1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keyless Entry

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Childs, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Sep 1, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    Childs

Childs [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001Thunder Gray Tundra SR5 4x2
    I just bought a 2002. The previous owner had replaced the cylinder key in the steering column, so there were mismatching keys, one to start and one for the doors. He was the second owner, and said he never had FOBs. There were some other issues with the locks he noted, such as the tailgate lock sometimes getting stuck, not being able to lock both doors from the outside, and the gas door latching mechanism was broken (which I could see). So I looked around and found a complete cylinder and key lock set that would replace all the locks. Its from from Japan by way of Dubai, and will take maybe 2 months to get here, but its less than half the price of buying it from the standard Toyota parts sites. I have other maintenance things to do on the truck so I dont mind waiting, and its just a minor inconvenience.

Anyways, while browsing this site, I saw you can get exact vehicle info by registering with Toyota's Owners site. When I did, I saw that this truck came with a factory keyless entry. This is the package:

VP CONVENIENCE PKG W/KEYLES ENTRY PWR

So my question is how does this relate to the cylinder lock set I just purchased? Are they paired to each other, and will I need to buy a new keyless entry thing? Can I get a replacement FOB to see if it works? I assume this would need to be programmed with whats in the truck now. Is that just a dealer thing, or can I do it myself? Any guidance is appreciated.

2. Sep 2, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    speedtre likes this.
  3. Sep 2, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    Childs

Childs [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The part number for the set is 69005-34040 (originally 69005-34041). I ordered mine from CarMarka. I ordered 69005-34040 for $160, although I see they also sell the original for $115. Of course, damn my tunnel vision. lol Its an odd parts site, as they are based in Dubai but have access to parts centers all over the world. Just researching it, it seems legit enough, although like I said it takes forever for shipping, but the US Toyota parts site want over $400 for this set. And with the long shipping time, they charge handling and relatively high shipping. In my case $15 handling and $40 shipping, but it still came out $200 less.

And thanks for the link! I was more wondering if the keys were connected to the keyless entry system, so when the previous owner replaced the cylinder key it caused the current behavior with all the locks, or if it keyless entry unit was faulty. But seeing how to find the receiver, and program is helpful. The fobs look cheap, so I'll just get one and try to program it to see if it fixes the issues.

bmf4069 likes this.
  4. Sep 9, 2019 at 10:13 PM
    Childs

Childs [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just an FYI it turns out I have an RS3000 security system. I ordered a generic fob for part BAB237131-022 (grey) on ebay. It works OK, although the buttons are really soft. Probably get something else later, but at least it works.

One note on the programming. Only hold the ECU button for 3 secs so that it turns a solid red on the security light, then let go and hit the button on the remote immediately. If the security light starts flashing, you held too long. If it chirps twice after hitting the button on the fob, something went wrong and try again. If its successful it should just chirp once. Initially I was going past 3 secs and didnt notice the security lights were flashing when I tried to program the fob. It's a little awkward making sure you are pressing the ECU button and looking at the security lights at the same time. Made a 5 min thing take an hour before I realized why it would only worked one time for one remote. lol

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    bmf4069 and speedtre like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top