had shoulder MRI last Friday and followed up with Ortho Dr. yesterday. The rotator cuff tendon is fine, but the report notes the following:

1. Tendinosis and bursal sided fraying of the supraspinatus. Insertional tendinosis of the subscapularis. No rotator cuff tear identified.
    2. Thickening of the axillary recess may be associated with adhesive capsulitis
    3. Labral fraying and partial tearing superiorly
    4. Cortical cystic changes associated with marrow edema posterior lateral humeral head. May be bony reactive changes, also associated with internal impingement.

Basically, he told me everything is all inflammed in the joint. He's going to do a acromial decompression or something like that....something or other plasty, and shave down part of the bone so that everything has more room to move and not bind up from the inflammation.

Dr. said plan on being out for about 10 days, I'm hoping to go back after 5. I'll have a f/u appt 10 days after surg and then physical therapy for a bit.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  10. Feb 8, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    You knee issue defines..SUCKS. A co-worker had 2 knee replacements. Neither one went well at all.

11. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:03 PM
    040Tundra

040Tundra Teddy 2013-2019

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    040 '16 CM LTD 4x4
    A little of this and a little of that.

Damn, sorry to hear about the need for more surgery on something that should have been done right the first time. If they knew about the glue why didn’t he use a different kind to begin with?

I too had a similar experience with my lower lumbar. A surgery to fix the surgery. WIshes for a speedy recovery and very little pain.

12. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    Buckeyeota

Buckeyeota New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 tundra trd & sr5
    Stock
    Good luck with surgery and rehab. My dad used to say "it's not a sin to get old, just unhandy." ..stay positive.

13. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    Dabutcher

Dabutcher [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Twin Cities
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue Tundra SR5 CM 4x4 Beauty
    Toytec Boss coilover, Ray10’s ,Ridge Grapplers,Bilstein 5100,BAM 8”,TRD sway,
    Thanks everyone. I am planning on the April fools day for surjury.
    Love yours. D

14. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    senn4586

senn4586 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra
    Rear LED, inside LED
    I have known a few people that have had this done and it definitely is no fun. Hope your recovery is a rapid one and hope that everything goes better this time around.

15. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM
    MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DAVID
    LOS ANGELES CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 V-8 4.7L WHITE
    RCD 6" SUSPENSION LIFT,ICON EXTENDED FRONT COILOVERS,3" BODY LIFT,CAMBURG UPPER CONTROL ARMS.REAR DISK BRAKE CONVERSION,BIG BRAKE FRONT CONVERSION, AND MANY MORE
    I just went through rotator cuff surgery. I lived with it for five months before getting surgery. I was off for 3 months, i am back to work now, but healing slowly. Getting better, but still tuff to do things like overhead work.shoulder still not very strong.

16. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    Ac91

Ac91 New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    Being in the operating room myself unfortunately it’s not that easy there is multiple reasons a implant can fail whether it be the implant itself, the bone cement used to fuse the implant to bone could have been bad going after the surgeon will just lead to headache and wasted money at this point for him unless he can pin point the surgeon himself made a grave mistake during the procedure it will be a no go in most states. Op hopefully the next procedure is smooth and quick recovery

17. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Hang in there and hopefully you will be kicking arse soon!

18. Feb 8, 2019 at 5:56 PM
    Geezer

Geezer New Member

Member:
    Heart of the Catskills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited
    Sorry to hear this. I know a lot of people who have had hip or knee replacements and I don't know of a single one that failed. That 20 percent number is scary. Best of luck with the new knee.

19. Feb 9, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    MatthewPTguy

MatthewPTguy Not a new member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD MGM
    Borla dual cat back exhaust system, K&N replacement air filter, Headlight Revolution 40" Stealth LED light bar, Headlight Revolution LED fog light replacement bulbs, Line X bed liner, de-badge
    Ugh! That sucks, Dude! Good luck this time around! I wish you a speedy recovery!

20. Feb 9, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Good luck. That's tough. Two guys at work have had serious issues with their knee replacements. One was medically retired, the other went back for 2 new ones....:mad:

21. Feb 9, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Good luck with your next surgery D.

22. Feb 9, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I had my ACL replaced with a cadaver Achilles heel tendon. I was told I will need a knee replacement someday. Your story is exactly why it scared me when I was told this. I was also told that since I have been relying on my other knee for over 20 years that it will probably need surgery as well. Also I’ve been unknowingly limping for all these years causing my hips to hurt.

Good luck man. I really hope it turns out well for you.

23. Feb 14, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    ifishinxs

ifishinxs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Cedar city, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra limited
    None! I tow a boat weekly
    Its really important to research the doctor doing the surgery as well as the type of knee they will be using. My father and his brother have had both knees replaced. My father had issues and a tough recovery from the right knee that was done first. To this day his right knee allows his leg to lay over to the right side. Left knee was done by a different doctor and has been perfect..I had my right knee replaced by an ex military surgeon. He came highly recommended! I had to laugh after I woke up after the operation to find that he used glue to instead of staples to close the wound..He told me I was the first one that he had tried the glue with. My scare is very hardly noticable. Good luck with your new knee. I hope your recovery and PT go well..Pop a pain pill an hour before you go to PT!

24. Feb 14, 2019 at 6:59 PM
    Faht Nocker

Faht Nocker Platinum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Woody
    Milky Way
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super Fast White Platinum 4x4 Faux PRO Tundra
    Trying to think of a bright side for ya... You get to watch conference tournaments and march madness? Anyhow i wish you the best and a good speedy recovery!

25. Feb 14, 2019 at 7:03 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    My surgeon is excellent and a commedian.

My 2 week follow up he tells me that it was hard finding a proper prosthetic. The best he could do was fit me with a woman's knee prosthetic. I told him he was full of shit.

I would know if I had a woman's knee, because I would be touching it all the time.

He told me it was the 1st time he had been bested when it came to that joke.

Besides that bit of levity, here is to you having a much better experience the next time.

26. Feb 14, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    NjPro

NjPro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    2017 Trd Pro Tundra cement
    Magnuson supercharger, Sprint booster, CB TRD PRO kit, 295/70/10 terra grapple G2, Black TRD shift knob, Rhino shackle hitch, Lund Tri-fold bed cover, 1.25 Spidertrax wheel spacers. TRD rear sway bar. Bud Built cross member. Arb Diff breather. Grab handle installed. 2012 DC SR5 TRD Supercharged, Gone but not forgotten.
    Good luck brother.

Products Discussed in

To Top